• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Annual Awards 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Short list announced on Friday by the IRB:

The 2013 nominees are: Eben Etzebeth (South Africa), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales and British & Irish Lions), Sergio Parisse (Italy), Kieran Read (New Zealand) and Ben Smith (New Zealand).
Full story here:
http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediaz...64.html#irb+player+year+shortlisted+announced

Kieran Read must be the favourite, but given previous years announcements, I would not be surprised to see Leigh 1/2p getting the nod.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Just announced:

Kieran Read, player of the year
Hansen, coach of the year
All Blacks, team of the year

Congrats to all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When a team becomes the first to win every test in the year (in the professional era), they should sweep all the awards.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
congrats to read and the darkness, they have put on a cracking year of rugby.

however, next year ... (and there's always next year for a wobs tragic)

;)

T

tranquility

True. But if he played for the Waratahs I'd find a way.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does he need to have a bit of on-field impromptu surgery in the crown jewel department to be considered the equal of Buck Shelford?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does he need to have a bit of on-field impromptu surgery in the crown jewel department to be considered the equal of Buck Shelford?
It's that incident, hopefully never to be repeated, that elevates Buck above more skilful & rounded AB 8's like Zinny, Read, So'oialo & the mighty BJ Lochore. Since injury replacements were introduced I can't think of anyone who carried on with such a nasty injury. In the no-replacements-for-any-reason dark ages Meads played half a 'bok Test with a broken arm & either Ron Elvidge or Ron Jarden scored a match-winning try with a broken collar bone or badly dislocated shoulder.

Just googled it & it was Elvidge in 1950 v Lions when they were just British, went off with a broken collar bone & facial injury, came back on as we were already down to 14, having lost our prop with a knee injury. I do remember reading about Jarden doing something similar, perhaps it was for Wellington or the AB in a non-Test?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Read is better than Buck or Zinny.

Neither came close to dominating the game as much as he does.
Buck could nothing other than drive it up the guts. Playing with a busted scrotum shows you are tough, not much else.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think Keiran Read is currently the most complete footballer in world rugby.

He does everything brilliantly.

Zinzan Brook was also a very complete footballer. One of those who could turn a whole match in a moment of brilliance. Comparisons between eras is notoriously hard, as a Wallaby supporter I'd be equally worried if Read or Brooke was on the teamsheet.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's that incident, hopefully never to be repeated, that elevates Buck above more skilful & rounded AB 8's like Zinny, Read, So'oialo & the mighty BJ Lochore. Since injury replacements were introduced I can't think of anyone who carried on with such a nasty injury. In the no-replacements-for-any-reason dark ages Meads played half a 'bok Test with a broken arm & either Ron Elvidge or Ron Jarden scored a match-winning try with a broken collar bone or badly dislocated shoulder.

Just googled it & it was Elvidge in 1950 v Lions when they were just British, went off with a broken collar bone & facial injury, came back on as we were already down to 14, having lost our prop with a knee injury. I do remember reading about Jarden doing something similar, perhaps it was for Wellington or the AB in a non-Test?

Was it Read who fell of the tackle on the Radike Samo try that won us in Bled 3 2011? I think that was because he was playing on with a busted wing. Not quite in the same league as above but still pretty gutsy stuff (and good for us :)).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was it Read who fell of the tackle on the Radike Samo try that won us in Bled 3 2011? I think that was because he was playing on with a busted wing. Not quite in the same league as above but still pretty gutsy stuff (and good for us :)).

That was Adam Thomson.

Status
Not open for further replies.