• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Annual Awards 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know there are still six odd weeks of tests left, but I still think this is worthy of discussion.

Who do you think deserves player, coach, team, referee and try of the year for 2013 at this rate?

I'm going:
Player - Jean de Villiers
Coach - Heyneke Meyer
Team - All Blacks
Referee - Nigel Owens
Try - Beauden Barrett (New Zealand v France, 15 June)

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Player: Kieren Read
Coach: Steve Hansen
Team: Irish and British Lions
Referee: Nigel Owens
Try: Folaus second try in the first Lions test

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Last 4 winners haven't deserved it so can't go with someone who does.

2009: Fourie du Preez
2010: David Pocock
2011: Jerome Kaino
2012: Kieran Read

2013: Adriaan Strauss

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, there is a major breakdown in communication here and I believe the fault lies with zander for braveheart's misunderstanding...........

It should be noted that the players zander listed did NOT win the award that year, and what zander failed to mention is that they're the players that he believed deserved to win..........

So anybody reading that (most people, including myself at first), would've assumed that zander stated that they didn't deserve to win.........

So as it reads, Zander implied that Kaino didn't deserve to win the award (which he didn't), and braveheart has disagreed with that implied statement........

In the end, we all agreed that Kaino deserved it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are you telling me there was a better player than Jerome Kaino in the WC?

Am I taking crazy pills?

You said the last four players to win the award haven't deserved it.

I absolutely think Kaino was the standout player at RWC 2011 which is why I can't understand why you were seemingly saying he didn't deserve to win the award.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, there is a major breakdown in communication here and I believe the fault lies with zander for braveheart's misunderstanding.....

It should be noted that the players zander listed did NOT win the award that year, and what zander failed to mention is that they're the players that he believed deserved to win....

So anybody reading that (most people, including myself at first), would've assumed that zander stated that they didn't deserve to win...

So as it reads, Zander implied that Kaino didn't deserve to win the award (which he didn't), and braveheart has agreed with that implied statement....

In the end, we all agreed that Kaino deserved it.

Thanks for clarifying.

Without looking it up, I did assume Zander had posted the players who won the award.

I guess I didn't read between enough of Zander's lines.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Yes I should've made that clear. Those 4 were definitely the deserved winners in those years so I wouldn't be picking the best player for 2013 for the award. Although now that I think about it a little more, Strauss is quite deserving. Does provincial form count?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
My player of the year nominees

1- Ben Smith (NZ)
2- Jean de Villiers (SA)
3- Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (Arg)
4- Kieran Read (NZ)
5- George North (Wales)

With Ben Smith to get it.

Adrian Strauss and Leigh Halfpenny might sneak into that group.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
My player of the year nominees

1- Ben Smith (NZ)
2- Jean de Villiers (SA)
3- Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (Arg)
4- Kieran Read (NZ)
5- George North (Wales)

With Ben Smith to get it.

Adrian Strauss and Leigh Halfpenny might sneak into that group.

Only one NH player? You're dreaming. They usually get at least three of the five. Halfpenny is a walk-up for one spot, he'll be chosen before North.

Strauss is no chance. I'd guess that the third NH starter might be Jones, the Lions THP. My guess for the other two are Smith and Reid, with de Villiers the unlucky sixth.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Going on the year so far Halfpenny has to be in the 5. Player of the 6 nations and the Lions series.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2013 IRB Award categories: (Some already awarded)
IRB Player of the Year
IRB Team of the Year
IRB Coach of the Year
IRPA Try of the Year
IRB Women's Player of the Year
IRB Development Award
The Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished Service
IRB Spirit of Rugby Award
IRB Junior Player of the Year Sam Davies (Wales)
IRB Sevens Player of the Year Tim Mikkelson (NZL)
IRB Womens Sevens Player of the Year Kayla McAlister (NZL)
IRB Referee Award for Distinguished Service Michel Lamoulie (FRA)
IRB Hall Of Fame Inductees for 2013

Previous Winners.
2012 IRB Award Winners:
IRB Player of the Year Dan Carter (NZL)
IRB Team of the Year New Zealand
IRB Coach of the Year Steve Hansen (NZL)
IRPA Try of the Year Bryan Habana (SAF) vs NZL
IRB Women's Player of the Year Michaela Staniford (ENG)
IRB Development Award South Africa Rugby Union
IRB Spirit of Rugby Award Canadian rugby player Lindsay Hilton for her remarkable achievement in playing rugby despite being born without any limbs.
IRB Junior Player of the Year Jan Serfontein (South Africa)
IRB Sevens Player of the Year Tomasi Cama (NZL)
IRB Referee Award for Distinguished Service Paul Dobson (South Africa)
IRB Hall Of Fame Inductees for 2012
Richard and Kennedy Tsimba (Zimbabwe)

US Olympic Rugby Gold Medal Winning Teams from 1920 and 1924:
1920 squad: Danny Carroll (player/coach), Charles Doe, George Fish, James Fitzpatrick, Joseph Hunter, Morris Kirksey, Charles 'Red' Meehan, John Muldoon, John O’Neil, John 'Jack' Patrick, Cornelius 'Swede' Righter, Colby 'Babe' Slater, Rudolph 'Rudy' Scholz, Robert 'Dink' Templeton, Charles Tilden Jr (captain), Heaton Wrenn, William ‘Bill’ Muldoon, Matthew Hazeltine, Davis 'Dave' Wallace, James Winston, George Davis, Harold von Schmidt.
1924 squad: Philip Clark, Norman ‘Peabody’ Cleveland, Dudley DeGroot, Robert Devereaux, George Dixon, Charles Doe, Linn Farrish, Edward ‘Mush’ Graff, Richard ‘Dick’ Hyland, Caesar Manelli, John O’Neil, John 'Jack' Patrick, William 'Lefty' Rogers, Rudolph 'Rudy' Scholz, Colby 'Babe' Slater (captain), Norman Slater, Edward Turkington, Alan Valentine, Alan Williams, Joseph Hunter, William ‘Bill’ Muldoon, Hugh ‘Pete’ Cunningham, John Cashel., Charles Austin (coach).

Romania Olympic Rugby Bronze Medal winning Team - 1924
Demi (Yoshihiro) Sakata (Japan)
Ian and Donald Campbell (Chile)
Gordon Tietjens (NZL)
Waisale Serevi (Fiji)
Vladimir Ilyushin (Rus)
Alfred St George Hammersley (UK)

2011 IRB Award winners-
IRB Player of the Year:Thierry Dusautoir (France)
IRB Team of the Year:New Zealand
IRB Coach of the Year:Graham Henry (New Zealand)
IRB Sevens Player of the Year in association with HSBC:Cecil Afrika (South Africa)
IRB Junior Player of the Year:George Ford (England)
IRB Women's Personality of the Year:Ruth Mitchell
IRB Development Award:Rookie Rugby
IRB Referee Award for Distinguished Service:Keith Lawrence
Spirit of Rugby Award:Wooden Spoon
Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished Service:Jock Hobbs
IRPA Special Merit Award:George Smith (Australia)
IRPA Try of the Year:Radike Samo (Australia v New Zealand)
Hall of Fame inductees:Dr Roger Vanderfield, Richard Littlejohn, Sir Nicholas Shehadie, John Kendall-Carpenter, David Kirk, Sir Brian Lochore, Nick Farr-Jones, Bob Dwyer, Francois Pienaar, Kitch Christie, Rod Macqueen, Martin Johnson CBE, Sir Clive Woodward OBE, John Smit, Jake White, Gareth Rees, Agustín Pichot, Brian Lima and Jonah Lomu.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Actual Selection Process - according to the IRB (http://www.irb.com/history/awards/panel/index.html)

The IRB Player of the Year is determined using the following criteria:

The IRB Awards panel votes on all international Test matches throughout the year using a points system i.e 3 points for best player of the match, 2 points for second best player of the match and 1 point for third best player of the match.

These votes, and a discussion amongst the IRB Awards panel to consider aspects such as form, appearances and opposition, form the basis in determining a shortlist of nominees which is announced prior to the end of the Autumn Internationals in November.

Once the nominees are announced the public is invited to give their opinion on social media as to who they believe should win the IRB Player of the Year Award. Select international media are also invited to vote.

Taking into account votes, and input from media and fans, the final winner of the prestigious IRB Player of the Year Award is determined by the IRB Awards panel at the end of the November test window.

The Panel:
John Eales (AUS, 1991-2001) - Convenor
Will Greenwood (ENG, 1997-2004)
Gavin Hastings (SCO, 1986-1995)
Francois Pienaar (RSA, 1993-1996)
Paul Wallace (IRE, 1995-2002)
Scott Quinnell (WAL, 1993-2002)
Agustin Pichot (ARG, 1995-2007)
Tana Umaga (NZL, 1997-2005)
Raphel Ibanez (FRA, 1996-2007)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I reckon Halfpenny should get it.

I don't think he's close to the best player in world rugby, just that he had the best year in 2013. Being the best player in the Six Nations and on a Lions Tour is pretty bloody impressive.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Only one NH player? You're dreaming. They usually get at least three of the five. Halfpenny is a walk-up for one spot, he'll be chosen before North.

Strauss is no chance. I'd guess that the third NH starter might be Jones, the Lions THP. My guess for the other two are Smith and Reid, with de Villiers the unlucky sixth.

Sorry, forgot the bias that goes into these things.

Knowing the type of decisions that are made in these selections (Dusautoir 2011?), it will probably be Halfpenny, although if he couldn't goal kick he wouldn't be near the top.

Ben Smith and Kieran Read have been amazeballs almost every game so I imagine one of them will get it, and rightfully so.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Given that the 6 Nations was so poor in quality, and that the Lions series was won in the front row counts Halfpenny out as a winner for me. He should get a nomination but should be behind Ben Smith, de Villiers and Read.

Status
Not open for further replies.