• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Because they've played just as much rugby as Folau in more demanding positions, especially Hooper.

True but no one has mentioned them as being buggered and we can't drop every first choice player. I'd love to see Folau play in any event.

matt james

Stan Wickham (3)
I have kind of given up on this tour; I like the idea of abandoning any semblance of continuity and just testing positions.

9. Phipps
10. To'omua
11. Speight.
12. Goodwin
13. TK
14. Folau
15. QC (Quade Cooper).

Would certainly not be our best back-line but I would be interested to see how they go.
Also can they start Jones already.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
^ shocker of an attitude that one. Giving up is not and should not be in our lexicon, as any part of the rugby fraternity (players, coaches or fans). They're our Wallabies, and we should want them to win every Test Match, especially considering we have a game against the fucking Soap Dodgers looming. I fucking love beating those bastards.

matt james

Stan Wickham (3)
When I say I have given up I am basically saying (well trying to anyway) that I want the team to show improvement and try new partnerships; I don't really care if we don't win at this stage.
I would defend my statement by pointing to Chieka's desire to give everyone in the squad game time. I am not saying we shouldn't try to win. I'm saying we should view the coming games in the context of the coming world cup. If you take this approach you will give guys like Jones, To'omua, Goodwin and Speight a chance in the jersey.
I think now is the best time to try new combinations and test new players; within a limit of course.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Amongst other things, I am pretty worried about our exits.

Running multiple phases out of your 22 against a set defensive line is something that can work in Super Rugby, especially with what is probably the best pack in the comp. It's too risky though at Test level, so I hope that we clear it earlier in the future.

That is just one of a few tactics that Cheika used in Super Rugby that worked really well that I am a little worried would fail at Test level. Another is neglecting the set piece for fitness/linking training.

I thought initially Cheika wouldn't do some of these things (particularly as the Tahs side he had allowed him to), but I am getting a little worried.

Jury is still out, though. Cheika needs enough time to implement what systems he thinks will work, then I guess people can judge.

GunsGermsRugbyandSteel

Stan Wickham (3)
Apart from Greg Norman and Michael Hutchence Australia doesnt really have much of a history of choking so I was surprised that that is kinda what happened v France albeit France were actually surprisingly good value for the win in retrospect.

Really tough one to call this one!!! Except for the 27-12 historic win in 1979 in Ballymore a really strange stat I noticed is that every time Ireland has won v Australia we have managed to keep Australia's scoreline down to single figures whereas Australia has won all the high scoring games with Ireland rarely ever being restricted to single figures in defeat. Why engage them like this?
This is probably already really obvious to everyone but this stat is almost certainly reflective of Australia's love of open free flowing rugby played with pace, width and creative licence. The sort of stuff super 15 rugby Fosters quite nicely.

Therefore, I don’t think Joe Schmidt will require advice from Colombo to conclude that a watertight defensive performance ala the SA game is what is required from his charges once again.

There is a little known island off the coast of Dublin called Lambay Island that is home to a mob of wild wallabies that have been confined to the island for the last 40 years since they were banished there for foot and mouth crimes against Dublin Zoo. The moral of this particular ramble is that I think if Joe and co. canfind a way to restrict the wallabies to metaphorically similarly limited space Australia hopefully will find themselves all at sea too and staring down another single figures loss.

Easier said than done.

Ireland by 8.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Amongst other things, I am pretty worried about our exits.

Running multiple phases out of your 22 against a set defensive line is something that can work in Super Rugby, especially with what is probably the best pack in the comp. It's too risky though at Test level, so I hope that we clear it earlier in the future.

That said: were you critical of Foley for "kicking it away" against Wales with 20 seconds on the clock?

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
One elephant in the room I haven't seen discussed too much is what happens when it's wet? Isn't it sort of a given that if the pitch is soggy, we're kinda done for??!?

Does anyone recall if the Tahs had to play wet weather football this year? THATS when you definitely need that plan B right?

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
One elephant in the room I haven't seen discussed too much is what happens when it's wet? Isn't it sort of a given that if the pitch is soggy, we're kinda done for??!?

Does anyone recall if the Tahs had to play wet weather football this year? THATS when you definitely need that plan B right?

Light rain in patches this week. Nothing too heavy. Forecast for Saturday is potential for light showers but nothing like a pressure shower stem of rain which you guys might fear. Will be identical to the SA games conditions two weeks ago, a slightly wet pitch, but overall dry conditions.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I actually somewhat agree.

Wonderful team man. Superb servant of the game. Always gives his best.

But as a winger, I think we have better options.

I think he's a 13 shunted to the wing, and shows it. He's not our best 13. Not close. So he's been shunted to the wing at which I don't think he's performing up to scratch.

Is Tomane better? Questionable. He played better on the weekend. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is Mr Consistent however.

Assuming Kuridrani continues his form then I forsee AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) battling hard to keep his spot from Speight, Tomane, Folau/Hunt combo, CFS and JOC (James O'Connor).

He is a proven test standard back three player. One of your wingers needs to almost be a fullback these days.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is a proven test standard back three player. One of your wingers needs to almost be a fullback these days.

yeah, that 2nd 15 unit is very important to me, the Tahs had Beale there, so it doesn't have to be a wing per se

think of the ABs, where possible they have Dagg & Ben Smith with Cory Jane as another option o_O

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What? Where did you hear that Folau is out?

Wallabies to lighten Israel Folau's workload after uncharacteristic fumbles

The Wallabies will monitor Israel Folau's training load this week to determine if the cross-code superstar is feeling the pinch of a hectic year, following uncharacteristic mistakes in the loss to France.

Kurtley Beale could be a shock replacement at fullback if Folau gets a rest, with Cheika calling Beale into the squad to be the back-up No. 15.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...uncharacteristic-fumbles-20141117-11nx5m.html

:eek: :eek: :eek:

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting fact that 6 of the 7 most highly ranked players for the Wallabies against France in GAGR's Democracy in Action on the RHS menu are forwards.
And that the loose forwards , Hooper & McMahon, were the two forwards excluded

What does that say for the backs? Probably that they need improvement.

A number of interpretations could be put on this - maybe one for Scotty?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting fact that 6 of the 7 most highly ranked players for the Wallabies against France in GAGR's Democracy in Action on the RHS menu are forwards.
And that the loose forwards , Hooper & McMahon, were the two forwards excluded

What does that say for the backs? Probably that they need improvement.

A number of interpretations could be put on this - maybe one for Scotty?

It highlights how screwed up this click bait is, Horwill was the 7th best Wob and Hooper was the worst? Lealiifano was better than Folau?

meh

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Emuarse, it could also mean the rankings are wrong. Our game plan (like the tahs from earlier in the year), is predicated on getting front foot ball. This comes from making the extra metre with ball in hand, getting quick recycles and catching the opposition on or behind the gain line in defense. We got very little front foot ball against the French. There are probably a whole bunch of reasons, but more of them would be the fault of the forwards than the backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom