• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see the BRoncos have missed out on Cam Smith. Not many other players on the market apparently. They were then eyeing off that young Manly half back, but Manly reckon they will keep him because they are cashed up.

So the BRoncs have money and are looking for a hooker/half back.

I reckon they will go after JOC (James O'Connor) big time. Will be interested to see how committed he is to the RWC

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I see the BRoncos have missed out on Cam Smith. Not many other players on the market apparently. They were then eyeing off that young Manly half back, but Manly reckon they will keep him because they are cashed up.

So the BRoncs have money and are looking for a hooker/half back.

I reckon they will go after JOC (James O'Connor) big time. Will be interested to see how committed he is to the RWC

He already knocked back the storm last October, which was around the time every man and his dog was telling him to fuck off and grow up, so I assume he is fairly committed to rugby.

Tackennut

Bob McCowan (2)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) didn't consider the fact that this year's super 15 other young talent will rise to the surface and I wouldn't be surprised that even if he does come back the talent he will be competing with will make it almost impossible for him to get back into the mix for the RWC. I think we have seen evidence of this with the performances of Matt To'omua over the last 12 months.

The longer he leaves it the more likely the chances of developing players will come through and JOC (James O'Connor) becoming isolated and overseas being his only option. This year will see a number of new up and coming younger players elevate their performances to the next level. Once this happens this thread will be better renamed "JOC (James O'Connor) remember him"

I like the kid...... But can't see a way forward to RWC for him given his current path.

Pete

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I just can't see him turning his life around sufficiently to satisfy The Pulveriser.

Bill has said this about the situation:

“The tough penalty was a result of the "cumulative impact" of O'Connor's bulging disciplinary file in the ARU Human Resources' office, dating back several years.”

"If you look at any one of these incidents in isolation, none of them as far as I'm aware was life threatening, none involved breaking the law but when you look at the cumulative impact, they in total represent unacceptable behaviour,"

"When I look back at James's record, there have been many instances where he has been counselled and sadly his behaviour has not responded in the way we felt appropriate."

"When you look at the incidents on James’s record, in many ways there were a lot of not exactly uniquely serious incidents,"

"It's a long list of behavioural concerns which when you look at them cumulatively warrant this sort of action. It's fair to say we should have responded more firmly historically and maybe we wouldn't be where we are today."

“If James chooses to stay in Australia and play Super Rugby, he would be eligible to play for the Wallabies in 2014, as long as his behaviour was consistent with our expectations and if his form warranted selection,”

“We appreciate James’ contribution to Australian Rugby and his unique skill and flair when playing, but have determined that James must make some changes with respect to his off-field responsibilities and ensure that this approach is consistent with the values of our game.”

“We pride ourselves on living the values of Rugby – passion, integrity, discipline, respect and teamwork. James has accepted these values need to be consistently upheld on and off the field at all times.

“We are hopeful that James will stay in Australian Rugby and play in next year’s Super Rugby competition and that he sees this as an opportunity to re-focus his attitude and invest in all aspects of his professional Rugby career.”

“We would consider reviewing our position regarding a national contract for 2015 and beyond if we believe James’ behaviour is consistent with the values associated with being a Wallaby.”

“This has been a difficult decision for all parties. James is a player with huge potential and someone who has the capacity to make a significant long-term contribution to our game – but after assessing the evidence of numerous incidents, we have an obligation to uphold the values of our game and James understands that.”

Pulver said cracking down on behavioural issues and keeping rugby's "core values" was a priority not only for cultural reasons, but to safeguard endorsement and sponsorship revenue from companies keen to align with respectable athletes

The Pulveriser is a sensible business man who clearly prioritises pandering to Rugby’s commercial revenue needs over pandering to Rugby’s Talent. With the Code under some financial stress ATM, it is hard to fault this prioritisation.

T

Train Without a Station

I think JOC (James O'Connor) didn't consider the fact that this year's super 15 other young talent will rise to the surface and I wouldn't be surprised that even if he does come back the talent he will be competing with will make it almost impossible for him to get back into the mix for the RWC. I think we have seen evidence of this with the performances of Matt To'omua over the last 12 months.

Excellent point. Every game he is away for, he gives another bloke a chance to show they can be as valuable to the wallabies as he is.

Personally, whilst he is one of the more talented rugby players we have, I don't think we need him and I consider us better off without him. I'm probably wrong but I just cannot shake the view of him that he's better for the highlight reel than others, but for team dynamic and overall best team result, others are better and that he is too much of an individual player.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Not all of us hate him.

Sorry, I don't recall someone saying they 'hate' JOC (James O'Connor) in this thread? I think there have been many comments on the questionable decision he has made and how that makes people feel, but I don't think the word hate was used. For me I think his made some dumb decisions that he may one day regret, but they are his to make.

TBH summed it up beautifully judge someone one their actions, no words.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
James is a great finisher and has a nose for the try line.

But his problem is that he has been found out as a playmaker and a good finisher is probably the easiest spot for a young up and comer to take.

I really hope the Force don't pick him up in 2015. If his heart was in redemption, he would be playing Super Rugby this year.

T

Train Without a Station

Did the Force not have a contract offer with conditions attached? He chose not to pursue that didn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.