• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ISA Match Reports: Volunteers Needed

Seems to have been a fair bit of banter on here about ISA Div 2. Has the move of St Andrews to Div 2 and Oxley and BMGS to Div 3 rejuvenated ISA Div 2 and will it stimulate interest in Div 3?

In relation to the first observation, Have we got anyone lining up to do Match Reports?
ISA Div 2 starts in a couple of weeks on 4 May, with Div 1 three weeks later on 25 May.

Uncle Lee Grant will soon be asking for volunteers to pen a few words and take a polaroid or two for the Schoolboy blog.
Potential scribes should be sharpening their pencils now in anticipation.

With other competitions starting a little later than ISA Div 2, there is an opportunity to raise the profile of this competition before the traditional powerhouse competitions kick in and hog all the blogosphere.

Only need about 300 words and a photo for a match report. It is not a particularly onerous task.

You never know who reads G&GR blog articles.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that Big Bum.

I had already made a request here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/writers-wanted-schoolboy-rugby.11019/

Read what Gagger (Founder and boss of Green and Gold rugby) and I have written about making a contribution; so if anybody wants to give it a shot let me know.

We will be looking at getting match reports of all the Div I ISA games and the rep games against CHS etc, but they have to be coordinated otherwise we may get three reports for one game then none for another - and yarda, yarda.

Thank you.

thejuggler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks for that Big Bum.

I had already made a request here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/writers-wanted-schoolboy-rugby.11019/

Read what Gagger (Founder and boss of Green and Gold rugby) and I have written about making a contribution; so if anybody wants to give it a shot let me know.

We will be looking at getting match reports of all the Div I ISA games and the rep games against CHS etc, but they have to be coordinated otherwise we may get three reports for one game then none for another - and yarda, yarda.

Thank you.

I'll be happy to provide reports of Chev in Div 2 and Oxley in Div 3.

The pix i take will be available through www.picndrive.com.au, but because of child protection measures, will be accessible only to those in those schools' communities. Not trying to flog a business here as all funds raised through pic sales are donated back to the schools/clubs involved. Like most others here, i'm just a rugby tragic, but i have the opportunity to help those who provide the players, teams and competitions. It's a new service that seemed to be well received by those at the recent Chev Gala Day with Oxley and Daramalan. Just need to let parents and players know about it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Welcome to Gaggerland thejuggler.

Out of interest, as I am sure that there may be some enquiries, would the visiting schools rugby communities also be able to order photos through your website? I am sure that you may be able to drum up some additional revenue for the Oxley and Chev rugby programmes if was also "advertised" to the visiting schools. Good luck for the season.

If we can drum up some interest in competitions outside the AAGPS, CAS and ISA div 1 that can only be good for our game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah - good luck on that, the juggler.

Right now we are just looking at Div 1 but if we get a lot of 'hits' on blogs about ISA Div 1 games we could always change our mind about it.

Cheers

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)

The pix i take will be available through www.picndrive.com.au, but because of child protection measures, will be accessible only to those in those schools' communities. Not trying to flog a business here as all funds raised through pic sales are donated back to the schools/clubs involved. Like most others here, i'm just a rugby tragic, but i have the opportunity to help those who provide the players, teams and competitions. It's a new service that seemed to be well received by those at the recent Chev Gala Day with Oxley and Daramalan. Just need to let parents and players know about it.
Could you PM me the access code to the First XV photos? Its school holidays so Belly wont be able to give me the access code to view the photos?

thejuggler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Welcome to Gaggerland thejuggler.

Out of interest, as I am sure that there may be some enquiries, would the visiting schools rugby communities also be able to order photos through your website? I am sure that you may be able to drum up some additional revenue for the Oxley and Chev rugby programmes if was also "advertised" to the visiting schools. Good luck for the season.

If we can drum up some interest in competitions outside the AAGPS, CAS and ISA div 1 that can only be good for our game.

I'm not sure that would be practical as again, there would be privacy & child protection issues -- the other schools don't know me from a bar of soap, and so i'd need to be able to assure them of my bona fides. If they were to approach me officially i'd certainly be keen to oblige.

Previous to this year i've been providing the service to the Knox rugby program in the CAS for the past six or seven years, and never provided access to other schools.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Photos are awesome thejuggler ! Although there is a shocker face I'm pulling running out onto the field! haha It will be great for you to get down to some Chev and Oxley games this year! Looking forward to the season ahead :) Thanks for the access code! :)

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
result from the st pats trinity game, st pats victorious 22-19 in a very physical local derby. More pleasing for some was the well behaved crowd!

Tony Abraham at no.8 was dynamic scoring three impressive tries. St Pats defended very well and held out Trinity for the majority of the first half, given a large number of penalties conceeded and high possession for Trinity. although St Pats were quite scrappy at times it is a promising start to there trials and ISA run.

St Pats have trials against both Waverley and Knox in the second week of holidays. Should be interesting to see St Pats fairs and the strength of CAS

Nice Result.. I would be interested if you could list the 1st XV Team, at the end ofthe Trials?... for the benefit of those of us living away, why would crowd behaviour be an issue?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
QUESTION:

How did this competition come into being?

It looks to the outsider to be extremely uneven, and with no intrinsic characteristics or biases linking the schools.

St. Pius and St Andrews stike me as being the odd ones out here - (I have no knowledge of the Rugby Programme at St Gregs) and meanwhile perhaps a couple of other, strong Sporting Schools not taking part...

It seems like this Division 1 needs to become more 'concentrated', and more competitive...

Is this a misreading of the situation? How is the ISA competition generally regarded?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Hmmm... it looks to me like the 'cusp' of something - just asking to have the 3 or 4 big Sports High Schools Brought in, to make it a really intensive set of fixtures... (e.g. Westfields, Hills or say, Matraville...

Of course, a couple would have to drop 'down' in that case...

Any worthwhile competition needs a core set of activities in which all member can undertake to be competitive - in this case it may be Rugby, Cricket, Swimming & Athletics - and yes, if one must - Football.

A Sports High School should certainly be able to comply in this regard.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QUESTION:

How did this competition come into being?

It looks to the outsider to be extremely uneven, and with no intrinsic characteristics or biases linking the schools.

St. Pius and St Andrews stike me as being the odd ones out here - (I have no knowledge of the Rugby Programme at St Gregs) and meanwhile perhaps a couple of other, strong Sporting Schools not taking part.

It seems like this Division 1 needs to become more 'concentrated', and more competitive.

Is this a misreading of the situation? How is the ISA competition generally regarded?

For a history of the ISA, you can go to the following website:

http://www.isa.nsw.edu.au/

In ISA, there is a distinction between "full members" and "associate members". The former get to vote in the decision making process, while the latter don't and have to accept what they're given.

Not all of the schools in Div 1 are "full members" e.g. Augustines, while schools such as Pius and Andrews are.

Whilst having sports high schools taking part sounds like a good idea, there are some issues:

Can they field 3 open teams plus As and Bs in age groups?
Will the Teacher's Federation allow its members to participate in unpaid Saturday sport?
Will the state government increase funding to allow payment to coaches on weekends?
Will parents and players accept mandatory Saturday sport?
If state schools can't find enough players and coaches to conduct competitions on Wednesday afternoons DURING SCHOOL TIME, how will playing on Saturdays be possible?
Who will pay for trips to Bathurst and Orange every year? (Quite expensive when you are moving 10-12 teams)

You'll also find that many of the boys in Open teams at Sports high schools would have rep league committments on Saturdays.

Independent schools can compel staff and students to take part in Saturday sport as part of their enrolment or employment, state schools have no such power or authority.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Thats a fair point regarding the Teachers - I am a Union Man - but geez they can screw things up at times...

Still, even if Sports High Schools are not the solution, the competition looks like it needs a certain concentration of talent... I not the point made earlier regarding the ISA structure's ability to nurture talent over time, but this will only happen if the subject schools have a commitment to doing so.

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nice Result.. I would be interested if you could list the 1st XV Team, at the end ofthe Trials?. for the benefit of those of us living away, why would crowd behaviour be an issue?

As far as the crowd goes, there was an unfortunate incident involving players from trinity and old boys of St Pats in last years fixture, however the school ensured a calmer old boys corner hiring security and strictly policing alcohol and the like.

The St Pats team is subject to change slightly from the team that started against Trinity, with the likes of Jeffery Markus- Fly half or inside centre (Parramatta SG Ball) and Joshua Taweel- Openside Flanker (NSW u/17's 2012) to return from injury, which will be before there first ISA match with Oakhill.

The team that played against Trinity was:

1 Matt Taylor (Yr 12)
2 Tim Skinner (Yr 12)
3 Pj Aglizzo (Yr 12)
4 Jack McFadden (Yr 12)
5 Matt Vale (Yr 12)
6 Albert Jenson (Yr 11)
7 Matt Edwards (Yr 12)
8 Tony Abraham (Yr 12)
9 Luke Tannous (Yr 12)
10 Josh Norah (Yr 11)
11 Matt Jenkins (Yr 11)
12 Ryan Harris (Yr 12)
13 Liam O'Brien (Yr 12)
14 Josh Maree (Yr 12)
15 Sam Condon (Yr 12)

For upcoming trials there are likely to be slight changes for trial purposes.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
As far as the crowd goes, there was an unfortunate incident involving players from trinity and old boys of St Pats in last years fixture, however the school ensured a calmer old boys corner hiring security and strictly policing alcohol and the like.

The St Pats team is subject to change slightly from the team that started against Trinity, with the likes of Jeffery Markus- Fly half or inside centre (Parramatta SG Ball) and Joshua Taweel- Openside Flanker (NSW u/17's 2012) to return from injury, which will be before there first ISA match with Oakhill.

The team that played against Trinity was:

1 Matt Taylor (Yr 12)
2 Tim Skinner (Yr 12)
3 Pj Aglizzo (Yr 12)
4 Jack McFadden (Yr 12)
5 Matt Vale (Yr 12)
6 Albert Jenson (Yr 11)
7 Matt Edwards (Yr 12)
8 Tony Abraham (Yr 12)
9 Luke Tannous (Yr 12)
10 Josh Norah (Yr 11)
11 Matt Jenkins (Yr 11)
12 Ryan Harris (Yr 12)
13 Liam O'Brien (Yr 12)
14 Josh Maree (Yr 12)
15 Sam Condon (Yr 12)

For upcoming trials there are likely to be slight changes for trial purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.