• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for Australian Rugby Union

• Thread starter Sydney Wallabies
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It's all about marketing and exposure. The NRL and AFL have it and exploit it. We don't. I agree with pretty much everything that has been suggested development. I think getting the Wallaroos out there to really promote girls Rugby would be a masterstroke to be honest. Everyone (at least in male dominated sports) underestimates the enthusiasm women have for contact sports. If the ARU spent money to market Rugby to girls by 1) increasing funding to the Wallaroos program and 2) Setting up women's/girls Rugby competitions with regular Wallaroo visits will greatly assist the game in this country. For those who don't think it will work, well this year in Wollongong they established a Women's RL Comp. It started with only a couple of teams but by seasons end there were 7 teams participating. Already for next season 3 others have started and will compete. In 12 months its gone from no League for Women to a 10 team Competition. Rugby should be looking to do similar. Once women realise that the game isn't as dangerous as many would have thought.

Apart from that I think a few things must occur. Tahs games out west and regional NSW .i.e. Wollongong, CC, Newcastle etc. Use the SFS for big games but spread the love. Market the game. Plain and simple. Make it effective and demonstrate how much fun Rugby really is. Start a summer 7s series with all the Super Franchises from Australiaand if they are up for it NZ. Sell it to OneHD. Its not Super Rugby on FTA but its a start. Identify and target priority regions. The Melbourne Rebels will have a similar effect in growth of the game to that of the Force. So the ARU needs to focus on youth growth regions. Most obvious are Western Sydney, Central Coast and SEQ. Focus around 80% of its development efforts in those regions (in a big way). Start in the Primary Schools through 7s, graduate to 10's in the junior years of high school and 15s in seniors. With an increase thanks to the next TV deal this should be possible without affecting other regions to badly.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That wasn't what I made this thread for RF.

AFL is more the enemy atm compared to league.

I don't see Gallop saying they're out to destroy rugby.

The way Demetriou is carrying on he is trying to kill rugby.

What?

I don't recall Demetriou ever suggesting that he's out to target rugby.

The AFL don't see rugby as a target.

I think you're confusing rugby with the NRL...

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It's all about marketing and exposure. The NRL and AFL have it and exploit it. We don't. I agree with pretty much everything that has been suggested development. I think getting the Wallaroos out there to really promote girls Rugby would be a masterstroke to be honest. Everyone (at least in male dominated sports) underestimates the enthusiasm women have for contact sports. If the ARU spent money to market Rugby to girls by 1) increasing funding to the Wallaroos program and 2) Setting up women's/girls Rugby competitions with regular Wallaroo visits will greatly assist the game in this country. For those who don't think it will work, well this year in Wollongong they established a Women's RL Comp. It started with only a couple of teams but by seasons end there were 7 teams participating. Already for next season 3 others have started and will compete. In 12 months its gone from no League for Women to a 10 team Competition. Rugby should be looking to do similar. Once women realise that the game isn't as dangerous as many would have thought.

Apart from that I think a few things must occur. Tahs games out west and regional NSW .i.e. Wollongong, CC, Newcastle etc. Use the SFS for big games but spread the love. Market the game. Plain and simple. Make it effective and demonstrate how much fun Rugby really is. Start a summer 7s series with all the Super Franchises from Australiaand if they are up for it NZ. Sell it to OneHD. Its not Super Rugby on FTA but its a start. Identify and target priority regions. The Melbourne Rebels will have a similar effect in growth of the game to that of the Force. So the ARU needs to focus on youth growth regions. Most obvious are Western Sydney, Central Coast and SEQ. Focus around 80% of its development efforts in those regions (in a big way). Start in the Primary Schools through 7s, graduate to 10's in the junior years of high school and 15s in seniors. With an increase thanks to the next TV deal this should be possible without affecting other regions to badly.

I agree with everything except the bit about 10's. We need to simplify the game not make it more complicated. It was frustrating playing junior club rugby 10's, then going to school and playing 13's on a saturday and 10's on a sunday. Then junior club rugby became 15's and school was still 13's.

It gets annoying and ultimatly leads to kids having underdeveloped positional play. Because they never really grasp the specific skill set of their position, untill they are much older. Get them playing the proper U20 rules by the age of 12.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The transition between schools and pros is a big issue, semi pro academy if they are lucky for about 30 (with no comp, just elite training and club games), with the NRL have how many contracts for their Toyota Cup where you get pro training and a full pro season?

In sales terms the Aus rugby funnel is too small

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who has contacts within ARU to get these ideas in front of J'ON and the other pony tail wearing marketers at ARU HQ?

Put all of our ideas up on the board and debate them thoroughly.

These represent the ideas of your shareholders. Ignore them at your peril.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who has contacts within ARU to get these ideas in front of J'ON and the other pony tail wearing marketers at ARU HQ?

the blog.

I am sure we could come up with a blog piece on it. Let's keep the ideas coming, and wait for this test and the reviews to finish and then I am happy to put together a piece for the front page.

George

Frank Nicholson (4)
What about use of the Try / No Try sign for Super games and Tests.
Am sure Lachie Turner didnt know what was going on last night, use of the sign would allow crowd to get involved be it for or against.
Also how about promotion of GOLD factor at tests, suit and scarf not enough. Would rather crowd look like sea of gold than wondering who everybody is supporting.
ARU needs affordable merchandise. What can you buy as stocking fillers for kids who are rugby fans? The NRL and AFL and now even soccer have so much to buy - shoe laces, lunch boxes, clocks, wallets, pencil cases and even big kids stuff wheelie bin pictures, car seat covers etc etc ARU needs to play catch up.

Finally, Congrats to The Old Boys Choir for making things happen. Was great, shame couldnt be heard, but kudos for the effort!!!! Wonderful to hear Waltzing Matilda too

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

I’m from Newcastle so could be different in Sydney & elsewhere but with women’s rugby funding it should go into setting up women’s/girls rugby comps. Expanding the existing school girl comp but also introduce U19s, U17s, etc at club level cause that’s where the heart of the game is. It’s either that or a full time development officer to get in there & make promoting women’s rugby their full time job.

As harsh as this sounds most if not all school girls don’t play rugby because of the Wallaroos or the chance to play for Australia – just ask, many are hard pressed to name a single Wallaroo. They seem to want to play for the same reasons I did when I was 16, because its fun, it’s a contact sport, a family member played it, & it’s different. Women’s rugby should be promoted with those things in mind.

As much as I want women’s rugby to have a competitive national team I feel these things need to come second to the grass roots especially when you see our women’s rugby numbers around 1200-1800 & NZ & England both around 10000. However, some national players are delusional & out of touch saying that the lack of a pathway to represent your country is what will seriously damage women’s rugby. Like I said earlier girls play mostly for the fun of it.

I’d be careful putting too much funding into the Wallaroos, perhaps when our numbers are closer to 5000 it would be different.

This is an article that explains the funding situation for a little background knowledge but basically the ARU wanted to put money into the grassroots of women’s rugby and cut back on women’s rep rugby (like the Wallaroos).

http://www.sydneyuniwomen.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=24654

On the subject of 7s, 10s then 15s Rugby that is a good idea. Ideally you want players playing 15s but sometimes you cant get enough for 15s, so use 7s & 10s first then when it gets more popular & more people come into the game you’ll be able to bring it up to 15s. I think it’s better to start somewhere & build then just not do anything.

S

Sydney Wallabies

What?

I don't recall Demetriou ever suggesting that he's out to target rugby.

The AFL don't see rugby as a target.

I think you're confusing rugby with the NRL...

He says that but we know that trying to kill off league in Sydney is impossible.

The game is an institution in Sydney and Brisbane.

The fact that their current wankfest with GWS seems to be targeting the Hills District says they are targeting rugby and getting free publicity from the NRL by whipping up hysteria among league fans.

I know that the Hills has a large rugby fanbase.

S

Sydney Wallabies

In saying that though more promotion of the club competitions is needed.

The crowds for club rugby are scratchy at best and there's a lot more that can be done to get more people to watch club rugby.

A fairer spread of talent around the clubs is a must.

After reading Inside Rugby a few months back where they had an article with a pic of the Tahs in their club colours, it didn't surprise me that Sydney Uni had the bulk of the players.

Considering how well Southern Districts are going, I am hoping and praying that Robbie Deans doesn't tell the players to go back and play club rugby again as we'll be totally screwed having to play Uni with all their rep players.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
In saying that though more promotion of the club competitions is needed.

The crowds for club rugby are scratchy at best and there's a lot more that can be done to get more people to watch club rugby.

A fairer spread of talent around the clubs is a must.

After reading Inside Rugby a few months back where they had an article with a pic of the Tahs in their club colours, it didn't surprise me that Sydney Uni had the bulk of the players.

Considering how well Southern Districts are going, I am hoping and praying that Robbie Deans doesn't tell the players to go back and play club rugby again as we'll be totally screwed having to play Uni with all their rep players.

That is a big problem in Brisbane that needs to be looked at. The comp is finished and the QLD based Wallabies do not have competition to return to. Brisbane comp should run to finish the same week as the shute shield.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He says that but we know that trying to kill off league in Sydney is impossible.

The game is an institution in Sydney and Brisbane.

The fact that their current wankfest with GWS seems to be targeting the Hills District says they are targeting rugby and getting free publicity from the NRL by whipping up hysteria among league fans.

I know that the Hills has a large rugby fanbase.

Lately I've been working in the AFL, and I can honestly tell you that rugby union is not even on their radar...

They're not trying to kill it off...

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
perhaps consciously they're thinking mungoball but they don't realise that these areas they're targeting are actually the rugby areas

S

Sydney Wallabies

My experience in the Hills district would leave me to believe that it's more mungo land?

It's funny you say that, mate.

My girlfriend is from up that way and she tells me most people she knew follows rugby.

She is a rugby fan anyway.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
A great idea, I think afl already do stuff like this, but the more kids you get interested in our game, the better.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

the blog.

I am sure we could come up with a blog piece on it. Let's keep the ideas coming, and wait for this test and the reviews to finish and then I am happy to put together a piece for the front page.

Happy to contribute to a more reasoned debate than my previous rants via the blog front page, if nothing more than proofreading any drafts you may have, or co-authoring the piece. PM me if you want to take the offer up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
-More rugby shows on tv (free to air) other than the rugby club
-In NSW multiple Shute shield matches televised each weekend, not just 'match of the round'
-Get oz tag in junior schools from a young age. I work at afterschool care a few days a week at a Syd primary school and we always play touch footy. Doing my bit to convert as many of them as i can to play rugby not sookball.
-Plain and simple better and more frequent advertising...
- Getting into the american market would be a huge plus for obvious reasons. 4th Bled should be in Denver...
- Rugby 11 for xbox/ps3 . Rugby 06/08 are awesome games so an updated version should get some new kids playing and loving the game!

More TV exposure. FTA or on Fox, I don't really care.
The Jarses have discovered the NZ ITM Competition on Foxtel.
As said previously on some thread here, too much rugy in the Jarse household is not enough.

Today we managed to see 3 ITM games on Fox, and see the Students vs Beasts live at Coogee Oval (The ABC game). I am pretty sure that Fox will show me a couple of ITM games tomorrow.

I am getting to know more about the players in the NZ game than our own Shute Shield players, simply because I can see the games on the TV.

Do you really want the future kids to know more about NZ provincial players and their teams than our own homegrown stars? Then get our AUstralian games on the TV, FTA or Fox.

C

chief

And for fucks sake give us QLD'ers Shute Shield on ABC instead of Arthur. Fucking outrage!

Status
Not open for further replies.