• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilot

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've seen Oakhill play this year, but did St Greg's have any talent ? I know the score suggest otherwise.

Any score from the Auggies v Kinross game?
Every time I watch St Gregs I feel that they are still a league school playing rugby. Not sure on how many of their dual coders played but they tend to get isolated and dont work as a unit around the ruck and mauls. They had many chances but dropped the ball when the line was open. 4 of their players made ISA so they have some talent. Just didnt click for them yesterday. Oakhill led 41-0 at half time so they did well in the second half and if they play like that for a full match they may trouble a side or two.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ISA Results from the Herald requires some deciphering. I hope I got it right

Div 1 Round 1:

Oakhill 53 ( C Thurlong, L Burland 2, Z Campton, L Croese, B Piccone, L Anderson, H Goddard, A Serrano, C Overton, Tries, H Goddard 4 Goals) bt St Gregory's 0

St Augustines 62 (B Woollett 2, L Lough 2, J Walker 2, S Halaifonua, J Lough, J Thomas, B Marr Tries, B Marr 4, L Lough 2 Goals) by Kinross 0

St Patricks 21 bt St Stanislaus 5

Div 1 Seconds:
St Augustines 26 bt Kinross Wolaroi 17
St Stanislaus 21 bt St Patricks 0
Oakhill 31 by St Gregory's 5

Div 2 Round 4:
Chevalier 35 bt Redlands 7
Redfields 57 bt Central Coast Grammar 7
St Andrews 29 bt All Saints 24 (from ISA Web site)

Points Table:
Chevalier 20
Redfields 15
St Andrews 10
Redlands 9
Central Coast 5
All Saints 4

Div 3 Round ?
Blue Mountains Grammar 1st XV 43 St Pius ?XV 38 (reported in the paper as Pius 38 bt BMGS 43!)

Edit: Missing results and Div 2 points table added from ISA Web Site (Div 2 only results posted).
http://isa.nsw.edu.au/ISA-results.html

rugbyfanatic123

Stan Wickham (3)
The first 10 minutes was very even and each side went about their business. A routine scrum deep in Stannies territory caught everybody by surprise. The ball popped out the wrong side (St Pat's tight head) and went 2 passes down a wide blindside - TRY 5-0.

Full credit must go to the St. Pat's tight-head prop Adam Cilona, selected in the ISA squad this year, who pretty much won that scrum for Pat's against the feed, although helped by a strong push from the other forwards. This was an extremely impressive play which got some momentum for Pat's. Pat's back line must be commended for following that play with a slick move to put Sean Mackay over in the corner.

blackie

Bob McCowan (2)
^^^^ It is usual ISA practice to announce a 38 person squad (2 teams of 15 and 8 reserves).

The final (still subject to change) teams for the CHS game at Rat Park is usually announced at the training session the week before.

There is usually movement of one or two lads from II's to I's (and vice versa) after the CHS game depending on form and injuries.

The squad of 38 will probably be in the papers tomorrow (as per usual practice). Check out the Sports results section in the SMH and Terrorgraph.

On trial match results reported so far on here, I'd predict lots (10-12) of Augies, 6-8 Oakhill, 5-ish Stannies, 4-5 Kinross, no more than 2 or 3 from the other schools.

Interesting observation from the selected CHS and CCC teams with 33 of the selected 59 players coming from the Country (includes some boys from Western Sydney Schools who are affliated to Country through their association with Campbelltown and Illawarra Rugby).

ISA should be too strong for both CHS and CCC given that the Best Forward and Player's Player from the 2013 Country Under 17's team was unable to gain selection in ISA's 38 man squad.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Interesting observation from the selected CHS and CCC teams with 33 of the selected 59 players coming from the Country (includes some boys from Western Sydney Schools who are affliated to Country through their association with Campbelltown and Illawarra Rugby).

ISA should be too strong for both CHS and CCC given that the Best Forward and Player's Player from the 2013 Country Under 17's team was unable to gain selection in ISA's 38 man squad.
How would one find the selected ISA Players?

Team Manager

Bob McCowan (2)

Did these boys actually trial?
I was speaking to a teacher from St Greg's the other day who said that one of their best players stood down from the ISA trials because he had already committed to NSW Country Under 18s, which clashed with one of the ISA trial games. ISA wanted the boys to fully commit to ever game and training session before they could be looked at so Jai Gunton stood down. He played loose head last Saturday for St Greg's (maybe Bob McCowan could tell us how he went). I mentioned in an earlier post that this player played in the NSW Under 18s last year, he didn't trial last year due to injury.

When are these NSW Country and the Schools going to get their heads together and work it out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge ISA only have two trial sessions and two games ,vs CHS I's (I's)/CCC I's (II's) and CAS (I's and II's).

If a bloke is not able to make those games or training sessions, then it is a bit tricky for the Selectors to choose them, and for the ISA Coaches to fit them into the overall team structures.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How would one find the selected ISA Players?
I prepared the list at Post #200 on page 10 of this thread based on a post that appears to have been subsequently deleted.

At that time it was claimed that the list had been on a "posted on a noticeboard at school", but like the post containing the list, that post also seems to have been deleted. on that basis I can not guarantee the accuracy of the list that I summarised at #200.

Post #202 also claims that there were two boys from Pius who were selected but not included on the list "on the school noticeboard".

Usually ISA release there squad list in the Weekend papers, but this doesn't seem to be the case this year (or if it was it has missed the scrutiny of usually reliable Gaggerland contributors).

With a training session (typically at BMGS) either this Sunday or next Sunday to prepare for the CHS/CCC games, one would hope that the boys know who is in and who is out. IMHO the list "on the noticeboard" is probably fairly accurate based on previous selections, and assuming that players have retained their form.

All should be revealed at Rat Park when ISA play CHS. They usually publish a programme for that day.

blackie

Bob McCowan (2)
Did these boys actually trial?
I was speaking to a teacher from St Greg's the other day who said that one of their best players stood down from the ISA trials because he had already committed to NSW Country Under 18s, which clashed with one of the ISA trial games. ISA wanted the boys to fully commit to ever game and training session before they could be looked at so Jai Gunton stood down. He played loose head last Saturday for St Greg's (maybe Bob McCowan could tell us how he went). I mentioned in an earlier post that this player played in the NSW Under 18s last year, he didn't trial last year due to injury.

When are these NSW Country and the Schools going to get their heads together and work it out.

Yes he did trial along with another Prop who has played State level for the past two years.There must be tremendous depth of Front Row stocks in the ISA given the unavailability of Aisea and Jai and the overlooking of another 2 State level Props one of which will be running around with his 2nd grade Colts team in Sydney when the ISA games are on.

Good luck to Jai I believe there are a couple of good tours planned for the Country Under 18's this year.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Oakhill take on their old foe's Auggies at Oakhill tomorrow, it will be a game played at a cracking pace with plenty of ISA talent on display. Good luck to all, it should be a very entertaining match to watch.

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)
St Pats travel over the range to meet Kinross at Orange. Keen to back-up last weeks domination of Stannies, Pat's need to overcome the geographical shift and put their best game on the paddock.

Cilona and James(ISA 2014) will lead the 'no-name' forwards(ISA & SJRU 16's 2012 & 2013) to continue the dogged defence and power-running that has frustrated their opponents. Still smarting from being used as 'jersey warmers' at the ISA trials, the no-names continue their quest to outplay their anointed rivals.

Pat's will need to improve in their line-outs and use their mobile loose forwards to test the defence of the Kinross inner backs. Kinross should be able to provide a healthy local crowd which will be worth points, when the adrenalin starts flowing.

This match will come down to the key play-makers making the right decisions. 'Panic' passes and 'hail mary's' need to be controlled to maintain ball security.

I'm tipping Kinross to win, in a thriller.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

One of the many rugby turf wars, sigh.

Smallest player base of all the football codes, but the most levels of representation. (Many overlapping and actually competing with each other for players)

Status
Not open for further replies.