• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Did Blades select Skelton? Skelton's set piece work is below par and you can't blame Blades for that. Cheika needs to be held accountable for his selections.
Point. Missed. Nice air-swing, you might want to tee it up and have another swing but keep your head down. ;)
I'm not blaming Blades. BR was pushing the idea that Skelton cannot get better because Cheika will continue to neglect the set-piece, ignoring the fact that Blades is the forwards / set-piece coach at the Wallabies, a position that was vacant at the Waratahs. Having a cheap shot about the Tahs set-up which is not relevant as the Wallaby situation is different. As Skelton is currently under Blades' supervision, maybe he can be improved, or at least start that process. Although I concede that Blades, emanating from NSW, probably does not meet BR's benchmark. Geddit?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Because, despite what the English will tell you, there's more to rugby than the set-piece. Horwill is a shadow of the player he once was, and his knee was looking massively gimpy to boot.

I agree that with the injury he couldn't be picked but Qwerty's comment related to his performance, not his fitness. And even below par, he is a better all round lock that Skelton at this stage.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought the head coach and main selector should be most accountable for stuff ups or deficiencies that aren't propery addressed. Blades is not without blame as well of course if he hasn't been able to address the problems.
That's not what you said, and you know it.
In case you've forgotten:-
And given Cheika's apparent tendency to ignore (or not concentrate on) the set piece at training, I can't see him improving his deficiencies any time soon.

P

Paradox

Point. Missed. Nice air-swing, you might want to tee it up and have another swing but keep your head down. ;)
I'm not blaming Blades. BR was pushing the idea that Skelton cannot get better because Cheika will continue to neglect the set-piece, ignoring the fact that Blades is the forwards / set-piece coach at the Wallabies, a position that was vacant at the Waratahs. Having a cheap shot about the Tahs set-up which is not relevant as the Wallaby situation is different. As Skelton is currently under Blades' supervision, maybe he can be improved, or at least start that process. Although I concede that Blades, emanating from NSW, probably does not meet BR's benchmark. Geddit?

I didn't have a shot at the Tahs setup (which I agree is irrelevant) so whoosh right back at ye! ;) My point is entirely valid though regarding Cheika's and his selections. You have clarified you don't blame Blades but it certainly sounded like you were.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I actually think Skelton did pretty well getting us on the front foot when he came on after Horwill had toiled away to limited affect.

Our locks are a serious, serious, problem at the moment. I'm not fussed that we're giving a young talent a shot in a position of weakness, even if he currently has his flaws.

P

Paradox

I actually think Skelton did pretty well getting us on the front foot when he came on after Horwill had toiled away to limited affect.

Our locks are a serious, serious, problem at the moment. I'm not fussed that we're giving a young talent a shot in a position of weakness, even if he currently has his flaws.

Skelton was poor against France both in the set piece and general play. It's like saying Alexander was also good when he came on. Both were terrible, dropping the ball, etc. Skelton stuffed a try when Australia had numbers. He ran right in front of Foley when we had the numbers out wide (courtesy of Scott Allen's analysis from the roar)

Wallabies-v-France-15.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I didn't have a shot at the Tahs setup (which I agree is irrelevant) so whoosh right back at ye! ;) My point is entirely valid though regarding Cheika's and his selections. You have clarified you don't blame Blades but it certainly sounded like you were.

Bold - Brumby Runner did. See how I used "BR" to indicate that in my post? It was a clue. Look out for the boomerang.

My post followed his - that Skelton won't get better (at the Wallabies) because Cheika will neglect the set piece, but the Wallabies set-up is different to the Tahs so it does not follow since Blades might improve him. It's not complex.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Horwill seemed to be playing a fast game but not a heavy game. He covers the ground.
Carter seemed to be the opposite; heavy but not fast.
Were we not lambasting Carter for letting Coles score his try in Bled III.
Neither is bending the line with ball in hand. They are generating similar results for each match.
If Horwills knee is injured then the conversation topic might not be reelevant for a good 6 months anyway.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Skelton was poor against France both in the set piece and general play. It's like saying Alexander was also good when he came on. Both were terrible, dropping the ball, etc. Skelton stuffed a try when Australia had numbers. He ran right in front of Foley when we had the numbers out wide (courtesy of Scott Allen's analysis from the roar)

That was the win, that phase right there, and as SA alluded too, if we were playing with more structure I don't think we'd have seen Willie get in the way there.

That has 'players panicking under pressure and not knowing their role' written all over it.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

Players make mistakes. Simmons has played 40-odd tests to this point and he's still putting in his fair share of completely underwhelming efforts.

No one is putting their hand up at the moment. None of our locks would make the bench for NZ, SA, England and probably a few others. With Horwill seemingly injured I don't really know why Skelton is a controversial pick. What's the other option?

I'm a little bit concerned about the lack of openside cover, but I guess Hooper is an 80 minute player.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)

I don't have much of a problem with Skelton here - he's trying to contribute. It's on Foley to tell him to get the hell out of the way.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't have much of a problem with Skelton here - he's trying to contribute. It's on Foley to tell him to get the hell out of the way.

this

which is what Allen is alluding to, lack of overall structure and/or communication..no individual is to blame

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, given that he gets used as a "first/second receiver" crash-ball runner, then I guess so. But it's a mess-up from one or both - if the wide-break is on, the playmaker ought to be howling it to all and sundry. It's a common thing with the Wallabies in recent years - we often see overlaps that go unused with somebody trucking it up mid-field. Maybe it's the general lack of confidence to have a crack, who knows. Change Oz in that picture above to the ABs, and they probably score wide 9 times out of 10. Frustrating.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Skelton looks in motion ready to make an impact whereas Foley looks flat footed and not ready to receive the pill.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Skelton looks in motion ready to make an impact whereas Foley looks flat footed and not ready to receive the pill.
It's a pretty big eclipse-effect with Skelton between him and the ball! He probably can't see anything but Asics.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Are his boots custom made? It looks from that shot that Skelton has been instructed to take that ball. Terrible waste of that overlap and god only knows the potential if Skelton ran support round Foley and joined that overlap. Makes for one hell of a scary inside ball option, that's for sure.

Probably going to sound like an arsehole here but looking at that shot, that is the sort of opportunity that Cooper has proven to have an eye for.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Are his boots custom made? It looks from that shot that Skelton has been instructed to take that ball. Terrible waste of that overlap and god only knows the potential if Skelton ran support round Foley and joined that overlap. Makes for one hell of a scary inside ball option, that's for sure.

Probably going to sound like an arsehole here but looking at that shot, that is the sort of opportunity that Cooper has proven to have an eye for.
Asics = jersey. Prob boots too.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

That's the problem.

That play cost us a win. I don't blame Skelton, I blame the lack of structure that would have had Skelton in the right place, knowing his exact role, rather than letting the rush of blood to the head get to him and cloud his thinking.

NZ are number 1 because of this, they've spent years training the SAME GROUP of players, ironing out each players faults, and training them in how to think clearly under pressure, how to ground themselves and think in the right frame of mind.

There's a great article about it, how Gilbert Enoka turned them from a team that choked under pressure, to the team that wins at the death because they stay calm.

Status
Not open for further replies.