• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Jones

congratulations st augustines , 2012 NSw state champions, use should be very proud its a great thing to have going out year 12 last game of for your school being crowned state champions , They Played A Very Good Game Of rugby tell really showing everyone in nsw and unfortunately oak hill how to play the game of rugby , the commitment and passion and desire to be champions you could see from the time then ran out st augustines were one reason and one reason only and that was to win the shield !

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
There is always one last joker in the pack.. Tom Jones above has not quite summarised the whole season of ISA Rugby and overall it was a good season for ISA. Oakhill rightfully gained the crown of undefeated ISA Champions running out convincing winners over all other schools. The biggest diappointment was Auggies as they struggled to put their best team on the field each week and really paid the penalty for having a high level of mungos in the system and really only being able to field their strongest side in the well won Waratah Shield final.

The great improvers for me were the emergence of St.Gregs.. where they go from here is an unknown but again shows that you pay the penalty for having the high level of committed league players in the program. I have no issue with that but imagine if they had them all season and so did Auggies .. I suppose it is the price for a recruitment rather than development policy.

I look forward to seeing the outcome of the 2013 season whose thread has already started.. I beleive Auggies will sine the ISA in 2013 and then I am not so sure who will be in the chasing pack.... only time will tell..

Cheers boys and girls (??) and let's keep it real and focus on the good things about ISA, the game of rugby and the boys who no matter what always try their hardest to represent themselves, their schools and their families to the best of their ability.

Cheers

Heally

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
There is always one last joker in the pack.. Tom Jones above has not quite summarised the whole season of ISA Rugby and overall it was a good season for ISA. Oakhill rightfully gained the crown of undefeated ISA Champions running out convincing winners over all other schools. The biggest diappointment was Auggies as they struggled to put their best team on the field each week and really paid the penalty for having a high level of mungos in the system and really only being able to field their strongest side in the well won Waratah Shield final.

The great improvers for me were the emergence of St.Gregs.. where they go from here is an unknown but again shows that you pay the penalty for having the high level of committed league players in the program. I have no issue with that but imagine if they had them all season and so did Auggies .. I suppose it is the price for a recruitment rather than development policy.

I look forward to seeing the outcome of the 2013 season whose thread has already started.. I beleive Auggies will sine the ISA in 2013 and then I am not so sure who will be in the chasing pack.. only time will tell..

Cheers boys and girls (??) and let's keep it real and focus on the good things about ISA, the game of rugby and the boys who no matter what always try their hardest to represent themselves, their schools and their families to the best of their ability.

Cheers

Heally
Well rounded out Heally. A good year indeed. Auggies will be back bigger and better in 2013 and for that Manly and Warringah thank them and I am sure Eastwood and Parra similarly thank Oakhill . Its great that discussions around schoolboy rugby now go well beyond the old school (tie).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The year is not entirely over yet.

Hot off the press from the ARU Media unit.

Congratulations St Gregs.

Is it time for ISA to more actively promote Rugby 7's?

Source: http://www.rugby.com.au/sevens/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1754/ArticleID/7704/Default.aspx

Rugby offers huge opportunities for Sydney's West

9/19/2012
By ARU Media Unit
Westfields.jpg
St Gregory’s College, Campbelltown at the NSW State Secondary Schools Rugby Sevens finals held in Penrith last week​

Three schools from Sydney’s West have successfully qualified for the 2012 National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament on the Gold Coast next month after topping the NSW State Secondary Schools Rugby Sevens finals held in Penrith last week.

St Gregorys College in Campbelltown, The Hills Sports High School in Seven Hills and Westfields Sports High School in Fairfield automatically qualified after finishing in the top three amongst teams from high schools across regional and metropolitan NSW.

Penrith Rugby Club in Western Sydney hosted the tournament last Friday, 14 September, with fourteen teams all competing for the NSW Under 18 Rugby Sevens Champions title. The teams were awarded their place at the NSW State Secondary Schools Rugby Sevens finals as winners of their respective qualifying tournaments in their home regions.

More than 100 players representing their high schools, including representatives from the Australian Schoolboys team to tour Fiji and NZ, competed in the tournament.

The top three successful teams will make their way to the Gold Coast on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 October to contest the National Schools Rugby Sevens crown against schools from across Australia.

The National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament will be held alongside the second instalment of the Gold Coast Sevens Fever Pitch tournament, which will see 16 international teams descend upon Skilled Park on the Gold Coast for two days of frenetic Rugby Sevens action.

The Final of the National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament will be held on the Sunday at Skilled Park during a break in the day two finals action of Gold Coast Sevens Fever Pitch.

From state secondary school tournaments through to national tournaments, the game of Rugby Sevens provides students in Western Sydney a potential pathway from the grassroots to International-level Rugby.

Former Australian Schoolboys representative and current Qantas Wallabies forward, Dave Dennis, who hails from Kurrajong in Sydney’s West said he was grateful for the opportunities Rugby provided him, paving the way to his International Rugby career.

“High school was where it all started, back in Richmond, the access and opportunities I got there through the talent development pathway helped me make the Australian Schoolboys,” Dennis said.

“I know when I was growing up there wasn’t as much opportunity to play Rugby, whether it be the traditional fifteen-a-side game or Rugby Sevens.

“I think it’s great there are more chances for kids to get involved in Rugby, get active and enjoy playing with their mates.

“Not only being able to play but to also have access to high-level Rugby competitions and connections makes all the difference.

“Since I was at school there are certainly more opportunities for kids in Western Sydney to realise their dreams and become the next Rugby star.”

A number of Australian Rugby Union’s High Performance staff were also in attendance last Friday observing talent for the Youth Commonwealth Games.

The High Performance staff were also on the lookout for talented youngsters to join the Australian Rugby Union’s Pathway to Gold Program, a national youth talent development and selection program from grassroots through to high performance Rugby.

Now officially in its first four-year Olympic cycle, Rugby Sevens offers a huge range of opportunities to men and women of all ages from the grassroots to the elite competition.

Detailed below is the list of schools that participated at last Friday’s NSW Rugby Sevens State Secondary Schools finals and the results:
  • Farrer Memorial Agriculture High School - North West Regional Qualifier
  • Picnic Point High - West Sydney Qualifier
  • St Edwards College, Gosford - Central Coast Regional Qualifier
  • Hills Sports High School, Seven Hills - Sports High Qualifier
  • Patricians Brothers, Blacktown - Metro Catholic Qualifier
  • St Gregorys College, Campbelltown - Metro Qualifier
  • Georges River College, Oatley - Metro East Qualifier
  • St Stanislus College, Bathurst - Western Region Qualifier
  • Westfields Sports High, Fairfield - Sports High Qualifier
  • The Scots College, Bellevue Hill - Investec 7s Qualifier
  • St Francis Xaviers, Hamilton - Hunter Regional Qualifier
  • Prairiewood High School, Prairiewood - West Sydney Qualifier
  • Marist Brothers, Eastwood - Metro Catholic Qualifier
  • Kiama High, Kiama - Illawarra Regional Qualifier

Quarter Finals
St Gregorys College 49 defeated St Edwards College 0
The Scots College 46 defeated Kiama High 0
Hills Sports High School 24 defeated Farrer Memorial Agriculture High School 14
Westfields Sports High 34 defeated St Francis Xaviers 12
Semi Finals
St Gregorys College 24 defeated The Scots College 21
Hills Sports High School 27 defeated Westfields Sports High 7
Championship Final
St Gregorys College 34 defeated Hills Sports High 10

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This is the second year Greg's have qualified for the Nationals and if you had seen their backline in action it would be of no surprise. Very slick with speed to burn. ISA really need to look to moving their regular schedule to term three to ensure all schools would be able to field their most competitive sides and look at setting up some kind of 7s schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.