• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ICC Champions League

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
First up we opened a Superbru pool for those interesting taking us Saffers up on the cricket. Pool Code
cadslien

We just may use this one as the official thread for this one starting tomorrow with a clash between SA & Sri Lanka. See the Proteas look full of confidense but I beg to differ. Think they will be rusted and havent played top class cricket since Australia left.

The tournament will start with two pools and the two top teams in each pool will meet in the semis.
Fixture list
ICC Champions Trophy 2009/10 | Fixtures
September 2009
22 South Africa v Sri Lanka ODI SuperSport Park, Centurion 14:30
23 Pakistan v West Indies ODI Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg 14:30
24 South Africa v New Zealand ODI SuperSport Park, Centurion 09:30
25 England v Sri Lanka ODI Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg 14:30
26 Australia v West Indies ODI Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg 09:30
26 India v Pakistan ODI SuperSport Park, Centurion 14:30
27 New Zealand v Sri Lanka ODI Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg 09:30
27 South Africa v England ODI SuperSport Park, Centurion 14:30
28 Australia v India ODI SuperSport Park, Centurion 14:30
29 England v New Zealand ODI Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg 14:30
30 Australia v Pakistan ODI SuperSport Park, Centurion 09:30
30 India v West Indies ODI Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg 14:30
October 2009
2 A1 v B2 ODI SuperSport Park, Centurion (SF1) 14:30
3 B1 v A2 ODI Liberty Life Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg (SF2) 14:30
5 TBC v TBC ODI SuperSport Park, Centurion (Final) 14:30

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Getting down to the business end of the comp with NZ and the Poms surprising semi-finalists while the more fancied SA, Sri Lanka and India are all on the way home (or already home in the case of the proteas). This is a tough tournament to win, probably tougher than the world cup, given you need to win every game to be sure of progressing. Luck plays a big part.

I am hoping for and Aus NZ final, but given NZ have a history of choking in cricket semi finals, I suspect the pakkies will be there. England would see beating us in the this game as making up for the 6-1 drubbing on home soil.

I se Mitchell Johnson ahas just been named ICC player of the year, thats nice but surprising for me. Surprisingly, there was no SA players on the short list even though they have been one of the best alround cricket teams this year.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm dissapointed that the Saffa's didn't stick around long enough to choke, that is usually the highlight of ODI tournaments for me.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
I'm dissapointed that the Saffa's didn't stick around long enough to choke, that is usually the highlight of ODI tournaments for me.
You came pretty close choking too. ::) If you lose against England, can we call it choking aswell? :fishing

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Moses said:

Uhm, what am I missing? We choked and got bundled out. What did you need us to stick around for? :nta:

But don't mind me. Knock yourself out.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It does raise the question though: what constitutes a choke? Do you have to be one of the favourites? Do you have to make it past the pool group? Do you have to be in a semi- or grand-final? So many things to consider...

It wouldn't surprise me if, after pinning England down to 5/100, we go on to lose this one on Duckworth-Lewis :)

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
strong performance by aus today. getting their swagger back you might say. t-paine was huge with the gloves and ponting and twatson more than held down the batting. looking good for the final.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Ponting's ultimate talent - just when you've written him off as captain choke-aholic he comes back with an innings like that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gagger said:
Ponting's ultimate talent - just when you've written him off as captain choke-aholic he comes back with an innings like that.

Must have been talking to Tubs Taylor...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nah he had a few situations (maybe 5 or 6) where people had the axe ready over his poor batting, and then he'd pull out a class innings to shut them up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Speaking of class innings, Shane Watson pulled us out of the fire last night. Any comment Nick? Is now definitely an international class allrounder, and has secured a spot at the top of the order for some time.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Cameron White continues to impress since they gave up on him bowling too.
Watson really excelled last night, I thought Punter was lucky to get player of the tournament with a failure in the final

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Whites been bagged for a while, and probably deservedly. Or moreso the selectors who have rushed him (at both state and test level) for his whole career. He had the misfortune of being a rookie blonde haired leg spinner from Victoria at the same time a veteran one was finishing his career.

I said at the time that I thought White would come good and prove, at the shorterned game, to be another Darren Leham type. A good leader. Very solid middle order player who could crank it up in the final overs, or push it around for a solid inning as needed whilst being an occasional bowler on the right pitch.

I'd pick him as our 20/20 skipper ahead of Clarke.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
McCallum make a few vokops yesterday. On that pitch you have to bowl first. Then he drop a sitter, for a wickey. Catches win matches and if wicket drop the sitters its game set and match.

Bliksem you lot were lucky you havent got the Proteas in the final. We would have eat you alive on that wicket.

Status
Not open for further replies.