• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Injured Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So we have a clear idea who's missing in action and, therefore, not in Robbie's squad, here's a list of the walking wounded:

Chisholm
Dunning
Elsom
Freier edited, thanks Juan
Genia
Hodgson
G Holmes
Ioane
Kepu
Lucas
Palu edited, thanks Naza
Shepherd
Tahu

I've included Dunning as he was unavailable when the first squad was picked.

Whom have I missed? Who among these would get into a Wallaby 22? Should Higgibotham've been looked at due to the attrition rate of number 6s?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From Foxsports

Meanwhile, Wallabies medical staff have begun assessing Australia's Tri-Nations stocks ahead of the naming of a squad for the tournament next week.

Rocky Elsom (leg), Wycliff Palu (hand) and under-20 World Cup star Rob Horne (hamstring) were checked on Wednesday, while Kurtley Beale (hamstring) is another who will be assessed.

Palu is expected to play club rugby this weekend, while doubt persists over when Elsom will be recovered from bone bruising.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Who'd get into a full strength 22?

Chisholm - maybe, but probably not
Dunning - maybe
Elsom - definately
Genia - probably (but only if he'd played in the last 3 games)
Hodgson - no
G Holmes - nup
Ioane - definately
Kepu - no
Lucas - no
Shepherd - maybe
Tahu - nup
MMM - probably

I think most of us (and Robbie) would have Elsom and Ioane straight into the starting 15. Probably half would have Shep in the 15 jumper or at least on the bench, and most would have Dunning, MMM and Genia on the bench. So I'd say we are missing 5-6 top players due to injury (ie approximately 25%).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A few of those guys would make the impact of the bench a lot better at least, and that is very important

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scotty said:
Who'd get into a full strength 22?

Chisholm - maybe, but probably not
Dunning - maybe
Elsom - definately
Genia - probably (but only if he'd played in the last 3 games)
Hodgson - no
G Holmes - nup
Ioane - definately
Kepu - no
Lucas - no
Shepherd - maybe
Tahu - nup
MMM - probably

Is this just special bait laid out for me ?

CLIFFY PALU FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
formeropenside said:

Two things: MMM is a given for any injury list, that's why I didn't include him. And he's gone to Japan, another reason why I left him off. Hugh's made his bed, he has to lie on it.

The purpose of this exercise is to show how important it is to manage injuries in the elite group Australian rugby players. Most (all?) of these blokes would be in either Deans' squad of 30 or playing for Australia A, if we had one. The injuries to Tucky, Kepu and Genia were all bloody bad luck, but the constant appearances of MMM, Shepherd and Tahu at the casualty ward indicate something more serious. I'd suggest their preparations at their Super sides need looking at. Or their bodies aren't up to professional sport, a la FU Watson.

Our current problems at THP exemplify our thin layer of talent at the very top level. This is exactly what Deans is looking to rectify by blooding and developing (Cooper) new players over the last 13 months. We've managed our meagre rugby resources very well in Australia the last few decades; we've spread it thinly but efficiently across our teams like a boarding house scrape of butter. But the problems at THP might bite us on the arse this year, which is why Deans has accelarated Alexander's development in the number 3 jumper.

If all (or most) of these mentioned are fit and well we'll have the depth to win the TriNations this year.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This is where I'd put the patients:

Chisholm squad of 30
Dunning match day 22
Elsom match day 22
Freier Australia A
Genia squad of 30/Australia A
Hodgson Australia A
G Holmes Australia A
Ioane squad of 30
Kepu Australia A
Lucas Australia A
Palu match day 22
Shepherd squad of 30
Tahu Australia A

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would have thought that Ioane would have been one of the first backs picked based on S14 form.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
We've managed our meagre rugby resources very well in Australia the last few decades; we've spread it thinly but efficiently across our teams like a boarding house scrape of butter. But the problems at THP might bite us on the arse this year, which is why Deans has accelarated Alexander's development in the number 3 jumper.

You're exactly right Lindommer. Even in our glory days before and after the 1999 RWC we didn't have a lot of depth but our top 20 players, or so, were damn good. Sometimes they weren't in great form but we picked them anyway because we didn't have a lot below the 20 - even though our Oz A team had some good wins in those years.

The advantage we got from having a small pool of test standard players for a few years is that there wasn't much turnover; they got to play together a lot and our team play was top notch in that period.

Deans is getting Alexander to learn on the job but he should have been given a better apprenticeship at the Brumbies. Fisher didn't give him much of a shake at LHP, let alone THP, and even Friend didn't give him enough development time at THP this year. Mind you, the Brumbies had a lot of close games in 2009 and you tend to dabble in team development in a match when you are comfortably in front on the scoreboard, or uncomfortably well behind it.

I still think that Deans should have had Shepherdson in the squad ahead of Cowan but Deans is taking a long view and if Shepherdson was in the squad then Alexander would be getting little time at THP.

Let's all hope that Alexander makes my opinion look foolish by the end of the year.

Of the crocks: if we wanted our best team to play in 3N this year and they were all available, I would make the following changes to the announced 22 for France. I'm assuming that we wouldn't consider the development of Pocock, or Alexander as a THP.

15. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
14. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)
13. Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies, captain)
12. Berrick Barnes (Queensland Reds)
11. Drew Mitchell (Western Force) Ioane
10. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
8. Richard Brown (Western Force) Palu
7. George Smith (Brumbies)
6. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs) Elsom
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
3. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. Ben Alexander (Brumbies) Dunning
18. Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs) Mumm
19. David Pocock (Western Force) Brown
20. Josh Valentine (Western Force) Genia
21. Ryan Cross (Western Force) Mitchell
22. James O'Connor (Western Force)

Valentine had a top year but Genia was on the rise.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Completely agree with LG, except on the issue of THPs.

Gee, that's 8 changes in a squad of 22. A lot.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Its a pretty good looking 22 though. Importantly, we dont have too many absolute first choice players injured and we dont have our must haves injured. eg Carter and McCaw for the ABs.

If we lost Moore, Baxter, Giteau, a lock or Burgess we would start to feel it. As it is, for the injuries we have, the cover is ok to good.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In tomorrows 22, or the ideal 22, we are most vulnerable to injuries to Giteau and Barnes. Having both crocked shouldn't be contemplated.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lee Grant said:
In tomorrows 22, or the ideal 22, we are most vulnerable to injuries to Giteau and Barnes. Having both crocked shouldn't be contemplated.

I am not so worried about one being crocked. I am terrified of both being crocked. Singing my very old song yet again, Barnes is back-up for Giteau and Giteau is back-up for Barnes.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And there is a very real possibility of both being crocked at some stage, hence Deans' investment in Cooper and O'Connor. If these two continue to develop (particularly O'Connor) we are going to have an embarrasment of riches in the play making positions by 2011 (and that isn't include Beale et al).

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Scotty said:
And there is a very real possibility of both being crocked at some stage, hence Deans' investment in Cooper and O'Connor. If these two continue to develop (particularly O'Connor) we are going to have an embarrasment of riches in the play making positions by 2011 (and that isn't include Beale et al).

Agree Scotty. Beale is yet to show he can guide a S14 team around the park. I reckon Lealifano and, maybe, To'omua, should be ahead of him.

Shaun Berne might come back for 2011 too. That's been his focus the whole time.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Cutter said:
Scotty said:

Agree Scotty. Beale is yet to show he can guide a S14 team around the park. I reckon Lealifano and, maybe, To'omua, should be ahead of him.

Shaun Berne might come back for 2011 too. That's been his focus the whole time.

Jeepers.. Shaun Berne.
Has he improved in euro? I wasn't sad to see him leave. I not sure players go oh-so-well when they try to come back,. more than willing to let him go to the force as a back up. .. yup

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
What concerns me is the lack of talent not only at THP but also at hooker.

At least at prop there are a few takers, but behind Squeeky and TPN there is no-one. Added to that is the fact that TPN is a fair way behind Squeeky.

Should Adam Feier be added to the casualty ward list?

I know that the SMH is already touting Damien Fitzpatrick as the next big thing (similar to Portley, Horne, Burgo et al) so if he is the next cab off the rank behind the current two, then we are more fucked than first thought

Status
Not open for further replies.