• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes vs Waratahs Saturday 6th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
bloody New Zealanders get another brother combo. First Whitelock's now Savea's.. want to give us one?
To top it off, the young hooker for Crusaders is the Whitelock's cousin!!! We working on a breeding programme over there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Also interesting the remarks about halfbacks, as I always thought Wallabies (and Aussie teams) always tended to have a lot of their 9s as the playmaker , where tradionally, where ABs tend to run the backline from 10. I not saying always but just a trend in Aus with players like Farr Jones, Gregan and even Genia. I know Larkham, Noddy etc were great 10s, but just played a little like 12s did in NZ as almost second playmaker. I could be wrong (and probably am) just impression I have had for awhile.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
bloody New Zealanders get another brother combo. First Whitelock's now Savea's.. want to give us one?

From the 2000s in Australia...

Last ones to both play for Aus were the Kefus (number 8, inside centre). Post Kefus, the Tahs had the Edmonds (hooker and five eighth). Currently, there are the Lucases (five eighth at the Reds, scrumhalf at the Tahs), and the Timanis (Sita at lock, Lopeti and number 8). Morahans are still a possibility (wing/fullback Reds, outside centre Reds Academy), although time is probably up for the Tapuais. Oh, and earlier there was Tyrone and George Smith at the Brumbies.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, too. No doubt a couple of people will remind me.

If you want to be cheeky, you could refer to Ebersohn at the Force, although he's not Australian, he does have a brother playing Supe rugby.

If you want cross-code, there were the Kasopowiczes (one medium-fast bowler for Queensland and Australia, one blindside flanker for the Tahs).

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Brothers in Rugby:-

Ray (Mr. Perpetual Motion) and Don Price (Parramatta Two Blues)

Philip and Mitchell Cox (Manly Marlins)

Ed and Tom Carter (Sydney University)

etc.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brothers in Rugby:-

etc.

The New Zealand Rugby Museum web site appears to be off line ATM.

Brothers I know that have pulled on the Black jumper are:
Going - Sid, Ken and Brian (I think) Did all three play at once?
Whetten - Twins Allan and Gary
Meads - Colin and Stan (both Second row)
Brooke - Zinzan and Robin
Deans - Dingo and Bruce

Fom the NH, There is the Underwoods, Tony and Rory(ENG); Hastings, Scott and Gavin (SCO) and Quinnell Scott and ? from WAL. All the Jones, Williams and Davies from WAL must be related and there must be a bro or two in there.

We have the Ella's Mark, Glen (Twins) and Gary.

How long before the Savea's join this rather special club, and will the Whitelocks do one better than the Ella's and Going's and have all four in black?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
How about brothers who have represented different countries internationally? Currently, one example is Manu Tuilagi for England and his 4 or 5 other brothers for Samoa.

For Australia, off the top of my head I can think of Matt Cockbain, and his brother Brent who played for Wales.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brothers in Different Countries. There is a Waldrom (Thomas) playing for the Soap Dodgers. His elder brother Scott has played for the Darkness but has not been capped in a Test.

Tana Umaga - Darkness. Elder Bro Mike - Manu Samoa.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tana Umaga - Darkness. Elder Bro Mike - Manu Samoa.

There's been a few AB/Samoa connections.

Rodney So'oialo's brother played for Manu Samoa.

Before the rules restricted int'l representation, Stephen Bachop played for both the ABs and Manu Samoa, while his brother Graeme played for the ABs.

Mo Schwalger played for Manu Samoa and his bro John played for the ABs.

And not brothers, but father (Bryan) played for ABs whilst two sons (Paul and Gavin) played for Samoa.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Salesi ma'afu's brothers played for tonga and Fiji, making 3 countries from the 1 family. Can't remember which way around though. Was it Campese at tonga?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How about brothers who have represented different countries internationally? Currently, one example is Manu Tuilagi for England and his 4 or 5 other brothers for Samoa.

For Australia, off the top of my head I can think of Matt Cockbain, and his brother Brent who played for Wales.

You missed another current one :D

Sitaleki Timani plays for the Wallabies and brother Sione Timani plays for Tonga.

Reactions: Ash

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brothers in rugby:

etc.

Don't forget the Burkes, Brad and Matt. Started at Randwick, I think they both went over to the dark side. I seem to recall Matt turning out for Easts and Manly before ending up at Balmain.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This whole sibling/family thing could almost become a wiki topic:

3rd Generation International Players (GrandPa, Pa and Son) - One Nation

3rd Generation International Players (GrandPa, Pa and Son) - Any Nations

2nd Generation International Players (Pa and Son) - One Nation

2nd Generation International Players (Pa and Son) - Any Nations

2 Generations International Players (Grandpa and Grandson) - One Nation

2 Generations International Players (Grandpa and Grandson) - Any Nation

International Siblings (One Nation) - Special subcategory - Twins

International Siblings (Two or More Nations)

Repeat above classifications for Provincial/Super Franchise Rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
For NZ HJ, there were a couple of brothers played in early 60s, the mighty Don was Fullback and his brother Ian was Prop. Funny thing was back in those days on NH tours it was usual for Barbarians to select a plyer from touring party for the final game against tham, and in those days you could take a mark from anywhere on field, Don Clarke took a drop out 25 (see I remember old terms:confused:), Ian took a mark , and not knowing what else to do dropped kick the ball over posts to get BaaBaas only points.

Status
Not open for further replies.