• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Vikings crazy strong again in lower grades/Colts -

2nds - 33-15 to Vikings
3rds - 73-0 to Vikings
4ths - 52-0 to Vikings

Colts - 36-7 to Vikings

Then have the BYE next week - then Easts - could be another long weekend of Easts in acouple of weeks.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You dont have to front up - just means you cant play until you do - dont know what would happen if he ended up playing for some country town - I guess if he ever tried to reg it would come up in the system - not that he will ever play again though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was he a coach or manager or some sort of team or club official when he allegedly abused the referee?

I would assume that he would not be able to perform in any such capacity at any club/team in the Rugby world until the suspension order was lifted.

Seems strange that he has let it drag on for so long. More interesting (and newsworthy/gossipworthy) given that he is an ex Wallaby and therefore a "Role Model".

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
He played lower grades up until then and I believe was over 50 years of age

He was known for speaking his mind to match officials.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So until he fronts judiciary, his name will continue on the suspended list. Brilliant.

In terms of standardised guidance for Illegal and/or Foul Play and Misconduct, IRB Regulation 17 applies, and is used by nearly all judiciaries to assist to determine sanctions for citings.

(extract)

Judiciary Entry Point Based on Scale of Seriousness of the Player’s conduct, which constitutes the offending.

Law No.6.A.5, 10.4(k) Verbal Abuse of Match Officials,
Lower End 6 weeks, Mid Range 12 weeks, Top End 18+weeks, Maximum Sanction 52 weeks

Law No.6.A.5, 10.4(k) Physical Abuse of Match Officials
Lower End 24 weeks, Mid Range 48 weeks, Top End 96+ weeks, Maximum Sanction Life

Law No.6.A.5, 10.4(k) Threatening Actions or Words at Match Officials
Lower End 12 weeks, Mid Range 24 weeks, Top End 48+ weeks, Maximum Sanction 260 weeks

Depending on what kind of abuse he has been charged with, being suspended for about 70 weeks (and increasing with each week as time goes on), would cover most situations of guilt.

Why didn't the judiciary simply try him in absentia, and assign a maximum sentence and clear him off the "outstanding judiciary" list.

It is fairly obvious that the person has no intention of fronting judiciary. What kind of officious and petty bureaucrat is running the show in Brumbies judiciary? Former public servant perhaps?

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
ACTRU Rules of Competition
Part 3. Sect.49 sub sect.2 A player who is the subject of a matter before the judiciary must be present at the meeting for the hearing of the matter.

Hughie I am not a learned type so WTF would I know , but ,it seems like the law was written with the presumption that the person who is to appear before the judiciary is wanting to have a chance to defend themselves. So I suppose the law cannot be reviewed/adjusted/amended until all outstanding matters have been dealt with.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
It occurred in a 3rd grade grand final. Geoff, at the age of 53 I think, was playing his last game & anyone who knows his judiciary record & relationship with officials over a 35 year senior rugby career would not be the slightest bit surprised he decided to give one final spray as he walked off into the sunset. Do you seriously expect a 53 year old who has no intention of playing again to front up to a judiciary hearing for referee abuse?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The intriguing thing is why they keep it on the Judiciary Record as outstanding after so long, probably longer a Top End guilty sentence that would have been had GD fronted to the judiciary and pleaded guilty. In keeping the suspension ongoing, GD is probably wearing this as a Badge of Honour, and it is yet another FU from him to the games authority figures.

I understand all the rules, procedures and policies written, but for every rule, procedure and policy there is always an exception that can be applied. Provided it is done transparently and accountably I see no problem with that.

The Didier Clause. If a party declines to attend judiciary to pursuant to Part 3. Sect.49 sub sect.2, then that party will be deeemed to have entered a guilty plea to the alleged offence and the IRB recommended Top End sanction will be applied to that party in absentia, unless there are extenuating circumstances dictating that the IRB recommended Maximum Sanction will apply.

<comment about reinforcing the negative stereotype of Canberra public servants avoided>.

I've said my bit, had my fun, and will now move on from this little sidetrack to bring the discussion back to the comment on current JID competition issues.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
It occurred in a 3rd grade grand final. Geoff, at the age of 53 I think, was playing his last game & anyone who knows his judiciary record & relationship with officials over a 35 year senior rugby career would not be the slightest bit surprised he decided to give one final spray as he walked off into the sunset. Do you seriously expect a 53 year old who has no intention of playing again to front up to a judiciary hearing for referee abuse?
I thought he might like to round of with a spray at the judiciary. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Todays results:

Royals 29 def Eagles 20

I don't have final scores for the games below:
Wests beat Queanbeyan (last score 22-10 Wests)
Uni Norths beat Easts (Last score 31-16 Uni-Norths)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I echo @Brumby Jack here.
ANY speculation or crap about this incident will be deleted.
No tolerance.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I went to Taylor Park to see the Whites play Wests but arrived after the incident had occurred. A couple of blokes were talking about what happened but I didn't realise how serious it was until reading the Canberra Times this morning.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wests seem to be finding some form in 1st grade - Qbn struggling this year - at the moment anyway - have they had a heap of changes from past years?

No real surprises in the other games - Eagles were looking good earlier in the year but seem to be dropping abit of form...not sure if players are out at the moment or what.

Vikings had the bye and take on Easts this weekend at Viking Park - Long day for Easts in all grades??

Status
Not open for further replies.