• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan vs Wallabies, Nissan Stadium, Yokohama, Sat 4th Nov 4.40pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

It's ludicrous for people to suggest that posters here are ahead of the coaches in identifying talent

I don’t think it’s ludicrous at all, plenty of people on this forum here have affiliations with different rugby unions at varying levels, age groups and representative levels. Some have followed players through their various pathways. It’s not unreasonable to expect some forumers to have watched more a certain players then Cheika has and have a better understanding of their strengths and weaknesses.

I get tired of this rhetoric that fans can’t objectively critique the wallabies and the player selections because the coaches must know better.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I get tired of this rhetoric that fans can’t objectively critique the wallabies and the player selections because the coaches must no better.

I agree, though sometimes we lose balance the other way (not saying this is you btw). Sometimes a player is selected for a reason that fans don't see or acknowledge - the way they can execute a selected plan or role, good performances at training, etc etc.

The coaches don't always know best, but they aren't morons either.

Except for Tony McGahan.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Sure, some people have associations with various players and follow them closely (e.g Mr Doug & Sam Carter), but just because said players aren't selected for the national side immediately following the suggestion they should be doesn't mean they aren't on the radar.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It was interesting that almost all the clearing kicks from inside our 22 were done by Beale.

Hodge should clearly retain the penalty kicks for touch.

I'd imagine the goal kicking duties will go back to Foley but certainly he has to keep a high standard to retain the role now.

When Hodge has been the full time kicker at the Rebels he had great days and then off days where he missed a whole heap so he isn't immune from getting the yips either. Certainly we can't say off the back of one performance that he is a more accurate goal kicker than Foley.

Most of the kicks Hodge did inside our own half were bombs. A couple drifted a little close to the touch line but they were quite effective with Koroibete chasing. When Folau returns they could be a handy little play to have if Hodge can kick it into the stratosphere and make it contestable for Israel. The contestable kick hasn't been a major part of the Wallabies game for the past few years but with Hodge's boot, the speed of guys like Koroibete, and the aerial skills of Folau it could be a useful play. NZ used it very effectively against us for a period when Dagg and Smith were in the team before Folau was there to defuse a lot of them.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
One thing that's remarkable about Hodge's kicking in general play is that he punts the ball whilst standing still and doesn't utilise the 2-3 steps of run-up favoured by all other kickers.

It's amazing considering that he can kick the ball so far without the momentum offered by a run up, but it also makes him susceptible to charge downs.

Most players utilise the couple of steps to get on the outside of charging players, and Hodge standing dead still makes it very obvious where a player should position themselves to maximise their chances of blocking it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I haven't had the opportunity to watch the game - do FoxSports have full replays?

In any case, a lot of people seem to have a stiffy over Hodge, like he's Foley's automatic replacement. And that's great; we all need fantasies.

The problem of course, when everyone starts talking about how Hodge has a cannon while Foley has a popgun, is that Hodge's action to get those yards is slooooooooooooowwww. So expect more chargedowns.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don’t think it’s ludicrous at all, plenty of people on this forum here have affiliations with different rugby unions at varying levels, age groups and representative levels. Some have followed players through their various pathways. It’s not unreasonable to expect some forumers to have watched more a certain players then Cheika has and have a better understanding of their strengths and weaknesses.

I get tired of this rhetoric that fans can’t objectively critique the wallabies and the player selections because the coaches must no better.

It is also not unreasonable to appreciate that Cheika, Larkham & Grey are working with these guys every day for months on end and aren't idiots

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I can't work out if Hodge is quick or not. I want to say he is fast, just with a bizarre running gait, except on the weekend he really did look slow.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One thing that's remarkable about Hodge's kicking in general play is that he punts the ball whilst standing still and doesn't utilise the 2-3 steps of run-up favoured by all other kickers.

It's amazing considering that he can kick the ball so far without the momentum offered by a run up, but it also makes him susceptible to charge downs.

Most players utilise the couple of steps to get on the outside of charging players, and Hodge standing dead still makes it very obvious where a player should position themselves to maximise their chances of blocking it.

Quite how Hodge kicks the ball so damn high and far has to be considered one of the great scientific problems of our time.

T

TOCC

It is also not unreasonable to appreciate that Cheika, Larkham & Grey are working with these guys every day for months on end and aren't idiots

Certainly aren’t idiots, but aren’t perfect either, nor are they above or beyond being held accountable or questioned by the fans and stakeholders of Australian Rugby.

I’ve been around long enough to know that time together doesn’t equate to tapping into a persons full potential, whether that be in workplaces or a rugby team.

Yeah I get it, you can rarely fault Cheika and his assistants and find a way to justify all his decisions and selections. I don’t, I think he is a good coach but is still learning, he seems to be moving in the right direction but that doesn’t mean he isn’t making mistakes along the way. If I see something which I think is a poor decision or selection I will call it as such.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It was interesting that almost all the clearing kicks from inside our 22 were done by Beale.

Hodge should clearly retain the penalty kicks for touch.

I'd imagine the goal kicking duties will go back to Foley but certainly he has to keep a high standard to retain the role now.

When Hodge has been the full time kicker at the Rebels he had great days and then off days where he missed a whole heap so he isn't immune from getting the yips either. Certainly we can't say off the back of one performance that he is a more accurate goal kicker than Foley.

But we can say he kicks it a huge distance further than Foley, so he offers more threat in that regard than Foley does. Something the opposition would be on the alert about you'd imagine.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But we can say he kicks it a huge distance further than Foley, so he offers more threat in that regard than Foley does. Something the opposition would be on the alert about you'd imagine.

He will still take the long range goal kicks as he has done all year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Everyone needs to get a grip.
We beat a Japan team that actually showed very little other than how easy it is to strip the ball from Rob Simmons.
We somewhat unconvincingly beat a Baa Baa's team coached by an old fart who doesn't even know the laws.
While we're patting ourselves on the back, and arguing about how many pats the coaches deserve, Wales and England are having live scrum practice against each other in Bristol: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/05/england-scrum-session-wales-bristol-eddie-jones
if not this week then shortly normal service will be resumed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Certainly aren’t idiots, but aren’t perfect either, nor are they above or beyond being held accountable or questioned by the fans and stakeholders of Australian Rugby.

I’ve been around long enough to know that time together doesn’t equate to tapping into a persons full potential, whether that be in workplaces or a rugby team.

Yeah I get it, you can rarely fault Cheika and his assistants and find a way to justify all his decisions and selections. I don’t, I think he is a good coach but is still learning, he seems to be moving in the right direction but that doesn’t mean he isn’t making mistakes along the way. If I see something which I think is a poor decision or selection I will call it as such.

More trying to understand what they are trying to do

Frankly I am just getting sick of the endless negativity and moaning around here

I guess I try to have a different outlook

We beat the ABs and score a million against Japan and the "vibe" around here seems to be we are supporting a bunch clueless fools who have no idea or talent

I beg to differ

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well it was a scoreboard flogging as expected against a minnow nation.

Cheika would be filthy the Japs scored that last rty and the fact they put 30 on the board.

A win- yes.

A good performance - by no means

T

TOCC

More trying to understand what they are trying to do

Frankly I am just getting sick of the endless negativity and moaning around here

I guess I try to have a different outlook

We beat the ABs and score a million against Japan and the "vibe" around here seems to be we are supporting a bunch clueless fools who have no idea or talent

I beg to differ

That’s your interpretation of events.. there’s a lot of positive comments around here but you tend to focus on just the negative issues people raise.

I’m also a little sick and tired of having to defend the right to say anything negative or critical about the Wallabies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well it was a scoreboard flogging as expected against a minnow nation.

Cheika would be filthy the Japs scored that last rty and the fact they put 30 on the board.

A win- yes.

A good performance - by no means

It was a great performance, some of the tries we scored out there were absolutely fantastic. The break made by Speight or the angled pass from Beale spring to mind. At 60+ up by 45 or more with 15 to go, you can hardly blame them for clocking off a bit.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Sure, some people have associations with various players and follow them closely (e.g Mr Doug & Sam Carter), but just because said players aren't selected for the national side immediately following the suggestion they should be doesn't mean they aren't on the radar.

Realistically, KOB, Sam's chances of getting back in the Wallabies 23 are limited, barring multiple injuries, and none of us would want that to happen. I do however, have to say that the smile on Sam's face after he scored a try for the Barbarians against the All Blacks at Twickenham, on Saturday night was 'gold'! It was something his father, Dave, was never able to achieve whilst playing for the Wallabies!!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It was a great performance, some of the tries we scored out there were absolutely fantastic. The break made by Speight or the angled pass from Beale spring to mind. At 60+ up by 45 or more with 15 to go, you can hardly blame them for clocking off a bit.

So are you also saying the defence was absolutely fantastic. Realistically the defence was shit. Look at the scoreboard. The result needs to be kept in perspective. It's not a difficult thing to do (for most)

Status
Not open for further replies.