• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2015

ISA Title

• Oakhill

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • St Augustines

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Kinross

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Stannies

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • St Pius

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • St Gregs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Pats

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Pilot#54​
Is it now time for ISA to adopt a home and away season?​
The draw is out and first game up is Auggies v Oakhill. The winner should win this years ISA shield. Stannies have a tough away draw this year and could cause an upset but I would fancy their chances if they had the 2 big sides at home. Pats and Gregs have some good players coming through but maybe next year will be a closer comp.​
Quick hands​
"Won't happen".#60

I wish I took this as a bet

Post #60 refers to a 2 round home and away season. Still hasn't happened.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Absolutely agree that ISA needs to go to a 6 team home and away plus semis comp.
Have never seen the sense in playing 5 or 6 trials then a 5 game season.

Unfortunately Pius cant handle Div 1 (in opens at least), just don't have the depth, it has become a soccer school.
4 XI teams vs 2 XV teams
12 out 15 soccer teams in the semis with 8 minor premiers.
If you were a kid in Yr 10 or 11 and you had a choice of playing soccer and winning some silver ware or playing rugby and getting pumped each week, not a hard choice.

Gregs are just as uncompetitive as Pius - and even less so in the age groups.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One ISA newsletter suggests that a two round home and away is on the cards for 2016 (10 matches)

I'll believe when I see it. It could well result in a parent and teacher revolt at some schools.

It also assumes that ISA member schools will want 2 rounds of getting flogged.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why will there be a parent/teacher revolt, what are the issues?

There are I'm told a signifcant number of people who don't really like going to Bathurst/Orange - leaving at 6.30am and returning at 6.30-7.30pm. They sort of tolerate it once, but would object to going twice.

I'm told by parents at one school that about 20 boys in each age group suddenly fell ill/became injured in the week leading up to a recent trek (all supported with notes from parents).

oakhilldad

Stan Wickham (3)
I really enjoyed the trip up there to watch a few games of Rugby in the country every now and again. Maybe I am in the minority. Fond memories, my son has finished now.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm sure some love it, some don't and a few probably don't care much either way. I guess it's much harder to expect players and parents in lower teams to be as enthusiastic as the boys and parents in the As who are generally rugby nuts.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
The drives to Bathurst and Orange are easy pleasent drives, schools provide busses, the parents don't have to have anything to do with the trip if they choose not too. They are aware of what they are signing up for. Commuting to week end sport means they finish school terms a week earlier. The precious little beans should get over themselves,

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
There are I'm told a signifcant number of people who don't really like going to Bathurst/Orange - leaving at 6.30am and returning at 6.30-7.30pm. They sort of tolerate it once, but would object to going twice.

I'm told by parents at one school that about 20 boys in each age group suddenly fell ill/became injured in the week leading up to a recent trek (all supported with notes from parents).
Yeah I wouldn't believe everything your told particularly from disenfranchised , at this point m.thatcher would say who,....give me their names .....I haven't heard this.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Th trips to Bathurst, Bowral and Goulburn (back in the day) were the most enjoyable part of playing Rugby away from home. As a player I loved it.

On the ball

Frank Row (1)
Geographic location is an obstacle that ISA member schools face that schools from other regular rugby playing associations do not. This occurs across all ISA sports (imagine travelling to Bathurst for cricket to be bowled for a golden duck). The proposal for a home and away season still only results in 5 away games for every school. For Sydney schools that will result in 2 country trips over the mountains each season (to Bathurst and Orange), however, for Stannies and Kinross they will be making 4 trips to Sydney each season. IMHO, this is worthwhile to ensure a longer and more competitive competition season (let's face it 6 competition games is not satisfactory). For 1st XV bonus points will become more important and schools will know that if they lose one game that their season is not necessarily over with an opportunity to win the return match.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Results ISA Div 2
Round 1 - 2 May: [All games cancelled]
St Andrews vs All Saints - St Andrews College Oval, Camperdown
Redfield vs Central Coast Grammar - Redfields College, Dural
Redlands vs Chevalier - Macquarie Uni Fields, Marsfield

Round 2 - 9 May:
Redfield 50 def Redlands 0 Redfields College, Dural
Chevalier 31 def All Saints 13, Burradoo
Central Coast Grammar 10 def by St Andrews 17, CCGS, Erina

Round 3 - 16 May:
Chevalier 7 def by Redfield 41, Burradoo
All Saints 0 def by Central Coast Grammar 32, Bathurst
Redlands 7 def by St Andrews 34, Macquarie Uni Fields, Marsfield

Round 4 - 23 May:
All Saints 13 def by Redfield 43, Bathurst
St Andrews 22 def Chevalier 15, St Andrews College Oval, Camperdown
Central Coast Grammar 50 def Redlands 0, CCGS, Erina

Round 5 - 30 May:
Redfield 46 def St Andrews 12, Redfield College, Dural
Redlands 17 def by All Saints 24, Macquarie Uni Fields, Marsfield
Central Coast Grammar 26 def Chevalier 19, CCGS, Erina

Round 6 - 13 June:
Central Coast Grammar 7 def by Redfield 17, CCGS, Erina
All Saints 26 def by St Andrews 27, Bathurst
Chevalier 50 def Redlands 0, Burradoo

Round 7 - 18 July:
Redlands vs Redfield - Macquarie Uni Fields, Marsfield - postponed?
All Saints vs Chevalier - Bathurst - postponed ?
St Andrews 5 def by Central Coast 19, St Andrews College Oval, Camperdown

Round 8 - 25 July:
Redfield 29 def Chevalier 19- Redfields College, Dural
Central Coast Grammar 25 def All Saints 6 - CCGS, Erina
St Andrews 38 def Redlands 7- St Andrews College Oval, Camperdown, Andrews by 30+

Round 9 - 1 August:
Redfield 36 def All Saints 5 - Redfields College, Dural
Chevalier 35 def St Andrews 15 - Burradoo
Redlands 5 def by Central Coast Grammar 45 - Macquarie Uni Fields, Marsfield

Round 10 - 8 August:
St Andrews 24 def Redfield 22- St Andrews College Oval, Camperdown.
All Saints 33 def Redlands 0 - Bathurst.
Chevalier 31 def Central Coast Grammar 22 - Burradoo.

Table:
thumb_16_ISA-Redfield-College-220x140.jpg
Redfield College - 36 points*

thumb_2_ISA-Central-Coast-Grammar-School-220x140.jpg
Central Coast Grammar School - 31 points
thumb_7_ISA-St-Andrews-Cathedral-School-220x140.jpg
St Andrews Cathedral School - 29 points

thumb_3_ISA-Chevalier-College-220x140.jpg
Chevalier College - 22 points*
thumb_13_ISA-All-Saints-College-Bathurst-220x140.jpg
All Saints College - 12 points*

thumb_6_ISA-Redlands-220x140.jpg
SCECGS Redlands - 1 point*

* Round 7 games postponed ?
Even if the Round 7 games were played, the places on the competition table would not change. If the Round 7 game that was played was removed and the round declared null, then positions 2 and 3 would change but there would be no difference to the composition of the Semi Final games.

Congratulations to Redfield College on winning the ISA Div 2 1st XV Minor Premiership.

ISA Div 2 semifinals:
Redfield College (1) 26 def Chevalier College (4) 10
Central Coast Grammar (2) vs St Andrew's Cathedral School (3)

To come - Grand Final:
Redfield College v (winner of Central Coast Grammar School vs St Andrew's Cathedral School)

http://www.isa.nsw.edu.au/winter-sports/rugby/

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Geographic location is an obstacle that ISA member schools face that schools from other regular rugby playing associations do not. This occurs across all ISA sports (imagine travelling to Bathurst for cricket to be bowled for a golden duck). The proposal for a home and away season still only results in 5 away games for every school. For Sydney schools that will result in 2 country trips over the mountains each season (to Bathurst and Orange), however, for Stannies and Kinross they will be making 4 trips to Sydney each season. IMHO, this is worthwhile to ensure a longer and more competitive competition season (let's face it 6 competition games is not satisfactory). For 1st XV bonus points will become more important and schools will know that if they lose one game that their season is not necessarily over with an opportunity to win the return match.

Do all the trips from the mountains have to be all the way?

What if St Gregs was playing Stannies could not Pius play at St Greg's grounds that weekend against Kinross?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

But does a longer season equate to a more competitive season?

Evidence from the GPS which has had 2 rounds for a few years now is that the mismatches tend to become more pronounced second time around.

Kinross, Pius and Gregs all seem to have had 40 plus points put on them regularly, do they really need a second hammering?

And these lopsided scores are magnified in the age groups - even in A games where 50, 60 or 70 plus scores occur.

I'm actually against the 2 rounds in the GPS and CAS as well - nothing to do with the travel, I just don't think it adds anything to the competition - quite the reverse. It also takes away the cross-association matches which were quite often closer matches as schools tended to arrange fixtures against like schools in the other association.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
all indications are that the two-round season is more than likely going to happen, as it does already for the other two dominant (rugby) associations. Those two associations circled their wagons, not the ISA. the three or four extra- assassinational affairs allowed the selection of similarly ranked schools to play against. It would seem this arrangement goes ok if you know your place and don't win too much. In the absence of an even competition what is the third association to do? is a ten match two round comp healthier than any other manifestation. drop the next two bottom teams and have a three round comp of four teams (9 games) or just pack up the association and stop embarrassing the schools that own rugby in this country.

Something constructive... you know !
Bah humbug is one thing ... It wont work..... thanks Jeremiah

you know yourself the two that came before are not inclined to dismember their tradition or associations. They wont take part in competition outside of their enclaves. They are happy to parasitise the new association (see the Voldemort thread) or club rugby

and ultimately "doesn't bother me because my son doesn't go to an ISA school."
what a useful contribution you make

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Always thought a good set up would be for each association to play one round . At the end of that you have a ranking so that the top two teams of each association then play the top two teams of the other associations. 3rd and 4th do like wise etc.
This is done in 1,2,16a and bs.
Schools get their kudos from their association and the boys get some good rugby. I know there would be logistical issues but there would be some great rugby and I think Shore would win the odd game

Status
Not open for further replies.