• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

J'OC won't be playing 12 for the Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
It's interesting then, WJ, that Deans has never shown the slightest interest in or intent of using that type of inside centre.

But Bruce, if you were to go by stats say, who would you choose as this big inside centre?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Wait ... what's that sound?

[video=youtube;xEF4zH6XHCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEF4zH6XHCk[/video]

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, Eric Liddell did play wing for Scotland, and there was nothing deceptive about his pace, as opposed to our own Chariots.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good choice, he has been playing well on the wing. James O'Connor at 12 can be easily marked, where as in the outside backs he gets many more chances in broken play (where he excels).

O'Connor is probably our future 12, but right now lets stick to what we have been working on for the last 4 years.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Good choice, he has been playing well on the wing. James O'Connor at 12 can be easily marked, where as in the outside backs he gets many more chances in broken play (where he excels).

O'Connor is probably our future 12, but right now lets stick to what we have been working on for the last 4 years.

There are probably more than a few people on here who would love you to explain exactly what that is!!

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
it looks like it's Barnes or Giteau for 12 this year:

Once again the Deans talent for obfuscation comes to the fore.

Deans said yesterday that his comments on O'Connor had been misinterpreted.

"All I'm saying is he won't be selected to play 12 for 80 minutes week-to-week, back-to-back," Deans said.

"That doesn't mean he is not able and capable of playing there. It doesn't mean you won't see him in that role. You will, and he has shown that he is more than able to cope with it.

In other news, if you're good enough, or were thought to be good enough by some at some stage in the past, you can be contracted to play for the wallabies without getting on the park in Super rugby:

Deans said he would be prepared to select former Test second rower Dan Vickerman in the World Cup squad even if he did not play for the Waratahs in Super Rugby.

Vickerman, who has spent the past two years studying economics at Cambridge University, will return to Sydney in the middle of the month to make a late bid for World Cup selection.

If the Waratahs do not reach the playoffs, Vickerman will only have the game against the Brumbies in the last round of the regular season to impress Deans.

But Vickerman will get to play for Sydney University in the Sydney club competition and Deans will take that into account.

"We have kept in contact," Deans said. "He has been concentrating on concluding his studies. He is in good physical shape, according to him. That will become evident as soon as he hits the ground."

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Rereading that, I'm prepared to put money on O'Connor being selected to play 12 for 80 minutes week-to-week, back-to-back as Robbie has now stated it won't happen. And that makes me happy.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That 4th lock is an interesting one and it looks like Vickerman will get it. The other three a pretty much locked (no pun intended) in whith Sharpe, Horwill and Simmons.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
....Once again the Deans talent for obfuscation comes to the fore....

This isn't just obfuscation, this is a complete reversal. All rugby media interpreted RD's first comments on the JO'C issue as 'he won't be 12 in this year's Wallabies'. Now it's 'he will be 12 possibly, probably, but he'll be subbed as he won't play 80'. Good consistency here. And a btw: why is it so that a Gits - of broadly similar build/weight etc to JO'C - can manage to play at 12 for Aus for all of 80, but 'JO'C's physically not ready for 80 at 12'.

One day I will crack the unique code that is RD, but it clearly won't happen this month.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That was how the media interpreted it, RH, but that wasn't originally what he said at all. I think RD was happy to have a bit of confusion about it and was being deliberately coy about it when journos queried him further.

In the words of the Hives

[video=youtube;MCQ7VLoY7bQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCQ7VLoY7bQ[/video]

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think the critical point that needs to be addressed when considering the no.12 is the nature of the defensive line at the breakdown.

Statistics show that there are around 110 to 120 breakdowns per S15 game, so up to 120 times per game there is a defensive line of as many as 15 players across the field. As this is the major game scenario all players need to excel in this situation. The no.12 will find himself being marked by huge forwards, or, when his own forwards don't commit to the breakdown, he will be playing wide and close to the side lines .

So if a no.12 is to take on the defense in these situations he needs to be big, strong and durable enough to bend or break the shoulder to shoulder massive forwards, and he also needs to be fast and strong enough to beat his opposing no.12 with direct runs at his inside or outside shoulder, thus maintaing valuable space for his 13, 14, 11, and 15. This is not a job description for a smallish player.

A no.12 must run straight all game. Running at big forwards and opponents shoulders' at speed is a thankless task and you will get smashed. The game intensity of the world cup will make it even tougher.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
That was how the media interpreted it, RH, but that wasn't originally what he said at all. I think RD was happy to have a bit of confusion about it and was being deliberately coy about it when journos queried him further.

Jnor: one of the aspects of 'the Robbie code' that I particularly enjoy is that, despite the obfuscation, uniquely unclear assessments and stated directions for the team, etc, there is always, always someone out there that considers his most obscure declamations as pearls of (subtly hidden) wisdom, or that it is the media that have not understood the carefully displayed insights being issued. In this case of 'my strategy for JO'C', I am delighted to see your conclusion that his communication tactic was one of 'deliberate confusion and coyness'.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder if some of those who assume that because someone is paid a truck load they must be worth it have ever woken with a start in the middle of the night and pondered the possibility that "He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy who's winging it!"

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well I just typed out a long and considered response to you RH which got deleted as I tried to post it. So simply, what he said was not what we and some of the media construed it as and he would likely have not been worried at all to have seen that happen.

Again, this is what he said:
"He is going to fill out a lot more, his key position passion is midfield... I don't think he's ready physically yet to front up for 80 minutes routinely in that position, but he's a good bloke to have on your side, he can make things happen."

Nowhere does it say JOC (James O'Connor) wasn't going to play 12 in the RWC, this year, or tomorrow. He may not have decided exactly how it's going to pan out yet and why does he have to reveal the intricacies of his selection policy to all and sundry? I don't support all Deans' decisions but I'm sticking by my original conlcusion in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.