• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)
Good call Billy Black - Great weather at Breen for the arm wrestle between Pats and Pius.

A good hit out for both teams and I'm happy to add my report to the mix. Let's not pretend these were any second rate teams or teams which are ravaged by absence or injury. It's a 'cheap shot' to suggest that a team needs a new front row or more go-forward; don't blame the coaches for the personnel they have to work with year-on-year.

But make no mistake, this was anybody's game, well beyond half time. Pius just needed a sniff of opportunity, as their energy started to wane. Unfortunately, they were held up over the line a number of times; and couldn't quite capitalize on plenty of opportunities.

Pat's have struggled up-front against Knox and Joeys, so they haven't had a lot of joy retaining their ball. Today, they did hold their own - perhaps, as Billy said, it's a matter of kilos - but Pats are by no means a heavy pack.

There was some attitude in this game, both teams were here to play; as evidenced by the expletive bravado at the kick-off; which had some mums looking forward to tomorrow; or looking anywhere, really. A heavy Pat's tackle (I think illegal - but the penalty went the other way) saw a melee erupt. I was heartened to see the older heads step in to diffuse the scene. Strong, legal play continued for the rest of the game.

Now to the technical aspects. Pius lacked cohesion in their play. They were able to compile phases and completed a number of forward plays. They retained ball, at times, and the backs had opportunities. They did not use the width of the paddock and the wingers went hungry. Also, their direction of play was predictable. Pat's forwards conserved energy as they lumbered over to the obvious plays. As I said before, Pius did cross Pats line a couple of times. A five-pointer could have changed the momentum a number of times.

I wrote about Pat's performance against Trinity. Basically, nothing was working - so the only way was 'up'. Now Pat's need to look at the next dimension of their play. Bad choices are hampering their ability to secure consistent phases. 'Coach killers' are still occurring:
Quick throw-ins to a single player, facing a wall of opposing players;
Half-back pick and drives;
Box-kicks when a tired forward pack has just won the ball
Quick taps when no-one is ready

Billy said that coaching, at this level, causes premature aging - I'm sure the St Pat's cohort would agree. However, there was some reward for Pat's coaches as they secured the win through the middle of the second half. The final try was sharp inside ball to a rampaging Joey Carbo, who crashed 15 metres to score. This was like printing your own money - so often tried, so often unsuccessful; but when it comes off - tears of joy swept through the (compulsory-attendance) Blue-Black-Gold army.

The stage is set for an intriguing ISA rematch. Pius can do much better than today's outing; the score did not reflect the drama, for the first 3/4 of the game. Pius need to focus on discipline and smart rugby. If (as Billy said) they are a smaller pack, they need to let the ball do more work and retain possession by building phases, while maintaining patience and composure.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well there you go, Toohet at #10 !!
How do you think he (really) went ??
Is reiterate, he is terrific, but needs room to move.
Today against Pats he had little to no room.

I made 3 reason not to play him there.
Two were correct and I was completely wrong.
Reason 3 - I was wrong - he has a great pass and can give excellent service to his outside backs - and today he tried numerous time to do so - to no avail,
Reason 1 - remains outstanding.
The Pius scrum was under pressure all day and put Toohey on the back foot. Solution - get a better front row.
Reason 2 is the same as reason 1 - get a get front row and you give Toohey more time to pass or run. The backline were on the back foot all day today and limited Toohey's ability to shine.
Didn't see the game today but I can imagine the scenarios you outline.
Interesting to see who plays 10 next week.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pats vs Pius 16A, pats 24-5, (19-0 H/T).
Pats extremely well drilled and structured, look like they will be a strong first XV in a couple of years.
Strong nuggety centre (looks and runs like a league player), scored 2tries ( May have even been 3).
Pius 1st half was characterised by missed tackles and side ways running in the backs.
2nd half they largely corrected both of those faults.

Sidestepper

Frank Row (1)
Hey Sidestepper,

How did Chev go at St Andrews today ???
Pretty well!
Final score was 53 to 12 and unlike last week where the Chev forwards held sway, this time it was the backs who shone.
A change at No 10 and some slick passing OUT IN FRONT resulted in some sparkling passages of play and tries.
There was a real battle going on up front with two big forward packs going at it at the set piece and breakdown.
The Chev No7 was outstanding in attack and defence, scoring two tries from darting runs in broken play and distributing the ball with intelligence.
Overall the game was played in good spirit and at a high skill level from some obvious rep players on both sides.

thejuggler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Excellent! I stayed home to watch what i thought might be a win for Bowral Blacks, based on recent form, but they got flogged instead. Ah, well!

Sidestepper

Frank Row (1)
Excellent! I stayed home to watch what i thought might be a win for Bowral Blacks, based on recent form, but they got flogged instead. Ah, well!
Can't win them all.
I must make a correction to my game report. It was the No 9 who stood out.
The old mungo in me made me say No7 I guess.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Pats vs Pius 16A, pats 24-5, (19-0 H/T).
Pats extremely well drilled and structured, look like they will be a strong first XV in a couple of years.
Strong nuggety centre (looks and runs like a league player), scored 2tries ( May have even been 3).
Pius 1st half was characterised by missed tackles and side ways running in the backs.
2nd half they largely corrected both of those faults.

The 16s at St Pats is the probably the most talented age group at the college - skill, size and depth. They were the only age group to give Joeys a run for their money in the As and Bs last week. So far this year they have been without their best forward (promoted to 1st XV) and best back (injured), but still have played well. Should be a strong 1st XV squad in 2015 and 2016.
Another college looking forward to a solid future 1st XV squad would be St Pius - their 14As performed very well on Saturday at St Pats. Ver y talented across the park.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
any good performances from 16's from Pius? ISA selections are next week.
Realistically no one on the Pius team played better than their Pats counterpart.
Matt Kennedy for Pius has played a bit of 1st XV this year, tall and quick, but played out of position so had no real opportunities.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Augies vs View
Word on the AAGPS thread is that Aisea Tukipili and Johnny Walker will both not be in the Augies vs Riverview game this coming weekend.

Both these boys would normally be walk in selections for ISA and would be highly likely to get a gig for NSW if fit.

Are they out for just the View game or are they out for the rep season as well? A rather big blow for the ISA rep team chances if it is the latter.

Any snouts on the Peninsula got a team list for Saturday's clash against View?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Augies vs View
Word on the AAGPS thread is that Aisea Tukipili and Johnny Walker will both not be in the Augies vs Riverview game this coming weekend.

Both these boys would normally be walk in selections for ISA and would be highly likely to get a gig for NSW if fit.

Are they out for just the View game or are they out for the rep season as well? A rather big blow for the ISA rep team chances if it is the latter.

Any snouts on the Peninsula got a team list for Saturday's clash against View?

1st boy out for the season from what I hear - both knee ligaments.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRC, there are a couple of Y11 front rowers at Augies who were in the SJRU or NSW Schools U16 last year.

Has anyone been feeding them plenty of good beef over the summer period? Are they ready to take on the big lads in open grade rep footy this year?

Snout tells me that the ISA rep trials are on this week, and that they will be a little more structured that previously. IIRC the process used last year was subject to a bit of criticism on the 2013 version of this thread.

Early days yet but Possible ISA I (based on 2013 form)

1. James PARTRIDGE Oakhill
2. Brendan HOLLIS St. Augustine's College
3. Conor DAVIDSON Chevalier College
5. Emerson ADCOCK St Andrews
6. Siaosi HALAIFONUA St. Augustine's College
7. John WALKER St. Augustine's College
8. James LOUGH St. Augustine's College
9. Jaydon FA'AVAE St Gregorys
13. Ned YEOMANS Kinross Woloroi
15. B FONTAINE St. Augustine's College

18. Patrick BYRNE Chevalier College
19. Declan MOORE St Andrews

Not considered due to injury:
Aisea TUKIPILI St. Augustine's College

Gaps to be filled by ISA U16 2013 boys.

There is a Lough Jnr, Jack Nettleton, Will McRae, Elia Faatui from SJRU/NSW Schools U16's/Augies that must be looking good for slots in the opens rep squad.

ISA 16 YRS SQUAD
Auggies.
B Dalton
E Faatui
J Hopoate
L Lough
W Macrae
J Nettleton
Pius
F toohey
St Pats
M Marcus
B James
T Rumore
Kinross
C Pratten
SCC
J Donato
D Maweln
J oxley
T Taekata
RFD
P Okosdlnossian
B Forrest
Oakhill
E Bostick
R Burke
Z Campton
R Chelvarajah
H Goddard
A graham,
J Kwok
L Robson
Two to be omitted at June 2 Training

Sidestepper

Frank Row (1)
IIRC, there are a couple of Y11 front rowers at Augies who were in the SJRU or NSW Schools U16 last year.

Has anyone been feeding them plenty of good beef over the summer period? Are they ready to take on the big lads in open grade rep footy this year?

Snout tells me that the ISA rep trials are on this week, and that they will be a little more structured that previously. IIRC the process used last year was subject to a bit of criticism on the 2013 version of this thread.

Early days yet but Possible ISA I (based on 2013 form)

1. James PARTRIDGE Oakhill
2. Brendan HOLLIS St. Augustine's College
3. Conor DAVIDSON Chevalier College
5. Emerson ADCOCK St Andrews
6. Siaosi HALAIFONUA St. Augustine's College
7. John WALKER St. Augustine's College
8. James LOUGH St. Augustine's College
9. Jaydon FA'AVAE St Gregorys
13. Ned YEOMANS Kinross Woloroi
15. B FONTAINE St. Augustine's College

18. Patrick BYRNE Chevalier College
19. Declan MOORE St Andrews

Not considered due to injury:
Aisea TUKIPILI St. Augustine's College

Gaps to be filled by ISA U16 2013 boys.

There is a Lough Jnr, Jack Nettleton, Will McRae, Elia Faatui from SJRU/NSW Schools U16's/Augies that must be looking good for slots in the opens rep squad.
I think that Brendan Hollis finished school last year Hugh, however it seems that Declan Moore has reinvented himself as a hooker this year and looked pretty good there playing for Sydney Uni colts 2 in early season and for St Andrews since the ISA II started this month.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks @ sidestepper. No one ever tells me anything when i ask them. :(

I usually have to find things out the hard way after I post a list up.

Just checked the Colts playing roster and Hollis B appears in the ManlY colts3 list for round 1 only as "Reserve 7" wearing Jumper #13.

Probably didn't twig that he might have left school. There have been a few Year 12 ISA, AAGPS and CHS boys popping up in the Colts lists.

Sidestepper

Frank Row (1)
Thanks @ sidestepper. No one ever tells me anything when i ask them. :(

I usually have to find things out the hard way after I post a list up.

Just checked the Colts playing roster and Hollis B appears in the ManlY colts3 list for round 1 only as "Reserve 7" wearing Jumper #13.

Probably didn't twig that he might have left school. There have been a few Year 12 ISA, AAGPS and CHS boys popping up in the Colts lists.
I expect you rely on some feedback from those closer to their respective competitions.
One other on your list is Marcus Hundt. He played for Central Coast Grammar last year but I see that he is running around with Gordon colts in 2014.
Chev play CCG this Sat and it will be interesting to see if he is there.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ISA web site doesn't have the most recent results but at least they have something up.

ISA Div II results
Round 1 3 May
Chevalier 22 Redfield 10 (BP to Chev)
St Andrews 34 Redlands 26 (BP to St Andrews & Redlands)
Central Coast 15 All Saints 13 (BP to All Saints)

ISA Rep Programme
Some Rep Programme information I have gleaned off other association web sites.
ISA U16 and U18 selection trials are this week, probably at Oxford Falls (again)

June 1 or June 8 will probably be training session at BMGS

June 15 @ Pittwater Rugby Park (Sunday)
ISA U16 v CCC U16 v CHS U16 (3 way trial)
NSWSRU U18s Trials: ISA I v CHS I, ISA II v CCC, CHS II v Country

June 20 @ Knox Grammar (Friday)
NSWSRU U18s Trials
CHS I v GPS I, CAS I v ISA I, GPS II v CHS II, CAS II v ISA II, GPS III v CCC, Country v AICES
Note: apparently no AICES U18 this year, so I reckon there will be no GPS 3's, and CCC will play Country.

June 21/22 @ Knox Grammar Saturday/Sunday
NSWSRU U16 CHAMPIONSHIPS

Status
Not open for further replies.