• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Matches on between 1.30-3.30 are in the dead man's hours.
Do it if you wish to replicate the affects of jet lag later that day.
You also need to be careful of commentators spoiling, by mentioning results from earlier games while calling a later match.
It's tough being lazy.

I remember for the Argentina test this year, Link spoiled the bloody result of the South Africa v NZ game when he was interviewed getting off the bus in Mendoza.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'll make sure I set my alarm and wake up in time to catch the 10.30am replay and enjoy it with my coffee and The Sunday Age on my lap.

Sure, it'll be a struggle, but as a passionate Wallaby fan I think it's important to make some sacrifices from time to time.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I'll make sure I set my alarm and wake up in time to catch the 10.30am replay and enjoy it with my coffee and The Sunday Age on my lap.

Sure, it'll be a struggle, but as a passionate Wallaby fan I think it's important to make some sacrifices from time to time.

and a croissant, always a croissant or thousand.

Reactions: Tex
P

Paradox

Please point me to the memorable performances by our other locks.

I am not saying that Skelton has been good but you're making it sound like it's a travesty that Carter and Horwill haven't been picked for every single game.

Carter, Simmons against NZ in tests 1 and 3. Carter and Simmons vs SA in both tests. Carter v France test 1. Simmons V Wales.

In saying that, don't mind Big Will against Ireland as I don't think their scrum is imposing. However, their mauling is top notch so Skelton needs to use his big frame and get in there. we miss Fardy in this area.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
When did we start giving away wallabies jerseys based on future potential?
There are deficiencies in his game that may be fixed with good coaching and improved fitness - which will likely take a season or more. Thats what super rugby is for. Its not going to happen on a 6 week tour.

And given Cheika's apparent tendency to ignore (or not concentrate on) the set piece at training, I can't see him improving his deficiencies any time soon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Please point me to the memorable performances by our other locks.

I am not saying that Skelton has been good but you're making it sound like it's a travesty that Carter and Horwill haven't been picked for every single game.

In fact, Simmons and Carter had particularly strong games against the ABs in Bledisloe 3. As a pair, they were equal to the widely regarded best locking pair in the world in that game. They can do it. They just need to do it more often. I doubt that Skelton can play at that level yet. He may do, and I hope he does, but I believe it won't be this side of the RWC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm wondering whether a chance was missed to bring a development player over instead of Shatz? I'll admit I saw little of the NRC, but how did someone like Lopeti Timani go at no. 8?

I thought Lopeti had quite a good NRC and perhaps would be better with ball in hand than Jake as might be a couple of other No 8s from the NRC, eg Gray, Holloway. But, I think the real opportunity lost was in not sending another lock over instead of Beale. Either of the Rising locks would have satisfied me.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And given Cheika's apparent tendency to ignore (or not concentrate on) the set piece at training, I can't see him improving his deficiencies any time soon.
Try and get your facts right in your rush to shit all over Cheika for the umpteenth post. Yes, there was no set-piece coach specifically at the Tahs, which is well publicised. Blades was, and still is, the forwards / set piece coach, so the two situations are not analagous.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm in full agreement that Skelton was poor last week but how was he worse than Horwill??? He dropped a crucial pill early in the game 5m out and then missed two critical tackles. All within the first 20 minutes.

--

How is this for a stat? Ireland haven't scored a try against us in their last 3 matches! All 3 matches they finished on 15 with 5 penalty goals.

Have to go back to 1999 to find the last time they've scored more than 2 tries against us.

Daresay they could have surpassed that with the defense we showed last week.

P

Paradox

Try and get your facts right in your rush to shit all over Cheika for the umpteenth post. Yes, there was no set-piece coach specifically at the Tahs, which is well publicised. Blades was, and still is, the forwards / set piece coach, so the two situations are not analagous.

Did Blades select Skelton? Skelton's set piece work is below par and you can't blame Blades for that. Cheika needs to be held accountable for his selections.

P

Paradox

Carter's problem is total lack of consistency but he has a massive engine and good work ethic. Simmons has improved a lot....once he removed his dumb penalties he was a shit load better.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Really? Why? the scrum had dominance while he was on and went to shit as soon as Skelton came on. Horwill also contributed to the lineout moreso than Skelton who to give him credit did catch one throw that went astray and accidentally fell into his hands.

Because, despite what the English will tell you, there's more to rugby than the set-piece. Horwill is a shadow of the player he once was, and his knee was looking massively gimpy to boot.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought the head coach and main selector should be most accountable for stuff ups or deficiencies that aren't propery addressed. Blades is not without blame as well of course if he hasn't been able to address the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.