• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not a test standard winger in my opinion, and right now he's a distant second at 13. Tomane has been playing well and is clearly the better winger, despite what this board would suggest

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I would prefer Cooper at 10, but I just can't see Cheika dropping Foley from the XV. Potentially Quade might come off the bench this time at 10 rather than wing but that's about it.

What we saw from Chieka at the Waratahs was that once he worked out who was the best player in a particular position to execute the game plan, he stuck with that player - even after one or two average performances. I expect the same will apply with the Wallabies. Ditto with combinations, once they were the ones he wanted he worked with the players he picked to improve, but the game plan was always front and centre.

That's his way of coaching and he has complete confidence in it, and has the results to back himself.

In short, he won't change the game plan to fit the players, he'll pick the players who can execute his game plan.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not a test standard winger in my opinion, and right now he's a distant second at 13. Tomane has been playing well and is clearly the better winger, despite what this board would suggest

I'm trying to work out whether this comment is serious or sarcastic:confused:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I actually somewhat agree.

Wonderful team man. Superb servant of the game. Always gives his best.

But as a winger, I think we have better options.

I think he's a 13 shunted to the wing, and shows it. He's not our best 13. Not close. So he's been shunted to the wing at which I don't think he's performing up to scratch.

Is Tomane better? Questionable. He played better on the weekend. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is Mr Consistent however.

Assuming Kuridrani continues his form then I forsee AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) battling hard to keep his spot from Speight, Tomane, Folau/Hunt combo, CFS and JOC (James O'Connor).

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Ahh.... the beauty of the subjectivity of rugby selections. "Not a test standard winger"? Here is a substandard TRY!!!!
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I actually somewhat agree.

Wonderful team man. Superb servant of the game. Always gives his best.

But as a winger, I think we have better options.

I think he's a 13 shunted to the wing, and shows it. He's not our best 13. Not close. So he's been shunted to the wing at which I don't think he's performing up to scratch.

Is Tomane better? Questionable. He played better on the weekend. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is Mr Consistent however.

Assuming Kuridrani continues his form then I forsee AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) battling hard to keep his spot from Speight, Tomane, Folau/Hunt combo, CFS and JOC (James O'Connor).

The future you describe is probably quite close to what will happen. But of the available players at the moment, he's in the starting team IMO. He's that experienced, consistent player who always does the job that we need at the moment.

RWC 2015, who knows? He's certainly not getting any younger and what if any role he takes in that will depend on many things - the balance of the squad and who makes it through full super season and a TRC.

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
i think most test standard wallaby wingers would have dotted that one down. He does well in the inside channels, but his positional play is crap. As is Izzy's. When you have 2 of your back 3 not knowing naturally where to be and what to do, you have problems. And we all know the wallabies have problems.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
i think most test standard wallaby wingers would have dotted that one down. He does well in the inside channels, but his positional play is crap. As is Izzy's. When you have 2 of your back 3 not knowing naturally where to be and what to do, you have problems. And we all know the wallabies have problems.

But they seemd to go ok with the same coach at the Waratahs;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was in the camp advocating that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should be our 13 before the first game of the RC.. Despite Kuridrani's achievements since, that view was well justified at the time - he was the form 13 of the entire Super Rugby comp; TK had a relatively quiet season; notwithstanding that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) stood him up in the semi final only weeks before; on top of that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) scored 2 great centres tries (i.e. as one the main contributors, not as a finisher) in the final against the Crusaders.

Right now I wouldn't move Kuridrani from where he is in a pink fit, but we don't know how AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would have gone if he had stayed at 13 for whatever reason, as he hasn't played there, so it's not fair to say he's 'not close' or a 'distant 2nd' to Kuridrani.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
i think most test standard wallaby wingers would have dotted that one down. He does well in the inside channels, but his positional play is crap. As is Izzy's. When you have 2 of your back 3 not knowing naturally where to be and what to do, you have problems. And we all know the wallabies have problems heavily disguised opportunities.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was in the camp advocating that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should be our 13 before the first game of the RC.. Despite Kuridrani's achievements since, that view was well justified at the time - he was the form 13 of the entire Super Rugby comp; TK had a relatively quiet season; notwithstanding that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) stood him up in the semi final only weeks before; on top of that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) scored 2 great centres tries (i.e. as one the main contributors, not as a finisher) in the final against the Crusaders.

Right now I wouldn't move Kuridrani from where he is in a pink fit, but we don't know how AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would have gone if he had stayed at 13 for whatever reason, as he hasn't played there, so it's not fair to say he's 'not close' or a 'distant 2nd' to Kuridrani.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had the first two games of the rugby championship at outside centre and was no better than ordinary in both, where as kuridrani had been close to best on ground for Australia in most of his games since getting the 13 back, so it's plenty fair to label AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) a distant second.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had the first two games of the rugby championship at outside centre and was no better than ordinary in both, where as kuridrani had been close to best on ground for Australia in most of his games since getting the 13 back, so it's plenty fair to label AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) a distant second.

not true, it took TK more than 2 games to 'get going'..I'm in no way sledging TK and am even admitting i was wrong..it's the 'distant' bit I don't agree with..

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
Judging on test performances and not super rugby, it goes TK and then daylight. Surely I can't be the only person who wishes he never sees AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) bomb another try in the gold from 13. I think you could fill a decent highlight reel of him finding space down the left with a man outside, only to hold the ball in his left hand and die with it. Yes he's good, yes he's consistent, yes he's lucky to be in the team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The big challenge for Kuridrani is to keep his form close to this level. If he does he'll be close to the best 13 in the world before long.

Arguably AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s best quality has been his ability to play consistently well over a very long period of time. It's rare that he's far below his best.

Getting that sort of consistency out of more of our players is what will enable us to become more competitive with the All Blacks etc.

It's unfortunately all too common that a player strings together a few excellent tests and all of a sudden we think they're miles better than everyone else and then next season rolls around and they're back with the pack.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think we can all agree that if he stays fit and maintains form, Kuridrani will be the starting 13 for the Wallabies for the foreseeable future.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
His first start of this years rugby championship was against south Africa in Perth, have you forgotten that game?

no, but I concede that I had his first game mixed up with the Gold Coast game, where like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) his performance was no better than average..

Status
Not open for further replies.