• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilot

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cracking game at Newington today. Open running rugby, great forward battle and plenty of tries scored. Newington scored in the first minute of play and it looked like long day for the Oaks boys. Oakhill hit back straigjt away followed a couple more and another try to Newington from a charge down. Half time Oakhill led 28 - 12. Great second half battle with Oakhill running away winners. Final score was 40 - 26.

Team Manager

Bob McCowan (2)
The two St Greg's boys who played for NSW Under 17's last year are Travis Dombroski who I believe is wearing the No. 15 jersey for West Harbour Colts, so I don't know if he is still playing for St Greg's. The other boy Jai Gunton is a boarder at St Greg's, who was injured last year and couldn't trial for ISA, his favourite position is Loose Head.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Toohey is an excellent player at fullback - strong runner and excellent defender. Is definitely not as effective playing in the backline (5/8 or centre).
I agree Toohey is good at fullback but given there is less kicking in schoolboys, he doesn't get his hands on the ball often enough.
Maybe give him a go at 10, at least he will be able to take the ball to the line strongly.
The kid who played at 10 against Alos was not up to standard IMO

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
He may well be a better 5/8 than has been playing there during the trials, but IMHO I don't believe that Toohey at 5/8 will work
He is a far better weapon from the fullback position.
Reason 1
The Pius scrum is at times poor in the set piece. Against Cranbrook the scrum went backwards ALL game with several tight-heads and very poor quality ball, If the scrum is going backwards then the inside backs are going backwards (and the backline ends up flat). Don't forget that Pius will probably come up against sizable forward packs. In this case Toohey (or whoever is at 5/8 has no room to move or attack.
So Toohey at 5/8 is wasted
Reason 2
The closer Toohey is to the set piece or break down, the less room he has to move, and against better teams he has even less time to use his weapon - acceleration. He needs room to move, and room to use that blistering pace.
Reason 3
I haven't seen Toohey play at 5/8 and I'm not sure how good his service will be both sides of the paddock (remembering that the 5/8 MUST be able to pass perfectly both ways). Toohey doesn't get an opportunity to pass too often because he breaks the line at such speed that 9 times out of 10 he has out run his support.
So I would keep your best weapon where he is guaranteed to be effective, and hope that a better 5/8 option is not too far away.

Sidestepper

Frank Row (1)
Div 2 kicked off with last years grand finalists Redfield and Chevalier playing in freezing conditions at Bowral.
A fairly even contest until the Chev forwards clicked into gear and the home crowd was treated to some classic driving mauls from the lineout for which the Redfield pack had no answer.
The visitor's No 12 was hard to contain but unfortunately limped off injured about midway.
Final score Chev 22 and Redfield 10 setting the stage for a great return bout at Redfield.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
He may well be a better 5/8 than has been playing there during the trials, but IMHO I don't believe that Toohey at 5/8 will work
He is a far better weapon from the fullback position.
Reason 1
The Pius scrum is at times poor in the set piece. Against Cranbrook the scrum went backwards ALL game with several tight-heads and very poor quality ball, If the scrum is going backwards then the inside backs are going backwards (and the backline ends up flat). Don't forget that Pius will probably come up against sizable forward packs. In this case Toohey (or whoever is at 5/8 has no room to move or attack.
Reason 2
The closer Toohey is to the set piece or break down, the less room he has to move, and against better teams he has even less time to use his weapon - acceleration. He needs room to move, and room to use that blistering pace.
Reason 3
I haven't seen Toohey play at 5/8 and I'm not sure how good his service will be both sides of the paddock (remembering that the 5/8 MUST be able to pass perfectly both ways). Toohey doesn't get an opportunity to pass too often because he breaks the line at such speed that 9 times out of 10 he has out run his support.
So I would keep your best weapon where he is guaranteed to be effective, and hope that a better 5/8 option is not too far away.

I don't disagree with your reasoning, my primary point is that Toohey needs to get his hands on the ball more often.
Whether that is at 10 or 13 or wherever, I don't think at 15 he sees enough of the ball to make the most of his skills.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ISA Div II round 1 was last weekend (aligned with CAS rounds).

It has been posted that Chev beat Redfields, but what about the other games and results?
Is Div II the same as last year: All Saints, Andrews, Central Coast, Redlands, (Chev and Redfields)?
Given the weather here, and reports about the weather for the Stannies game vs Riverview, I pity the team that was away to All Saints.

What about ISA Div III? BMGS, Oxley, Scots Bathurst, Chev 2nd XV, and ???
When does that start?

There isn't a draw on the ISA Web site and no results.
They still have winter 2013 results as the most current.

Not much on here about Gregs, Stannies, and Kinross from Div II. What is going on in the far flung outposts of ISA?

thejuggler

Frank Nicholson (4)
ISA Div II round 1 was last weekend (aligned with CAS rounds).

It has been posted that Chev beat Redfields, but what about the other games and results?
Is Div II the same as last year: All Saints, Andrews, Central Coast, Redlands, (Chev and Redfields)?
Given the weather here, and reports about the weather for the Stannies game vs Riverview, I pity the team that was away to All Saints.

When does that start?

There isn't a draw on the ISA Web site and no results.
They still have winter 2013 results as the most current.

Not much on here about Gregs, Stannies, and Kinross from Div II. What is going on in the far flung outposts of ISA?

Chev IIs beat St Gregs something of the order of 26-5 or 26-7, or was it 24-5 or 24-7. Not sure about conversions.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
When does that start?.......

Hugh, Div III are BMGS 1stXV, Oxley 1stXV, Scots Bathurst 1st XV, Pius 2ndXV, Auggies 3rdXV, Oakhill 3rd XV, Pats 3rd XV & Stannies 3rdXV. They start on 24th May along with the rest of Div1.

Chev 2XV, Pius 3rd XV, Gregs 3rd XV, Kinross 3rds are in the same comp as Stannies 4ths, Pats 4ths & Oakhill 4ths.

This hybrid arrangement applies to the lower age groups too.

Andrews was going to field a 2nds this year but had to drop out last minute. Hopefully next year and wish the Chev boys all the best.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
At least the weather was good !!

Not too hot, not too cold, and no breeze to make it unpleasant.

However the rugby was not good to watch.

Pats 22 St Pius 0.

When the two teams ran on to the field it was evident that Pats had a size advantage across the paddock, but that wasn’t reflected on the score board at half time with neither team able to get across the chalk.

Pats had the majority of the ball in the first half but continually rushed plays, and many players tried to be heroes and score, and resulted in nought. Hint #1 Pick and drive, use your size, take your time and play as a team.

Pius should have been proud of their efforts in defence in the 1st half. Their forwards are mobile and defend well but their set piece needs a lot of work (or some size to man-up against the bigger teams).

Pius and Pats both went close to scoring a couple of times before the bell, but desperate defence on the line was first class and resulted in turn-overs.

The second half was a different story.

Pats had many opportunities to score in the second half and seemed to be camped in the Pius half throughout.

Any Pius attack seemed to be shut down time and time again. The principal reason was because their set piece was horrible to watch. Many lineouts saw the ball flying over the jumper, and the scrums were appalling throughout the match with the scrum under pressure and going backwards or wheeling (resulting in more scrums).

Pius were under pressure and going backwards almost every scrum but Pats did not take advantage of the situation time and time again.

An interesting point was that Pats’ coaching staff made more than 20 substitutions (replacements) throughout the game (mainly to the tight 5) and Pius made zero changes (other than 2 injuries).

This seems to be a recurring practise with Pius, yet doesn’t seem to be reflecting a positive sign on the score boards or from a visual perspective – but who are we to question coaching staff (with such extensive experience ??).

I believe that Pats have a team with enormous potential – but selfish play is holding them back, and they need to go back to fundamentals and play to their strengths – their forward pack (as a unit, picking and driving more often). Then and only then will they compete and challenge for supremacy in the ISA comp.

Pius appear to need better guidance, because you can’t blame the same 15 if that’s all that is put on the field.

Well done Pats and good luck for the rest of the year.

Thankfully there is another trial match next week for Pius to play the same 15 or maybe use the match as a “trial” and trial a few other players to see how they perform in the higher grade (or give the starting 15 a break – like the past 4 opponents of Pius have done!!)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

An interesting point was that Pats’ coaching staff made more than 20 substitutions (replacements) throughout the game (mainly to the tight 5) and Pius made zero changes (other than 2 injuries).

<snip>

Was this a trial game or competition game?

If the latter, I thought that there is a limit to the number of replacements that teams are allowed to use in 1st XV rugby. Lower grades usually allow interchanges (a replaced player is allowed back on after a breather) but not in 1st XV. Most 1st XV competition rules specify replacements not interchanges, and there is typically an upper limit on the number of replacements. Often this is 7 or 8.

20 replacements seems a little excessive. Does that mean that the coach replaced the entire team with the 2nd XV and 5 blokes from the 16 A's or the 3rd XV? Wow.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well there you go, Toohet at #10 !!
How do you think he (really) went ??
Is reiterate, he is terrific, but needs room to move.
Today against Pats he had little to no room.

I made 3 reason not to play him there.
Two were correct and I was completely wrong.
Reason 3 - I was wrong - he has a great pass and can give excellent service to his outside backs - and today he tried numerous time to do so - to no avail,
Reason 1 - remains outstanding.
The Pius scrum was under pressure all day and put Toohey on the back foot. Solution - get a better front row.
Reason 2 is the same as reason 1 - get a get front row and you give Toohey more time to pass or run. The backline were on the back foot all day today and limited Toohey's ability to shine.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
A trial game. Players were run on and off several times.
Some players had more than one rest !!
There really didn't seem to be any restriction (and IMHO) it makes sense as a trial game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A trial game. Players were run on and off several times.
Some players had more than one rest !!
There really didn't seem to be any restriction (and IMHO) it makes sense as a trial game.

When do Div I games start? Is it 24 May or next weekend?

20 interchanges sounds reasonable for a trial match.

Apologies, I thought it was a competition game.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pius have another trial game next week, and start the following week.
Too many trial games I reckon !!
And yes 20 interchanges seems reasonable for a trial game. My point is that Pius have has less than 10 interchanges in 4 trial games.
great for the starting 15, but zero (I repeat - zero) value for the fringe players. And the results prove this statement.
Personally not impressed with the coaching staff (mutton dressed up as lamb at the moment).

Status
Not open for further replies.