• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Injured Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Eddo it was a joke about Berne. I need to start using emoticons.

Hardman would have to be next in line if Frier is out. Fitzpatrick isnt ready to mix it with the big boys yet.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Juan Cote said:
I know that the SMH is already touting Damien Fitzpatrick as the next big thing (similar to Portley, Horne, Burgo et al) so if he is the next cab off the rank behind the current two, then we are more fucked than first thought

He is only mentioned because he has "all the skills". I'm on record since early in Joeys season in 2007 that he would be a Wallaby one day, but, as always when touting schools players, added disclaimers: that he would grow enough (covered) and that he could show the same grunt and hardness at the senior level.

"All the skills" players are good to have in a professional rugby team, but it doesn't mean beans when the chips are down and you're in a physical battle on the high veldt. Young hookers have to get the strength and know how for scrum time and have the ability to play hard in the contests whichever side has the ball.

The most important skill to have is the ability to find the target in the lineout - and I'm talking on game day, not in training.

The ball playing skills that Fitzy used as a backrower in earlier years at Joeys, and which he has taken, as hooker, to Oz Schools and senior rugby, are great to have, but his professional career will be defined by the other attributes mentioned.

I'm going to back him because he seems to have ticker enough to be a starting professional player and has a very level headed, damn your eyes, attitude. He is a leader also.

It's too early to tell if he will be a Wallaby based on S14 performances to date. He could be a dud but at the other extreme he could be a terrific Keith Wood type international player.

Wouldn't that be nice? Watch this space.

On Adam Freier: Yes, Hass should be considered in the Oz pecking order and ranked number 3. He is one of those under-rated players whose high work rate is under valued by we fans who look for the spectacular. In particular he acts as a 2nd fetcher better than any other hooker going around. He's the ideal bench hooker for impact against tired players.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Wise words, Lee, about Fitzy. We need some more "hard-nosed" forwards coming through. All the skills should include being a hard bastard, not dirty, but tough.
Like with Alexander - good to se him carrying the ball well, but if he gets mullered half the time at THP (or indeed LHP) and is missing at the breakdown he is not doing his job. I have high hopes he'll do it.
TPN risks becoming marginalised as a hooker unless he can get the lineout stuff more consistently sorted.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
What about John Ulugia from the Brumbies? What's happened to him? If I recall he got a guernsey for Australia A last year and he looked quite promising (although I guess he's behind Huia Edmonds).

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lance F said:
What about John Ulugia from the Brumbies? What's happened to him? If I recall he got a guernsey for Australia A last year and he looked quite promising (although I guess he's behind Huia Edmonds).

The Brumbies also have Sydney Uni's Nathan Charles, who I rate higher than Fitzpatrick, in their academy. Ulugia is plugging away in Sydney club rugby for Southern Districts. Going to be hard for those young guys to emerge with Stephen Moore & Huia Edmonds there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Charles should go to the Force if it is possible. He's a good player though Nucifora used Fitzpatrick and Whittaker ahead of him in the IRB U20 comp, although Charles was in the team last year.

As I've said before about Alexander - and before he was being thought of as a THP: I'd like to see him cross trained as a hooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.