• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC World Womens Sevens R3 - Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hire the SCG as well. GA Tickets to day 1 of the event allow free transfer from SFS to SCG, or even to watch Shute Shield Club 7's on Bus Loop or Kippax Oval.

Stuff it, go the Full Monty and run a School Boys/School Girls 7's tournament on the SBHS ovals in Centennial Park as well.

Hire someone from the Australian Open Tennis. They seem capable of organising a tournament across multiple venues. Some of their fixtures draw a decent crowd, many don't.

Kid's mini rugby in between the two ovals

T

TOCC

It does occur now. On the Dubai leg.

Across 2 fields and the men and women's are staggered across 3 days. Womens play Thu-Fri and men play Fri-Sat..
Women have the main field on Thu but are relegated to the second field on Fri, with only the women's Plate and Cup GF/SF been played on the main field.

Sure you could do this in Sydney with the women playing at the SFS on Fri and then moving to the SCG on Sat while the men play at the SFS..

But what is it that this actually achieves? the reality is that Friday would be a poor crowd during the day and then on Sat you have to choose between watching the men at the SFS or watching the women at the SCG.

If you watch the women at the SCG do you then have to go to the SFS for the women's plate and final?

I personally don't like the idea of multiple fields and shunting the women's to the SCG and making them play second fiddle to the men.

Hong Kong ran the Olympic qualifiers alongside over 3 days, however due to the structure of the women's Seven's means they also has more games with an extra 12 games of finals for all the various plate, cup and bowl finals matches that the qualifiers didn't play.

T

TOCC

I just don't want a scenario where the women are playing in front of a handful of people on a cricket pitch while next door the men are playing in front of 40'000 cheering fans.

If they are dead keen on combining the two then the alternative is making it a 3 day event, but with that is the risk of poor crowds on Friday.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think the ARU will put the Aussie Women's team's fixtures at the alternative field. Probably not the NZ ones either, or any finals. All those games will be on the SFS. Do you think the event will get a bigger crowd if it's a stand alone tournament? Didn't look very full on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I just don't want a scenario where the women are playing in front of a handful of people on a cricket pitch while next door the men are playing in front of 40'000 cheering fans.

If they are dead keen on combining the two then the alternative is making it a 3 day event, but with that is the risk of poor crowds on Friday.

If they are clever with the games they schedule on Friday night after 6pm they could have three hours of top notch sevens, filling the stands with Friday night post-work revellers. They would only have empty stands on Friday daytime, which is when the seeded teams are playing the worst team in their group. Half a day with poor crowds is a small price to pay for the huge plus that having the women's sevens playing, including the gold medal winning Australian Olympic team, would give the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.