• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerdurden

Frank Row (1)
Stab in the dak that Burke from Stamnies is a fly half, as there was a decent Stannies 5/8 at trials and there seems to be deficiencies in the inside back region.

Fairly confident but need confirmation.

Loucentre I find it hard to believe that a 2012 3rds player from any school would be in the ISA squad. How do you know what team Osborn was in?

G'day mate, Burke is the 8 and captain for Stannies 1st XV. The 5/8 from the trials was Joe Crawford who's now playing inside centre, giving a new bloke from Joeys a run at 10.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks for the confirmation on Burke.

Adjustments made to the draft position list from a couple of pages back.

I have been told that the ISA 1's and ISA II's will be announced after Training at BMGS on Sunday.

Anyone going up there that will be able to post the final list?

Aspiring selectors have 3 days left to post their I's and II's lists to claim bragging rights.

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
and...

Kids change schools for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes these may be related to their athletic ability and sometimes there may be some incentives involved, sometimes not.

There is a separate thread to discuss Scholarships, bursaries, fee relief, and inducements. Best to take further discussion about the relationship between the student and the change of education provider to there.

Edit: It is possible that you may have read my post over in the Scholarship thread. Guilty as charged. :)
You are jumping at shadows, read his post again, he was trying to work out who might have been selected as the 1's tight head.
He then read the players background,and posted the details as a justification for selection into this team.
no biggie,everyone move along.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have just read the Aisea Tukipilli is new boy at Augustine's coming from Balgowlah Boys High, where he was an u/16 NSW schools rep last year.
sootyanddave here is the post about changing schools.

No one on this thread has listed Tukipilli as anything other than #1 or "prop". Some have suggested that he may be in the ISA I's.

Having re-entered the Scholarship thread recently after a long absence, I guess my radar is rather sensitive ATM. That thread is an environment that Quade Cooper would not be happy in.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Fixtures 1st June:

Div 1

Stannies Vs. St Pat's

Kinross Vs Auggies

Oakhill Vs St Greg's

Div 2
Central Coast Vs All Saints

Chev Vs Redfield

St Andrews Vs Redlands

Any other tips? Looking forward to Saturday myself! :)

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
sootyanddave here is the post about changing schools.

No one on this thread has listed Tukipilli as anything other than #1 or "prop". Some have suggested that he may be in the ISA I's.

Having re-entered the Scholarship thread recently after a long absence, I guess my radar is rather sensitive ATM. That thread is an environment that Quade Cooper would not be happy in.

Sorry about that. I have absolutely no problems with his transition, as far as I am aware St Augustines don't give sporting scholarships,they are just reaping in the benefits of establishing a dominant rugby culture on the northern beaches.

Probably made it more clear, but I was just trying to piece together the front row and considering Tukipilli didn't trial I wanted to work out what his background (rather impressive at that) was. In my opinion I think that Massima or Tukipilli will have to play tight head if Agliozzo is in the 2s. However if they are playing away from there prefered side you'd imagine they'd have difficulties in progressing to further rep honors, as Rory O'Connor found out last year when he had to play the unfamiliar tightheadprop for NSW. At the end of the day all ISA supporters no matter what school want as many ISA reps in the NSW or combined states team as possible.

Starting Lineup

Stan Wickham (3)
Sorry about that. I have absolutely no problems with his transition, as far as I am aware St Augustines don't give sporting scholarships,they are just reaping in the benefits of establishing a dominant rugby culture on the northern beaches.

Probably made it more clear, but I was just trying to piece together the front row and considering Tukipilli didn't trial I wanted to work out what his background (rather impressive at that) was. In my opinion I think that Massima or Tukipilli will have to play tight head if Agliozzo is in the 2s. However if they are playing away from there prefered side you'd imagine they'd have difficulties in progressing to further rep honors, as Rory O'Connor found out last year when he had to play the unfamiliar tightheadprop for NSW. At the end of the day all ISA supporters no matter what school want as many ISA reps in the NSW or combined states team as possible.
ISA were Lucky to have a few play last year in NSW. Hope there will be more.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
The legendary St Pats Newsletter is here:
http://www.spc.nsw.edu.au/_user/documents/especean2013/14-13pdf.pdf

go to the last page

Very impressive number of teams that St Pats have for rugby if you download the newsletter. Good Commitment to Heavensgame. They may not be at the forefront of discussion about rugby powerhouses, but they have 20 High school rugby teams, and 10 in the primary school. Not quite Joeys or Kings, but very commendable.

Even more impressive for where they are located, and they should receive more plaudits than they actually get for keeping our game alive.

It is impressive - particularly as it is a Day-only school and cannot rely on a 'Boarders' Rugby Programme, as they have at many of the GPS and CAS schools.... I notice Oakhill seem to match them grade for grade in the Seniors - (I am not sure why the junior school have a separate programme - but then, I am not familiar with the set-upo at Oakhill).

What is alarming is the number of 'foot-a-boll' teams - 8th!?... and regular D,E & even a 'H' in the age groups!...

I remember the good old days when no such thing existed.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Looking ahead to this weekend:

Stannies Vs St Pat's in Bathurst- predicting a very tight and traditionally firey encounter. St Pats played well to a tight loss against a formidable Oakhill side, whilst Stannies came close to Kinross and have had relatively mixed trial form against GPS heavyweight squads. My pick is St Pats to get up in a tight one by 7 points. For St Pats it is a matter of turning possession and territory into points through discipline in the forwards and selflessness in the backline. Stannies will undoubtedly leave St Pats for dead in enthusiasm and if there execution is right they could put the final nail in St Pats ISA coffin.

Oakhill Vs St Greg's- Not sure what to make of this one. Oakhill proved they definetly have potential to win again this year with their incredible defensive effort against St Pats. Given Greg's form late last year defeating St Augustine's coupled with losses to the likes of St Andrews it is difficult to place them. I feel Oakhill wiill win by 10+ as they have the homeground advantage and the likes of Cotton in the backline and the discipline and pick n drive of the Oakhill forward will wear down the league oriented Greg's boys. The likes of Currie, Green and Kagiassis won't make this an easy task for the Oakhill.

Kinross Vs St Augustine's- Easily has the potential to be the match of the day. Playing in Orange isn't easy for any team and the rise of Kinross rugby in previous years will see a greater challenge for Auggies. I feel that Auggies will pull home a 7 point win but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the simple hard running and good tackling of Kinross could wear the St Augustine's arsenal thin. If Kniross won it would be great for the competition, but I think the Auggies will just get them.

Finally... a posting on the actual competition!

I am not at all sure why Stannies would 'undoubtedly leave St Pats for dead in enthusiasm' - that is hardly a quality Strathfield is noted as lacking - to the contrary, they have tended to be known over the years as full of ticker, but often lacking in physical size - and still do ok as a rule...

Having said that, Stannies are always hard to beat at home - I wish I was able to get out there and have a look....

Seeing that Fixtures List, the ISA Division 1 Comp is very clearly short some 2 or 3 competitive teams - its hard to build momentum on a 3-game fixture list each week...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Don't think Oakhill has a junior school.
In Junior school all the associations lump all the kids under the one umbrella. ISA Schools will play both CAS & GPS Schools during the year.They are just fixtures,not a comp.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
In Junior school all the associations lump all the kids under the one umbrella. ISA Schools will play both CAS & GPS Schools during the year.They are just fixtures,not a comp.

that sounds vaguely familiar. I note also that St Patrick's College Old Boys Rugby Club has 'recently' (not sure just exactly when) also begun a junior Rugby Programme to feed its Subbies teams....

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
QUESTION: Why are we struggling to get a simple answer on the results of the two St Augustines, and St. Stanislaus Waratah Shield Fixtures - what were the results / will they ever be played?

It seems highly unlikely that with the apparent intelligence gathered together on this Site that no-one knows what discussions - or matches - have taken place?
St Augustines game against Dara I think does not have to be played until mid July?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think I played against the primary school in about 1972
Edit:
In 1974 the decision was taken to phase out the boarding school and, in 1976 Oakhill College became a co-educational senior school. The phasing out of primary classes commenced in 1980, and by 1983, Oakhill was enrolling only secondary students, boys from Years 7 to 12, girls in Years 11 and 12.
http://www.oakhill.nsw.edu.au/pages/default.aspx?pid=27

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
QUESTION: Why are we struggling to get a simple answer on the results of the two St Augustines, and St. Stanislaus Waratah Shield Fixtures - what were the results / will they ever be played?

It seems highly unlikely that with the apparent intelligence gathered together on this Site that no-one knows what discussions - or matches - have taken place?

I just checked - it seems both had a round One bye! so at least is clear, am still looking for the other results...

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
that sounds vaguely familiar. I note also that St Patrick's College Old Boys Rugby Club has 'recently' (not sure just exactly when) also begun a junior Rugby Programme to feed its Subbies teams..
Well a large number of players playing for St Patricks subdistrict sides are not St Pats old boys.
By the same token , the St Pats junior teams are associated with the West Harbour club.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Well a large number of players playing for St Patricks subdistrict sides are not St Pats old boys.
By the same token , the St Pats junior teams are associated with the West Harbour club.

... this post makes almost no sense to me at all....

1. Has anyone - anywhere - ever suggested that you need to be a St Patrick's old boy to play for the St Patrick's Club? - (let alone anyone suggest that everyone that plays for the Club IS an old boy????) That is a particularly odd observation to make. Do you perhaps worry that everybody who plays for Gordon lives in Gordon? - or that everybody who plays for Sydney University is a University Student? Do you think all Old Ignatians went to Saint Ignatius?

Did you know that not all 'Blondes' are really Blonde?

2. "By the same token"... by the same token as what? The St Pats Junior Rugby Club is based in Strathfield, and plays in the Sydney Junior Rugby Sunday competition - whilst i am not a member, I would not be surprised to find that all junior Rugby Clubs need to register an affiliation with at least one Senior District Club... who would you like a strathfield Club to affiliate with? - Mosman?

So I am sorry - i see this as rather irrelevant to almost... everything.

When I see a Rugby Club that used to be only Seniors getting involved in Rugby with 6 year olds upwards, then I applaud it...

St Patricks has traditionally suppled players to both West Harbour (will never get used to that name) and Parramatta, and many go on to play subbies down at the Old Boys - a few have even turned up at Randwick... that will likely continue to be the case.

rugbydownsouth

Stan Wickham (3)
. this post makes almost no sense to me at all..

1. Has anyone - anywhere - ever suggested that you need to be a St Patrick's old boy to play for the St Patrick's Club? - (let alone anyone suggest that everyone that plays for the Club IS an old boy????) That is a particularly odd observation to make. Do you perhaps worry that everybody who plays for Gordon lives in Gordon? - or that everybody who plays for Sydney University is a University Student? Do you think all Old Ignatians went to Saint Ignatius?

Did you know that not all 'Blondes' are really Blonde?

2. "By the same token". by the same token as what? The St Pats Junior Rugby Club is based in Strathfield, and plays in the Sydney Junior Rugby Sunday competition - whilst i am not a member, I would not be surprised to find that all junior Rugby Clubs need to register an affiliation with at least one Senior District Club. who would you like a strathfield Club to affiliate with? - Mosman?

So I am sorry - i see this as rather irrelevant to almost. everything.

When I see a Rugby Club that used to be only Seniors getting involved in Rugby with 6 year olds upwards, then I applaud it.

St Patricks has traditionally suppled players to both West Harbour (will never get used to that name) and Parramatta, and many go on to play subbies down at the Old Boys - a few have even turned up at Randwick. that will likely continue to be the case.

An unfortunate trend in st pats rugby is that a lot of 1sts and 2nds players will stop playing at the end of school. For example the of the boys graduating from st pats 1stst and 2nds 1 boy went to Sydney uni, 1 went to west harbour, 1 went to Eastwood and 3 went to old boys. 6 from about 17-20 is pretty dismal.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
In terms of enthusiasm bith teams thrive off it. From want I gather and have seen of Stannies in recent years is they are the most aggressive team in comp, though lack basic skills. If Stannies can channel there unrivaled aggression they will really challenge St Pats, particularly in Bathurst.
U

Stannies at Home is traditionally one of the physically hardest hit-outs of the entire year... especially if it gets nice and chilly - every hit seems to hurt a little more than usual. Thank goodness thet do not always have the technical depth to go with the commitment..

ISA FAN

Frank Row (1)
Certainly looks like a good comp. Not much mail on Greg's. Do they have many returning? Coaching? I see they got some rep players in but not sure how good they are. Wouldn't think they would be good enough to beat Oakhill. Good to read more players at Greg's and playing in A comps. Are Syd Grammar not real good given the score Greg's won by last week?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
An unfortunate trend in st pats rugby is that a lot of 1sts and 2nds players will stop playing at the end of school. For example the of the boys graduating from st pats 1stst and 2nds 1 boy went to Sydney uni, 1 went to west harbour, 1 went to Eastwood and 3 went to old boys. 6 from about 17-20 is pretty dismal.

It would be genuinely interesting for someone to make that study - pick 20 or 25 schools - Private and High - and go back 20-30 years to chart how many kept on at the game at a social level - and how many at a serious level...

I am not sure how dismal - or how unusual that number really is... 6 from 20 is (roughly) one-third, so - what is a fair expectation? 50%?... Rugby is, at the end of the day, just a Game - a Sport - I don't really have a feel for how many is a reasonable number. Given a year or two away, I suspect a couple more would drift back to play even lower grade rugby to keep fit, and knock about with their mates...

My recollection from my school days is that the number of players who kept on after school was a minority - a small core. I was the only one who went to my club the year I left, there were a couple the year before that - and a couple more the year before that... not huge numbers (and that was a long, loong time ago)... A few more went to Western Suburbs - back in the days before it had a Harbour.

Status
Not open for further replies.