• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Is there a doctor in the forum?

What should I do?

• See a doctor

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Just RICE, you'll be fine

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Drink a schooner of cement and harden the fuck up

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Cut it off

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Stop playing cricket

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey guys,
I dislocated my little finger at the second knuckle playing cricket yesterday. I popped it back in but it's looking pretty nasty today. Anyone with a bit more experience in this let me know if you think i need to get it looked at. It doesn't really hurt and I can bend and straighten it.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 234

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ice it and if you've got time go see a doctor (not that I have any real experience other than it looks bad and one of my housemates is a med student).

Cyclo may be able to help, but it might be the wrong appendage...

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Probably not the best photo, here's one with my ring finger also so you can see the difference

Attachments

• IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 240

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Buddy strap as Moses says.
BUT - small fractures can occur with dislocations and we were always advised to xray them when I worked in the ED to make sure. Probably a good idea, but from what you say, probably will be clear.
If it was my finger, I would get an xray to be sure.
And Jnor, I still remember all the other appendages!!

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I have done the pinkie before. Problem is that when you dislocate it you stretch the ligaments etc. If you strap them to your next finger they tend to heal bent. I purchased a splint from the chemist and strapped my finger to that to straighten it out and allow it to heal like that. The result is that my finger has full mobility and is as straight as the other fingers. The knuckles are a bit odd, but at least I dont have a bent pinkie.
I put it in the splint at night and for part of the day. I also tried to keep it mobile when not in the splint to ensure that the ligaments and other shit kept a full range of mobility while healing.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Buddy strap as Moses says.
BUT - small fractures can occur with dislocations and we were always advised to xray them when I worked in the ED to make sure. Probably a good idea, but from what you say, probably will be clear.
If it was my finger, I would get an xray to be sure.
And Jnor, I still remember all the other appendages!!

Apart from splints, strapping etc, I assume the treatment isn't going to be invasive for a fracture (if there is one) showing minor symptoms like this? I've fractured a few fingers in my time (of my own that is) and our club doctor just strapped it (injected it if need be) and went for the cement option.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd strap it with a splint, broke two knuckles (didn't think it was possible until it happened) a few years back playing cricket (as hard as that is to comprehend) and they gave me a splint and plaster cast. The bruising looks pretty bad but some ice and tape should do the trick

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The problem can be subtle injuries to the tendons which manifest later and can be problematic. Sure, an xray won't show that, and unless there is marked deformity still, it would be unlikely there would be a significant issue with poor union of any fracture. Fracture treatment can be invasive, but usually if there is an "unstable" fracture which will unite badly. K-wires are used at times.
You will probably get away with it, looking at your pics.
BUT - if it was me, I would get it looked at by someone in the know, but my hands are fairly important to me. Maybe overkill, but there you go.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The problem can be subtle injuries to the tendons which manifest later and can be problematic. Sure, an xray won't show that, and unless there is marked deformity still, it would be unlikely there would be a significant issue with poor union of any fracture. Fracture treatment can be invasive, but usually if there is an "unstable" fracture which will unite badly. K-wires are used at times.
You will probably get away with it, looking at your pics.
BUT - if it was me, I would get it looked at by someone in the know, but my hands are fairly important to me. Maybe overkill, but there you go.

As the only person with any medical training, your view may carry slightly more weight than the rest of us combined.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hey guys,
I dislocated my little finger at the second knuckle playing cricket yesterday. I popped it back in but it's looking pretty nasty today. Anyone with a bit more experience in this let me know if you think i need to get it looked at. It doesn't really hurt and I can bend and straighten it.

Soft Cock?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Didn't think there was such a thing as weak fielding in Australian cricket, same can't be said about the Proteas.

:fishing

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Voted Cut it off!

What caused that anyway? If it was weak fielding or catching he should have done 20 push ups for his effort.

Was driven off my own bowling and stuck a hand out. Saved a boundary, then put it back in and kept bowling, also batted with it later in the day. Our opening batter also broke both bones in his forearm on 13 and went on to make 46 before being controversially run out. Don't know many people who'd do that.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was driven off my own bowling and stuck a hand out. Saved a boundary, then put it back in and kept bowling, also batted with it later in the day.

Did the exact same thing but put went straight off the field in agony and straight to hospital to get it fixed. I have no idea how you played on with that, but then again my injury was 2 broken knuckles which may be more painful than a dislocated finger. Regardless, I see you are not willing to post your batting score :p ?

Status
Not open for further replies.