• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Instead of a yellow card, make the player run the perimeter of the field twice before he can come back on. The quicker they do, the faster than can come back on but they'll be more fatigued.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Have the makings of a sin bin on the sideline (timber frames, flooring, side panels, screws, tools etc) and make the sin-binee (tm) assemble his own sin-bin. If he completes it in less than 5 minutes, he gets to come back early after serving a minimum sin-bin period (for our purposes 5 minutes). If he fails to complete the task, the sin-bin period is extended to 15 minutes.

Sure to be a crowd pleaser and it will bring the tradies back into the game :)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Red cards no longer a full game send off, instead they just make sure the pie has a molten core?

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd love to see Red Cards only given for the most deliberate or reckless of dangerous play. I like the idea of citing players and dealing with it after without ruining the game. Warburtons red card was a huge disappointment in the RWC in 2011. I can accept safety is a huge factor in matches, but by and large players are only ever trying to play hard footy. If they make a mistake, like a tip tackle that may look a lot worse live than it actually is, or that has other factors at play, let experts sort it out afterwards in an environment devoid of emotion. Maybe an increase in penalties could be considered to make up for the lesser impact of the Red in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree, it's always been a hate of mine. A red card offence after 10 mins compared to 70 mins just isn't comparable. A red card in the 1st half of any match is pretty much game over and an unfair contest, why ruin a game because of 1 player?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Except the offending player is gone for the match..
No shit Sherlock.

Except he's gone for the rest of the match, if you wish to be pedantic. :)

That'll average out at somewhere around 40 minutes, or half a match. With eight on the bench now, the majority aren't playing eighty minutes anyway so that period of actual disadvantage will be even less.

The bigger penalty is the team being a man short. If some thug blatantly and illegally takes out an oppo player from the game then his team should pay more than 10 minutes with a man down.

Having a red (as two yellows) set at 20 minutes meets that criterion without effectively killing a match where a team is possibly short for 40, 50, or 60+ minutes.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Red cards need to stay as they are, however I think it should be 3 yellows before you get a red - so many players nowadays get away with yellow card offences towards the end of a game if they got a yellow earlier.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it goes both ways though.

Referees often seem more hesitant to use a red card, particularly early in a game because they know it will be highly likely to determine the final result, even when it looks like a pretty obvious red card offence.

Reconciling between the laws of the game and what they suggest are red card offences (particularly in relation to dangerous tackles) and what happens on the field in the professional game seems necessary. Currently the laws are far harsher than referees tend to be.

The result seems to be that many dangerous tackles are only given yellow cards but the judiciary judges them red card offences and then suspends the player.

Perhaps if the punishment for a red card was reduced, referees would use them more appropriately.

D

daz

After 22 pages and 436 posts, I have finally realised what idea I have for the NRC in 2015:

I think it would be great idea for the Melbourne Rising to not choke in the final.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
to be fair they didn't choke in the final last year, so if they stay the course and choke in the semi you should be all sorted

T

TOCC

they should mike up the players..
Have Sean Maloney talking to one of the wingers while the piggies are packing the scrum.. BBL style..

Status
Not open for further replies.