• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeh fair, I didn't check Ono's age, just made an assumption sorry, whereas Tatekawa is only 26, though he played best at 12, outside ono at 10.

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting Squad. Slightly weaker than expected - I had hoped they would have picked up Ono, Hatekayama, Matsushima, Amenaki Mafi, Thompson, Broadhurst, Fujita but Fa'atiga Lemalu looks a fairly good pick up that I hadn't heard before the announcement. I think the first XV will be competitive but even just a couple of injuries and a lack of depth will be exposed. I imagine a full strength 23 will look something like:

1. Keita Inagaki
2. Shota Horie
3. Shinnosuke Kakinaga
4. Liaki Moli
5. Fa'atiga Lemalu
6. Ed Quirk
7. Andrew Durutalo
8. Tomas Leonardi
9. Atsushi Hiwasa
10. Tusi Pisi
11. John Stewart
12. Harumichi Tatekawa
13. Derek Carpenter
14. Akihito Yamada
15. Riaan Viljoen

16. Masataka Mikami
17. Ziun Gu
18. Takeshi Kizu
19. Hitoshi Ono
20. Shinya Makabe
21. Yuki Yatomi
22. Yu Tamura
23. Hajime Yamashita

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Top League 1/4 finals matches are on the tellie ATM, Eurosport.
Canon vs Panasonic on now.
Toyota vs Toshiba coming up.

At the risk of coming across as an idiot, can you please educate me on which international competitions are broadcast on Eurosport/FOX?

Is it simply Top 14, Top League (playoffs only) & some Heineken Cup? English Premiership ever broadcast?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Aviva Premiership, Pro12, Champions Cup, and Challenge cup (new names for Heineken Cup and Amlin Cup respectively), are broadcast by BeIN Sports, an Dubai based network that took over the contracts from Setanta when they went bust. It's slightly more expensive than Setanta was (~$18 rather than ~$15 a month) but comes with streaming options as well.

BeIN has the rights to broadcast 3 Pro12 and 3 Aviva Premiership games per round. In addition, they hold the rights to broadcast all televised Champions Cup and Challenge Cup matches.

They also hold Live Broadcast rights to the 6 Nations, with ESPN having the delayed broadcast rights (I think). Isolated test matches or tours (One of the All blacks November International tours was) sometimes get bought by them as well.

Otherwise Fox Sports is Super Rugby, and Eurosport is Top 14, and occasionally Top League.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Aviva Premiership, Pro12, Champions Cup, and Challenge cup (new names for Heineken Cup and Amlin Cup respectively), are broadcast by BeIN Sports, an Dubai based network that took over the contracts from Setanta when they went bust. It's slightly more expensive than Setanta was (~$18 rather than ~$15 a month) but comes with streaming options as well.

BeIN has the rights to broadcast 3 Pro12 and 3 Aviva Premiership games per round. In addition, they hold the rights to broadcast all televised Champions Cup and Challenge Cup matches.

They also hold Live Broadcast rights to the 6 Nations, with ESPN having the delayed broadcast rights (I think). Isolated test matches or tours (One of the All blacks November International tours was) sometimes get bought by them as well.

Otherwise Fox Sports is Super Rugby, and Eurosport is Top 14, and occasionally Top League.

Thank you kindly!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting Squad. Slightly weaker than expected - I had hoped they would have picked up Ono, Hatekayama, Matsushima, Amenaki Mafi, Thompson, Broadhurst, Fujita but Fa'atiga Lemalu looks a fairly good pick up that I hadn't heard before the announcement. I think the first XV will be competitive but even just a couple of injuries and a lack of depth will be exposed. I imagine a full strength 23 will look something like:

1. Keita Inagaki
2. Shota Horie
3. Shinnosuke Kakinaga
4. Liaki Moli
5. Fa'atiga Lemalu
6. Ed Quirk
7. Andrew Durutalo
8. Tomas Leonardi
9. Atsushi Hiwasa
10. Tusi Pisi
11. John Stewart
12. Harumichi Tatekawa
13. Derek Carpenter
14. Akihito Yamada
15. Riaan Viljoen

16. Masataka Mikami
17. Ziun Gu
18. Takeshi Kizu
19. Hitoshi Ono
20. Shinya Makabe
21. Yuki Yatomi
22. Yu Tamura
23. Hajime Yamashita

I'm liking your team, but I feel that in the 2nd row/back row they will include a Japanese player.

Guys like Lemalu, Moli and Makabe can be interchanged between 4-5-6-8 so either way you run it, I think either solid unit Makabe, or the Victor Matfield of Japan - Ono, will be in the run on XV, probably at the expense of Quirk, bugs me Lemalu is listed as an 8 on their site, but I guess scumming at 4 & 5 is about tech & strength over just height. I reckon Makabe is like L.Timani, just a brickshithouse to hold the scrum steady behind the THP.

In the back, I think they need a guy with some real size, so I'm preaching swap Stewart or Yamada out for Lotoahea, (who will probably debut for Blossums in 2016 also),

and though I like Tamura, with 2 ball players already at 10 & 12, I can see wrecking ball Poseti being the impact player @ 12/13, and the bigger, more experienced, and more versatile formers 7s player Sasakura getting the 23. over Yamashita.​
1. Inagaki 2. Horie 3. Kakinaga​
4. Ono 5. Makabe​
6. Lemalu 8. Leonardi 7. Durutalo​
9. Hiwasa 10. Pisi 12. Tatakawa 13. Carpenter​
11. Stewart 15. Viljoen 14. Lotoahea​
16. kizu 17. Mikami 18. Gu 19. Moli 20. Quirk 21. Yatami 22. Poseti 23. Sasakura​

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
At the risk of coming across as an idiot, can you please educate me on which international competitions are broadcast on Eurosport/FOX?

Is it simply Top 14, Top League (playoffs only) & some Heineken Cup? English Premiership ever broadcast?
Until yesterday I thought Eurosport only did Top14. I found the Top League matches by accident, channel surfing. It made for a very lazy afternoon in front of the tellie!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
*snip*

In the back, I think they need a guy with some real size, so I'm preaching swap Stewart or Yamada out for Lotoahea, (who will probably debut for Blossums in 2016 also),

*snip*

I take your point about wanting a larger gentleman in the backs but I don't think they'll leave out Yamada. The guy scores tries, 13 tries in 14 test matches isn't bad and, in the Top League he averages about one try per game. I wish the Force had given him a crack last year.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I take your point about wanting a larger gentleman in the backs but I don't think they'll leave out Yamada. The guy scores tries, 13 tries in 14 test matches isn't bad and, in the Top League he averages about one try per game. I wish the Force had given him a crack last year.

Agreed. Looks like pocket rocket stewart gets the flick haha

T

TOCC

Highlanders have confirmed that Jamie Joseph will become coach of Japan's test team following the Super Rugby season.