• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2015

ISA Title

• Oakhill

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • St Augustines

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Kinross

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Stannies

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • St Pius

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • St Gregs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Pats

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyfanatic123

Stan Wickham (3)
Pats have numerous players returning including Drew Denford (#4), Tony Rumore (#6), Patrick Calavassy (#7), Anthony Mancuso (#11), Nathan Taweel (#12), Sean Mackay (#14) and a few other regular bench players like Jarrod McLachlan, Nick Vatovec and Harry Tunstall. They also won the ISA in the 16's (undefeated) which will add some depth to the Open's Squad. The Seconds team was also comprised of various Year 11's in 2014.

Worrying signs though as they will be losing their whole front row as well as halves combination. Saying this, Under 16's player in 2014 Adam Douehi proved himself on numerous occassions when required to replace Matthew Thomas due to ongoing back spasms.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree QH, but there's some diamonds amongst them (look up this years schools 16s). They will be joining one of the strongest age groups who will be 18 next year and have played or been blooded in this years 1st XV

The impression I got in watching the Auggies 16A early in the year vs late in the year was that later in the year they had all the League rep players playing and that made a big difference?
Fair comment??

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pius is looking good for the upcoming season with a lot of depth in the new opens squad and a Big pre season just starting to set in.

I don't doubt the enthusiasm of the Pius opens squad but unfortunately I cant see many 1st XV players coming out of this years 16's so I am not sure how they are going to significantly improve.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The impression I got in watching the Auggies 16A early in the year vs late in the year was that later in the year they had all the League rep players playing and that made a big difference?
Fair comment??
Without being 100% sure I don't think thats right. Its been a funny age grp that is onlyjust getting it together. The league boys have played all year but I don’t think there are many of them. Some of their best players have always played up in their year grp

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Without being 100% sure I don't think thats right. Its been a funny age grp that is onlyjust getting it together. The league boys have played all year but I don’t think there are many of them. Some of their best players have always played up in their year grp

I based my comment on the two games vs Pius.
The trial early in the year was a reasonable contest but the last game of the year was a whitewash.
Superficially it seemed the difference between the two games was the no 10, no 15 and Hopate at 12. none of whom played early in the year.
Hence the question mark.
Cheers

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)

Maybe it was a more a case of those boys playing up in the opens early in the year rather than playing league.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Early in the season at the trial games and earlier games some of the key players were unavailable due to league commitments e.g. State Of Origin U16s, Bonny H.

In the middle of the season there were ongoing injuries unfortunately to key players and as well, as I pointed out on another thread, certain schools scheduling their games at 2pm thus making the key players unavailable for their 16A game as they had to be available for the Opens due to injuries in the Opens (clever move, those schools).

Last game of the season v Pius all the stars aligned, no league, a morning game and no injuries. Result 65-0, or thereabouts.

Looking forward to another exciting season of ISA rugby in 2015.

Ben Dover

Frank Nicholson (4)
I agree Shane Smeltz!!!

Perhaps an ISA 1st XV prediction is on the cards.. Ill have a crack at it- Feel free to add players as I do not know all the possibilities...
Based on returning players and players in form from the 2014 season.

1. A.Graham (Oakhill)/E.Afu (Auggies)
2. J.Nettleton (Auggies)
3. W.Mcrae (Auggies)
4. E.Faatui (Auggies)
5. L.Robson (Oakhill)
6. M.Hingano (Auggies)/T.Rumore (Pats)
7. L.Anderson (Oakhill)
8. ?
9. H.Goddard (Oakhill)
10. ?
11. ?
12. L.Lough (Auggies)
13. B.Hopoate (Auggies)
14. H.O'toole (Auggies) - Selected for ISA 1's then pulled out due to injury.
15. F.Toohey (Pius)

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Been a bit quiet on the old ISA feed lately… Anyone got any info on trial matches ?? and how the teams have been travelling in the off and pre season??

shortballking

Herbert Moran (7)
Been a bit quiet on the old ISA feed lately… Anyone got any info on trial matches ?? and how the teams have been travelling in the off and pre season??
I know auggies have a trial against shore next term and I think they have a trial against view! They are looking favourites as usual and have heard they've been training hard throughout the off season.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pius have trials against Cranbrook, Aloysius, Pats and Sydney Boys.
Core group have been training in the gym to build up strength to counter the lack of size.
Depth could be a problem though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Term Holidays soon. Who is touring where?

Oakhill can usually be relied upon to be going somewhere interesting.

Augies usually tour NZ or play some inbound NZ School.

What is happening with ISA Div 3? Same as last year with the smaller schools playing 3rd XV from the larger schools?

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
Do any of my fellow wordsmith's have ideas of whom will be in the 1st XV ISA teams for 2015?

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
St Pats could have a couple of candidates for the ISA 'vacant' spots.
Douehi at #10 is a possible - deceptively quick, good passing and kicking game, and reads the game well. Caused havoc on many occassions in the 16s last year, and filled in the 1st XV on occassion and didn't look out of place.
PS : word from across the mountains is that Stannies are preparing well - will give a few of the more fancied teams a shake this year i suspect.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If @CB Set was after punters to have a lash at the ISA representative 1st XV rather than the individual ISA School 1st XV, here is a listing of who I believe will be returning to School in 2015 that were in either ISA I or ISA II last year. The list is incomplete with the 2015 disposition of a number players from Stannies and Pats unknown.

While incumbency does not always guarantee selection the following year for all sorts of reasons, it is a useful and known starting point for discussions.

ISA 1s
1. Will McRAE St. Augustine's College, ISA I
2. Jack NETTLETON St. Augustine's College, ISA I
3. Andrew GRAHAM Oakhill College, ISA II
4. James DONATO St Stanislaus' College, ISA II
5. Liam ROBSON Oakhill College, ISA I
6. Elia FAATUI St Augustine's College, ISA II
7. Lachlan ANDERSON Oakhill College, ISA I
9. Harrison GODDARD Oakhill College, ISA I
10. Ben MARR St Augustine's College, ISA II
11.Jakobi ROBSON Kinross Wolaroi School
12. Luke LOUGH St. Augustine's College, ISA I
15. Fraser TOOHEY St Pius X College, ISA I

ISA 2s
2. Sam THOMAS St Stanislaus' College, ISA II
9. Joshua OXLEY St Stanislaus' College, ISA II

The returning Veterans should form the nucleus of the 2015 ISA I's team if they can retain their form and remain injury free, less Joshua OXLEY who will most likely be stuck behind Australian Schoolboy Harrison GODDARD, and Sam THOMAS who needs to overcome the returning Combined States rake Jack NETTLETON.

CB Set

Peter Burge (5)
If @CB Set was after punters to have a lash at the ISA representative 1st XV rather than the individual ISA School 1st XV, here is a listing of who I believe will be returning to School in 2015 that were in either ISA I or ISA II last year. The list is incomplete with the 2015 disposition of a number players from Stannies and Pats unknown.

While incumbency does not always guarantee selection the following year for all sorts of reasons, it is a useful and known starting point for discussions.

Though this is quite interesting, my idea was more aimed at the individual first XV teams for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.