• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

I hate to gloat BUT... (HIG v BRU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
How ponderously slow is Gerrard?

Brumboys took the foot off the gas and nearly let the Highlanders take the game. The Clan looked like both world beaters and cellar dwellars in the same game. I sort of wonder if the Brumbies helped the Clan looked better, but full credit to the Clan, they did a lot better than I gave them credit for. Mortlock and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) got the Brumbies out of a lot of trouble early on.

Did anyone notice Mortlock doing all the talking when the Brumbies were down? Hoiles stood there silently after most of the Clan tries. Mortlock and Moore were aso telling Hoiles what decisions to make at times. At this point I still think that Hoiles is lucky he's captain or he'd be likely to be riding the pine.

The individual try from Bowden was freakish. That kid looks like a real confidence player.

S

Spook

Currently acquiring match. Hoiles as captain ???

One wonders why the Brumbies decided not to tackle for large portions of the match :nta:

This is quite good from Growden:

Then in the second half, from the back of a breakdown, Mortlock had the room to again attack the line at full speed, hit and spin in the tackle, and once more finish off the attacking move. It was then time to get some other people into the action. Mortlock's impact improved when his five-eighth Christian Lealiifano, who in last week's trial against the Waratahs obviously thought he was rugby's version of Cliffy Lyons by running across field all night, realised how much more effective it was to go straight, and take the ball to the line.

FFS! ::)

Mortlock the ball-player is improving nicely. He has shown nice hands in the last few games for Oz and I've just read he threw a lovely cutout for a try.

R

rugbywhisperer

two disturbing facets for mne were as ,mentioned the sideways actions of 9/10 (where on earth did this come from) and the love to giving the ball back to the opposition at crucial stages just so you and your mates can tackle your self to oblivion. The last 2 Highlanders tries were a result of great ball retention skills after being handed the ball on a plate. The poor old pony forwards were just too buggered to stop the highlander momentum.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Holmes still isn't up to starting. Why the need to bring the ball up to his chest everytime before a pass?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Holmes still isn't up to starting. Why the need to bring the ball up to his chest everytime before a pass?

The ponies were very average, their whole game seems to be play field position and hope for a set piece so Mortlock et al can crash over.

Holmes showed his "combative skills" when the highlanders reserve 9 just blew him off a loose ball.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
fatprop said:
Noddy said:

The ponies were very average, their whole game seems to be play field position and hope for a set piece so Mortlock et al can crash over.

Holmes showed his "combative skills" when the highlanders reserve 9 just blew him off a loose ball.

Are you talking about the one that was still in the ruck?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Holmes is such a pussy, I've never seen any rugby player so afraid of contact.

S

Spook

Hey Fat prop, did you not see the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try or the Gerrard try?How did they involve mortlock barging over. By the way, they were 1/2 the tries scored. Furthermore, most teams try and play for field position mate. Holmes needs to do a lot of work on his defense (his tackling was good in this match IMO) but Beale is just as bad or worse..and you don't think he has a problem nor do you mention it. You are a mega troll. Please piss off.

The Brumby pigs did their job for most of the match as reflected by the field position and posession stats.. Very tired in the last 10. Was impressed by the Highlanders fitness. Lot more work for the Brumbies to do. Pretty scrappy overall.

I think Alexander is a worse scrummager than Henderson at loose head. :nta: Shep looked good.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Holmes made all his tackles when he came on so you are all talking shite

No he didn't, Holmes let the little halfback spin out of his tackle just before the Highlanders scored thier 4th try. It's not just his tackling anyway he does a Gregan at the back of the ruck by standing and waiting for others to clean out when he should put his head over the ball.

S

Spook

disco said:
Holmes made all his tackles when he came on so you are all talking shite

No he didn't, Holmes let the little halfback spin out of his tackle just before the Highlanders scored thier 4th try. It's not just his tackling anyway he does a Gregan at the back of the ruck by standing and waiting for others to clean out when he should put his head over the ball.

I DEFINITELY agree that he doesn't dig in enough though. You are talking sh|te about his tackling in this game.

Oh and fuck off about Gregan. ;) Watch some footage of him in his prime and compare than to Burgess. Light years apart in terms of class.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Watch some footage of him in his prime and compare than to Burgess.

Gregan was brilliant before 2003 no doubt, but unfortunately he played on 3-4 years past his prime.

S

Spook

disco said:
Watch some footage of him in his prime and compare than to Burgess.

Gregan was brilliant before 2003 no doubt, but unfortunately he played on 3-4 years past his prime.

...and who was better 2003+? Don't say Burgess as his international season last year was poor.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
..and who was better 2003+? Don't say Burgess as his international season last year was poor.
Apart from his pass I would say that Burgess was better than Gregan 03-07, Burgess was voted best on tour by this website.

S

Spook

disco said:
..and who was better 2003+? Don't say Burgess as his international season last year was poor.
Apart from his pass I would say that Burgess was better than Gregan 03-07, Burgess was voted best on tour by this website.

:lmao: based on what? His games in club rugby? You can't prove any thing.

The Brumbies won the S12 in 2004 with Gregan and won the medal of excellence in 2006. Knuckles tried Gits at 9 but resorted back to GG. They are my evidence. ;)

Burgess was voted best by this site due to number of Waratah posters. If you check the ARU site for best player on tour as voted by the general public you'll find Burgess does not get a mention .

Your Player of the Spring Tour
December 18, 2008 - 11:43am
Story by: ARU

Your Player of the Spring Tour - George Smith
Qantas Wallabies flanker George Smith, as usual (!), has won our latest poll on www.rugby.com.au and been named Your Player of the Spring Tour.

The very popular Smith, who has already won his second John Eales Medal and the RUPA Medal of Excellence for player of the year in 2008, scored a whopping 79.6% (6839 votes) of the impressive 8592 votes we received.

Next up, way back on 7.3%, was young Brumbies hooker Stephen Moore who built on his growing reputation with some polished performances.

In third place on 5.8% was hard working Western Force lock and captain Nathan Sharpe, followed by his Force team mate and goal kicking flyhalf extraordinaire, Matt Giteau (5.6%).

Rounding out our top five is Brumbies utility back Adam Ashley-Cooper (1.8%), who gave a one hundred percent effort on tour wherever in the backline he was used.
That looks pretty accurate to me. Ben Robinson unlucky to miss out.

I hope Burgess becomes the best 1/2 back in the world but you are being grossly unfair on GG and grossly overrating Burgess.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Knuckles tried Gits at 9 but resorted back to GG.

MCG 2007 All Blacks all over us like a cheap suit Gregan comes off Staniforth on Gits to halfback suddenly we're on the front foot with a dangerous halfback willing to snipe Larkham has the shackles released as the All Blacks inside defenders can't drift from the ruck straight onto Larkaham.

Then Mortlock has more freedom & starts to run riot we comeback from 15-6 down to win 20-15.

Gregan was good 03-07 but not a match winner although he did still pull off some great cover tackles.

Burgess isn't half the player GG was 99-01 but he definitely brought more to the tablke than GG 03-07.

Anyway the fact still remains that Josh Holmes needs to show more ticker at the breakdown.

Off to a wedding Go Tahs & Reds.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If, in future, I ever want to compare the biggest difference between Gregan and Burgess, it will be at the Barbarians match 2008.

Gregan comes on, and at one of his first rucks stands and points down while looking at the ref. That is where Gregan lost it in the last half of his Wallabies career, though in part that was due to the era in which he played.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Hey Fat prop, did you not see the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try or the Gerrard try?How did they involve mortlock barging over. By the way, they were 1/2 the tries scored. Furthermore, most teams try and play for field position mate. Holmes needs to do a lot of work on his defense (his tackling was good in this match IMO) but Beale is just as bad or worse..and you don't think he has a problem nor do you mention it. You are a mega troll. Please piss off.

The Brumby pigs did their job for most of the match as reflected by the field position and posession stats.. Very tired in the last 10. Was impressed by the Highlanders fitness. Lot more work for the Brumbies to do. Pretty scrappy overall.

I think Alexander is a worse scrummager than Henderson at loose head. :nta: Shep looked good.

:lmao: calm down spookie

I said Mortlock et al............................. the crash ball was Brumbies go to play all game whether that be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mortlock or Gerrard, it was a good pass from Mortlock, and Holmes is afraid to get dirty and put his body on the line in defence or attack.

The Brumbies were very very lucky not to have a load of pigs in the bin, they were falling on the wrong side of the ruck all game to slow the highlanders ball and got away with it - good luck to them. A thousand years ago they would have ended up with a stud marks across their back, but now we have to hope the ref takes action.

I Agree Beale is just as bad a tackler as he grabs, but at least he isn't afraid to go into contact - and I have mentioned before that he should have spent to whole off season in the sand pit, not half eating pies and the other half stripping them off.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spook said:
Oh and fuck off about Gregan...in his prime and compare than to Burgess. Light years apart in terms of class.

Television wasn't invented then it was so long ago. What was your expression? Ah yes, light years. That's it, light years ago. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.