• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
.......It may mean abandoning the novelty of an entire school visit, but ther is the posability of several age groups visiting at once
This is going start happening this year. When St Pats, Stannies & Oakhill play the Div 3 schools, they will be sending their 3rds, 16Cs, 15Cs, 14Cs and 13Cs. So in a smaller scale, it will be a full program across every age group.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't know if that happens a lot Hugh Jarse and sarcophilus. I've seen plenty of coaches play loosies in the front row who aren't great at scrums because they cover more ground, but I've never seen a coach coach losing the scrum.

That's not to say it never happened but I'd have to be rare, I hope. Any coach playing win at all costs rugby at U16s without a grounding in teaching them the game would have to be a fuckwit anyway.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
The boys from GPS in the Spaghetti Cup (7ths XV to 10ths and beyond) seem to be able to motivate themselves for "equal" level competition, despite not being in the 1sts.

Some one else has posted on here that ISA basketball is all over the place with teams in pools based on relative merit of that team and not based solely on the strength of the School itself. That seems to be a sensible compromise and would IMHO encourage participation. It would seem that ISA rugby could apply some of what seems to be working in other sports.

I'd also be interested in hearing what one of the current players thinks. Over to you Tom.

You are right, but Isn't Sport at Joeys compulsory? - (it's hard not to be motivated if you don't have any choice)... Dont misunderstand, I think Sport (not rugby alone) SHOULD be compulsory in ALL shools - and I mean proper sports, not Chess and Lawn Bowls...

Participation is all well and good, but I had a chat with a woman at a University in the England recently, who is sending her kids to school in Queensland, because she said "Competition is not a dirty word in australian schools, and kids get taught to hate coming second...'

I think that is something we need to preserve... Winning isn't everything, but Going down Fighting to the last, IS...

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
I argued this point with a few other people in my year about this. The people that disagreed were the Music/arty lot who said that if you aren't good at it, why should you be made to do something you don't enjoy? I see it from the perspective that any physical activity is important to your health but I dunno.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
It's something that really annoys me. We actually had a parent come up to us and ask why we were keeping score. This whole everyone wins culture isn't beneficial to anyone. After the game I mentioned above we told the boys the score. They knew there had lost but the score hurt. The next Wednesday we had a training session before they broke up for the holiday's and it was our best, most disciplined sessions to date.

Competition with a winner and loser teaches you that things aren't given they are earned. That hard work and commitment are required to achieve your goals. By declaring everyone wins for just being there doesn't do the kids any favours as I believe it builds an attitude of expectation of success without emphasizing the effort required to achieve it.
The result of political correctness and protective parenting. My parents made sure that I wasn't subjected to such crap. Sure I could be disappointed about a result, but I wasn't pandered and patronised to make me feel better. no one gives you a "I participated" ribbon to make up for the people that didn't get 1st 2nd or 3rd in the REAL WORLD. It's having an effect on receiving results back from Year 12 exams and assessments too. So many kids that don't get the result they wanted "find" a way to get a better mark because they can't accept they did poorly as they got A+'s since year 7. Just a bunch of princesses. Almost number 1 hate.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
The whole idea that kids under 16 should have a choice, is foreign to me...

Then again, I think the gift of Speech should only arrive at Puberty - or maybe with a Driving License....

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
It's something that really annoys me. We actually had a parent come up to us and ask why we were keeping score. This whole everyone wins culture isn't beneficial to anyone. After the game I mentioned above we told the boys the score. They knew there had lost but the score hurt. The next Wednesday we had a training session before they broke up for the holiday's and it was our best, most disciplined sessions to date.

Competition with a winner and loser teaches you that things aren't given they are earned. That hard work and commitment are required to achieve your goals. By declaring everyone wins for just being there doesn't do the kids any favours as I believe it builds an attitude of expectation of success without emphasizing the effort required to achieve it.

This was at St Gregs, WCR? - that would surprise me...

Question: You mentioned in one post that you were coaching at St. Gregs? How has Rugby Come about at St. Greg's - What was their motivation? - after all, it used to see itself as such a bastion of Rugby League, like Patrician Brothers Fairfield and that Schoolboy Shield whatever it was called...

Just curious - I think its terrific, but VERY surprising.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
OK... Thanks for that - sorry to be pedantic, but has it always been played? - or did some incident occur to introduce the Sport to the School...

I find it even more surprising that the GPS would replace High with St Gregs, rather than a Cranbrook, Knox or Barker...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St Gregs is in a similar position to St Augustines at Brookvale in terms of having a near monopoly in the local area as a Private School with a rugby programme, and what a catchment area it is too.

If (or perhaps when) St Gregs does a St Pats and drops Loig altogether and focuses on Rugby, the ISA Rep team would be a rather formidable unit. This could potentially rejuvenate interest in NSW Schools competitions which is currently in danger of being GPS only.

Rugby needs growth and effective competitions, not a concentration of development and talent into 6 GPS schools in Sydney's East, inner West and North shore.

Unfortunately the Juniors competition and the CHS competition has effectively waved the white flag and surrendered.

The only hope in the short term is in ISA and CAS, although the latter seems to have its fair share of problems and complete inability to grow.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
St Gregs is in a similar position to St Augustines at Brookvale in terms of having a near monopoly in the local area as a Private School with a rugby programme, and what a catchment area it is too.

If (or perhaps when) St Gregs does a St Pats and drops Loig altogether and focuses on Rugby, the ISA Rep team would be a rather formidable unit. This could potentially rejuvenate interest in NSW Schools competitions which is currently in danger of being GPS only.

Rugby needs growth and effective competitions, not a concentration of development and talent into 6 GPS schools in Sydney's East, inner West and North shore.

Unfortunately the Juniors competition and the CHS competition has effectively waved the white flag and surrendered.

The only hope in the short term is in ISA and CAS, although the latter seems to have its fair share of problems and complete inability to grow.

I really do find this subject interesting, as I have been away for a while and am astonished to read things like "the CHS competition has effectively waved the white flag and surrendered" as it seems - on the surface at least - so inexplicable.

Elsewhere, I see that Parramatta - having been through some genuine hard times had a struggleat one point to field Colts sides - whilst other sub-district teams have actually started NEW Juniors Rugby Clubs... Why would CHS participation decline so suddenly - is it the teacher's union and insurance issues at play?

Well done to those interested teachers at St. Gregs - it's good to see. Strathfield, I understand, switched codes all in one year - around '64 - due to their apparent inability to find any decent competition. They iused to play in a metropolitan league competition for many years - and by doing so, probably missed the boat in finding a quality competition... It would be tremendous if St Greg's eventually moved to make a similar leap...

Is there any indication that the new CEO may have some understanding of the need for swchools and grassroots rugby - or is he just another GPS Old Boy who thinks the world is in good shape...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was at Coogee oval yesterday watching Wicks vs Beasts and I think I saw The Pulveriser cross the field at half time.

One of the Junior Jarses thinks it was Servo as well.

What does this mean?

If it was him, he was crossing from the West side of the oval (where the real fans are) to the East side (where the VIP tent is). He may have spent an entire half of grass roots footy with the unwashed.

Pretty sure that Jeff Sayle, Simon Poidevin and others at the Wicks would have not pissed in his pocket about the state of footy in clubland.

I can not recall any sighting of JO'N at any level of footy lower than Super rugby or National Schoolboys tournaments.

His tom tom probably has no address south of the Harbour Bridge outside of the CBD stored in it.

Servo either caught the 373 bus or managed to get the Chauffer to find Coogee oval all by himself.

Could be a good sign.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
That would be a big call. Huge even. Though not out of the realms of possibility. The school's Headmaster threatened to end its association with the game after some fairly poor conduct in the game. However, I actually wouldn't want to see that occur. I'd rather see the school mandate that all students must compete in weekend sport rather than abolish one or the other as there's a rich history regarding RL at the school and it tends to be a good training sport for Rugby in terms of catch pass and such. Also having both would allow us to effectively train our players 4 afternoons a week.

You'd be surprised how many will take it up and continue playing after school.

By the way... Not wanting to dig up dirt - but am curious - were these On-Field Incidents, or off-field problems of a more criminal nature...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A cross that the well coached and talented teams have to bear in many codes, although by sheer weight of numbers, in Loig the cheap shots are frequently significantly cheaper than in codes with smaller numbers.

Talented athletes do not need that sort of nonsense, even in mungoland.

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
Result from the St Pats Knox fixture was a victory to Knox 45-12.

Knox were the better side as you could imagine having played plenty of trials and having a professional coach at the helm which was very apparent in the style and structure of the Knox play. St Pats crossed first through some smooth backline play after a strong rolling maul from the St Pats forwards. After that the ability of the Knox team took over and showed why they are very strong contenders for the CAS this season. At half-time the score was 24-5 in favour of Knox.

The second half saw a stronger effort from St Pats, whereby they were able negotiate Knox's expansive play, even holding out Knox after been camped on their own line. From what I timed, there was no scoring in the second half until 22 minutes in. After this Josh Norah scored a well earnt try playing at Fly Half, after some sloppy Knox backline play resulting in a poor pass by a frontrower which was dropped and swooped in by Norah. However this as good as it got for St Pats with Knox charging home ans St Pats rolling the substitutes to give form 2nd's players a go.

Improvements for St Pats were there discipline at the all round, but particularly at the breakdown. From what I recall St Pats only conceeded thereabouts of 5 penalties, a great improvement from the dismal double figures in other trials. The St Pats lineout started to find its feet today only losing one, against a very composed and complex Knox lineout. Believe it or not but St Pats took the cake at set piece time having a more successful and simple lineout, as well as packing a strong scrum, which took a tighthead against Knox's heralded forwards and scrum.

Josh Norah was a standout for St Pats playing fly half, coming off some strong form agaisnt Trinity and Waverely. Josh made 2 or 3 linebreaks and scored a try amongst other things. The St Pats forwards had a tough day against the well drilled and larger Knox pack. Starting at hooker Tim Skinner provided a storng platform at set piece and was strong around the park with ball in hand and at the breakdown. He was also good when he was moved to both tighthead prop and loosehead prop at various stages of the game, a situation not many would envy.

St Pats now has a break before taking on Pius in a trial fixture and by then should be pack to full strength

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)

Knox were the better side as you could imagine having played plenty of trials and having a professional coach at the helm which was very apparent in the style and structure of the Knox play. St Pats crossed first through some smooth backline play after a strong rolling maul from the St Pats forwards. After that the ability of the Knox team took over and showed why they are very strong contenders for the CAS this season. At half-time the score was 24-5 in favour of Knox.

The second half saw a stronger effort from St Pats, whereby they were able negotiate Knox's expansive play, even holding out Knox after been camped on their own line. From what I timed, there was no scoring in the second half until 22 minutes in. After this Josh Norah scored a well earnt try playing at Fly Half, after some sloppy Knox backline play resulting in a poor pass by a frontrower which was dropped and swooped in by Norah. However this as good as it got for St Pats with Knox charging home ans St Pats rolling the substitutes to give form 2nd's players a go.

Improvements for St Pats were there discipline at the all round, but particularly at the breakdown. From what I recall St Pats only conceeded thereabouts of 5 penalties, a great improvement from the dismal double figures in other trials. The St Pats lineout started to find its feet today only losing one, against a very composed and complex Knox lineout. Believe it or not but St Pats took the cake at set piece time having a more successful and simple lineout, as well as packing a strong scrum, which took a tighthead against Knox's heralded forwards and scrum.

Josh Norah was a standout for St Pats playing fly half, coming off some strong form agaisnt Trinity and Waverely. Josh made 2 or 3 linebreaks and scored a try amongst other things. The St Pats forwards had a tough day against the well drilled and larger Knox pack. Starting at hooker Tim Skinner provided a storng platform at set piece and was strong around the park with ball in hand and at the breakdown. He was also good when he was moved to both tighthead prop and loosehead prop at various stages of the game, a situation not many would envy.

St Pats now has a break before taking on Pius in a trial fixture and by then should be pack to full strength

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)

I noticed Tim Skinner in his uniform at the Waverley game. He was injured during the Trinity game and they certainly missed him when he came off. He gives the St Pats forwards direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.