• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland NZ Tour 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I dont know how to feel. On the one hand stoked NZ got pummelled but on the other hand I actually started rooting for them after that mind bending refs call.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not sure about that.. just beaten by a better side….
The AB's didn't like the series being on the line. Went down early on the scoreboard, started to panic, errors came, chased the game, pressure built and they folded. They AB's benefited from Ireland being a man down to score. Lucky Sextons kick from half way hit the cross bar or its another 3 on the scoreboard.

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
That first half was an embarrassing shambles from ABs. Some career ending performances there. Fozzie is going to be fucking crucified.

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
Congrats to Ireland.

I spent 6 months at University College Dublin, the club that featured the likes of Brian O'Driscoll, Sean O'Brien, and in this current team Ringrose and Van Der Flier. I appreciated my time very much in Ireland, and can only imagine how happy Irish fans are.

For the ABs, I have written several times that we have been in steady decline. Few empires fail and fall precipitously. There is always a steady decline, with many evident and consistent indicators, which are invariably ignored.

There are glaring issues in both attack and defence. We have no deception on attack (which means there is no planning or strategy; we leave players to do it based on natural ability), and there is no rush on defence (giving the opponents the comfort of time and space to think and execute). Occasionally, we see a band-aid over an increasingly large wound. But nothing fundamental has changed.

I wanted to just share some things, even if there really is no point on an internet forum, on a deeper level of rugby strategy. But I think a more succinct end is provided by Peter O'Mahoney, the old warhorse, crying from desire, crying from emptying the tank, from pushing his limits to record a test win in NZ in the twilight of his career. It meant more to the Irish, and on top of that, they had a better-coached team.

They were clearly superior over 3 tests, as well as at the end of last year. They humiliated the ABs in NZ. And that's not a bad thing if it leads to a fundamental re-examination of what works in world rugby, and what hasn't worked for the ABs. At half-time, John Plumtree was asked what needs to be better. He said the lineout, and to roll up our sleeves. In short, he didn't know. And if the players like Reiko, Fakatava, Vai'i, players who rugby came easily at a lower level, realise you have to fight to win. You have to do what comes hard and not what comes easy. You really have to desire the victory, as O'Mahoney does, and not the accolades on social media. Acknowledging and knowing the problem is the first step to solving it, and if we can just be honest and not defensive, we will see that this could be a watershed to reverse our fortunes.

AllBlackEverything.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
EE435D64-194D-427D-825C-28A320DDD5E5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.