• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
It seems that a few of the other comps are quick off the mark with the forums this year ... and nobody else seems to want to start the ISA one for 2012.. so here we go..

Who is looking good this year?
What players are set to dominate the comp?
Any new players around?
What team will dominate the comp and finally.. how about rep honours this year... any thoughts..

It's great to have the rugby season just around the corner !!!

ISA Follower

Frank Nicholson (4)
I expect Oakhill to have a big say in the Firsts XV title this year in the ISA.

Oakhill have about 9 or 10 returning from last years's First XV . They have some oustanding players in the backs including Ben Cotton (fullback, outside centre/winger -represented ISA 16's last year), Woodward at 12 was also outstanding last year. Under 16's ISA Reps from Oakhill who will be probably play in firsts this year include Cale Angeloni No10, James Benton No 3, and Josh Anderson No 4 or 5.

Auggies are an unknown. They will obviously lose their year 12 players from last year which included 12 Jack Purcell (NSW), and their Australian rep lock, Rhys Dombkins and numerous ISA reps, including their captain Tim Conlon, but given their injury toll last year a lot of year 11's and 10's would have received firsts experience and a couple of their year 11's represented NSW 16's/17's. They will retain no. 9 Fabian Natoli who represented Australia at the Commonwealth Youth games in Seven's rugby.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Augs won the 16's last year, so have plenty with ability moving up into the Opens.
Can't see how anything will change this year.
Oakhills biggest advantage is they play Augs at home this year.
If they can appoint their ref from '08 they are a chance of beating them!

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Guys, I dont know alot about ISA. I have noticed that St Augustines have been quite dominant for a few years, do they have kids of any kind of scholarships or some thing similar or do they play with the cattle they get?

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Augs won the 16's last year, so have plenty with ability moving up into the Opens.
Can't see how anything will change this year.
Oakhills biggest advantage is they play Augs at home this year.
If they can appoint their ref from '08 they are a chance of beating them!

1ST XV and 2nd XV refereeing appointments are controlled by the NSW referees.As to scholarships, how about we leave that to the GPS crowd to worry about. Oakhill V Augustines this year would be 50/50 with Augustines winning the 13's and Oakhill the 14.15.16's as this years group came through. Both have similar numbers returning and both have some outstanding players in their positions who i'd expect to represent later this season.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Firstly agree with stonecutter .. let's talk rugby and not refereees.. I am sure there is a forum for that somewhere :)

It will be a great comp hopefully with some cracker games. I think that although sides won the 16's, 15's etc there is quite a step up in strength when playing effectively 18's. Some of the returners from Oakhill are doing a program currently and I am told by some coaches outside ISA there are kids in the backs around the 110kg mark and some of their locks are returning at a smilar 100kg+ size ... so although there are some highly skilled guys around, many of the older guys are physically more developed and I think bringing a team of skillful younger guys through is great but looking at some of the returners from last years teams then it will be a comp full of bigger faster players across all schools.

I think it will be the normal two or three schools fighting it out this year and let's hope for some good games and selections to rep honors

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
St Pius will be much stronger than last season with a fairly strong group of 16's coming through, also have a lot of speed out wide with Anthony Collum being one of the fastest in the country for his age and Arthur Maikain and Eamon Manson both being very quick. Fullback Harry Staples is very skilled and they have a bit more size in the forwards this year with a few boys over 100kg. Problem will be no quality 5/8 or Inside Centre with last years Angus Compton moving overseas. Also lacking a quality hooker

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I would be keen to see Oakhill play some of the GPS teams this year- they sound strong. Does anyone know whether they are playing any trials?

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
I would be keen to see Oakhill play some of the GPS teams this year- they sound strong. Does anyone know whether they are playing any trials?

Playing Joeys, Shore and Grammar. I think Oakhill will provide a good test for any opposition again this year and have a couple of talented individuals in a good team enviroment.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oakill are playing a couple of the GPS schools in trials this year. Away to Joeys on 12 May and home to Shore on 19 May. Agree that Oakhill will be very competitive in 2012, eight regular 1st XV players back this year from 2011 plus 3 more (at #10, 6 & 14) who started in at least one ISA comp game. The school is taking 2 Opens sides to Sth America in April where they will play 3 games in Chile & Argentina so they should be well prepared for the '12 season.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
I am sure that trials and taining are well undereway and everyone is moving into rugby mode. How are all the schools looking this year? Based on last year there may be a few bolters for the crown.. Kinross were second last year, how are they looking?

Also when are ISA trials beginning? I am sure there is speculatioin out there as to who will get in.

I am still intersted in StPius and St Pats as potential threats... what have they got that makes them a chance? I watched them play a couple of times last year and I would have expected them to perform much better than they did... give us their credientials and I am sure that a group of U16's will not match against some of the Auggies firepower...

M

maildraw

SPX is working towards being more competitive this year with additional training and development. Agree with Derrmos comments. A couple of names to add who have been working hard over the summer are James Patton, Ben Brooke and Josh Ward. ISA rep trials scheduled for 8/5

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Adog Have heard St Augustines from Sydney are playing a game this year against St edmunds in Canberra. keep an eye out for this

Iluvmyfooty, Feb 7, 2012

Found this from Iluvmyfooty on the ACTJR post. I thought they usually played Joey's?

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Playing Joeys, Shore and Grammar. I think Oakhill will provide a good test for any opposition again this year and have a couple of talented individuals in a good team enviroment.
In the past Oakhill 1st XV normally played Joeys & Shore 2XV while Stannies played their 1st XVs- this year Oakhill will play their 1st XVs. Be a good benchmark.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
These are the same twats who managed to close down the CAS site. Can the arbitrators get rid of the viruses.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
These are the same twats who managed to close down the CAS site. Can the arbitrators get rid of the viruses.
I think I've got rid of it, please use the 'Report' button under every post if I've missed some as I don't read the schoolboy threads usually.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks for sorting that out Moses. Note Oakhill have their first trial against Alloys on Friday week. Where are the other ISA schools up to with internal trials/training and what trials are scheduled before the end of Term 1?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I was actually talking to the St Greg's 1st XV's coach last Wednesday evening at the school open night (kid brother will be attending next year, well, hopefully). I don't know how competitive they'll be (though he mentioned they came 4th last year and if I'm not mistaken came 4th at the National Sevens after winning the NSW division, that's a good result) but what was pleasing was the progress the game has made from back in my time 7 years ago.

When it started my brother and I were two of only 3 day students playing. This season that number has increased to 78. Another pleasing thing is that they currently have 69 boys signed up for the senior grades. Just going from the teams list he gave me there's a little over 150 boys playing this year. In fact, there only around 4 teams short of achieving parity with League at the school. That's a result. One that if achieved will likely see the school get real serious about the game.

Some things are still the same, they still only train for Rugby on Friday (though most of the boys are also involved in the School League program so they train three days a week and play on Thursday, but it still leaves gaps in their Rugby base) but what is encouraging is that 1st XI player's are no longer restricted from playing unless they have a minimum State representative game.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
It seems that a few of the other comps are quick off the mark with the forums this year ... and nobody else seems to want to start the ISA one for 2012.. so here we go..

Who is looking good this year?
What players are set to dominate the comp?
Any new players around?
What team will dominate the comp and finally.. how about rep honours this year... any thoughts..

It's great to have the rugby season just around the corner !!!
It'll be Auggies/Oaks and daylight again unless Stannies have found some new players. Kinross showed flashes last year, Pats might threaten but it's hard to match the two big guns

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agree with Ryan09.
Auggies won Waratah shield against Hills with team made up of mostly year 10 and 11 players due to heavy injury toll. No Rhys Dom or Natoli etc on that day when all thought, including me, that they would go down .
Natoli back in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.