• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Easts on the other hand were on the field and were TOTALLY blasted by their coach F*** this, F*** that - it was pretty disgusting really considering they played pretty decent footy in the 1st 40 mins (besides the scrum) - I don't believe it is motivational for a coach to act like this - I don't think it inspirers players to come out and step it up in the 2nd half. The coaches actions throughout the game were pretty poor to be honest and if that's the culture at the club then its easy to see why they are in the position they are in.

What sort of an address would you consider motivational/appropriate in the circumstances, based on your wealth of experience as a senior player?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What sort of an address would you consider motivational/appropriate in the circumstances, based on your wealth of experience as a senior player?

A smattering of the F bomb and C bomb can shake players out of their lethargy as long as you don't employ them every week

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
A smattering of the F bomb and C bomb can shake players out of their lethargy as long as you don't employ them every week

I think it's fair to say that approach didn't work particularly well for them on Saturday. I'm with No 8 in terms of it being a bad look. Drag them in the shed, shut the door and go for your life, but don't embarrass your players, your club and yourself by carrying on like that on the field. Can't imagine you would be thrilled if you took the kids or your mother to the game!

That said, I had the misfortune to have Adam Fayhe sit near me at Vikings Park a year or so ago and that was a painful experience. He carried on like a goose over everything he expected from the refs and every error. I used to have a soft spot for the whites before then but now I always smile thinking of him when I hear of a whites loss.

It isn't like JID crowds are so big that it's impossible to find a quiet corner to coach from if you have Craig Bellamy passion.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

If you have a team that is already lacking confidence I think the last thing you want to do is totally blast them when really they were not doing that badly in the 1st half - point out the things they need to improve on and basically advise them to build on what they did in the first half.

I totally get that sometimes a side should get blasted by a coach - but considering the situation Easts are in I don't think it's the best approach - might be totally wrong - but Easts don't seem to really be getting any better and Ross has now been there for a number of seasons. . .

My approach may not be right - just my point of view considering the whole Easts situation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think it's fair to say that approach didn't work particularly well for them on Saturday. I'm with No 8 in terms of it being a bad look. Drag them in the shed, shut the door and go for your life, but don't embarrass your players, your club and yourself by carrying on like that on the field. Can't imagine you would be thrilled if you took the kids or your mother to the game!

That said, I had the misfortune to have Adam Fayhe sit near me at Vikings Park a year or so ago and that was a painful experience. He carried on like a goose over everything he expected from the refs and every error. I used to have a soft spot for the whites before then but now I always smile thinking of him when I hear of a whites loss.

It isn't like JID crowds are so big that it's impossible to find a quiet corner to coach from if you have Craig Bellamy passion.

it doesn't sound like it was a smattering

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Righto, my fearless predictions for JID this round;

It would take a brave man to pick against the Royals and that aint me. I dont believe the Eagles will be as meek as the Vikings were in that 1st 40 last week. Possibly also, Royals wont be as psyched up for this one. Still, Royals by 30.

How will Easts bounce back? No idea but hope they find some spirit somewhere. Uni by 30-35.

Have considered that this may be a good week for the improving Wests side to get up over the Vikings who would have lost some of their mojo. Of course, the Vikes are just as likely to come out in their angry mode and rack up 60. I'll go for the middle ground approach therefore...a tight game for 60 minutes and then the Vikings to skip away Vikings by 15-20.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'd be interested in hearing views on this story:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...rugby-championship-round-20170516-gw5nnu.html

I suggest the Vikings group are being a bit naive if it believes that the ACT rugby community will unite behind the NRC team on the strength of being thrown a bone in the form of a heritage round.

Won't have my support.

I do agree that the heritage round is tokenistic and alot more could be done to unite the ACT rugby community. However, I dont have as long a history in JID as yourself and others Istanbul. I try not to buy into the politics of it all and just want to see Rugby thrive. I will get along to watch as much as I can.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Righto, my fearless predictions for JID this round;

It would take a brave man to pick against the Royals and that aint me. I dont believe the Eagles will be as meek as the Vikings were in that 1st 40 last week. Possibly also, Royals wont be as psyched up for this one. Still, Royals by 30.

How will Easts bounce back? No idea but hope they find some spirit somewhere. Uni by 30-35.

Have considered that this may be a good week for the improving Wests side to get up over the Vikings who would have lost some of their mojo. Of course, the Vikes are just as likely to come out in their angry mode and rack up 60. I'll go for the middle ground approach therefore.a tight game for 60 minutes and then the Vikings to skip away Vikings by 15-20.

If you apply the logic that Tuggies will bounce back hard after being stung last weekend might it also suggest Royals could be complacent? I tipped Royals by 20+ last week but I'm more conservative this week. Royals lose Sione from the front row and Muirhead at 15 to the Brumbies and I imagine Cusack will be out owing to his blue card. Royals depth will be tested but I have them winning by 12.

I fear for Easts and am not sure how you recover from having 90's and 100's run up against you. I'd expect Unis to run up 60-70 points and win by at least 50.

Tuggies v Wests will be very interesting and nothing would surprise me. Tuggies in a close one.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dug up from microfiche

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 12.49.04 pm.png

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Went down to the Vikings V Wests game today - nothing much to report really - Vikings were consistent, structured - most of their points came against the run of play - which I don't know if concerning or not. No real standout's for Vikings - the new 10 played well - Fred - Ah Wong played ok at 13 but I can see why the Brumbies didn't take him to South Africa and can now agree with some of the statements made on here about him looking abit lazy/uninterested - maybe he is over playing in Canberra?

Wests were good - their forward pack was great - if they had a bit more strike power in the backs they would be a really dangers side.

For me 'Man of the Match' was Kaino - the number 8 from Wests (Jerome Kaino's younger brother) - he is a gun - he will have to be in the mix come NRC time.

Vikings were missing Sione and Henry in the front row but if there was anything I could pick up on was the Scrum was a big weakness for the Vikings today and also the lineout - both may be sorted once Sione and Henry are back though.

All in all a solid game of footy.

Looks like Easts stepped up a gear or Uni decided not to show up? Anyone watch this game?

Standard 2017 Royals - racking up the points - their for and against must be great at the moment.

After this round I don't think the ladder will really change at all.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Royals won comfortably although Eagles did get close around half time before they ran away with it. Staniforth got a yellow card that allowed the Eagles to close the gap.

The Royals mauling technique was better than the Eagles and got them out of trouble a few times.

Pedro Rolando's kicking was superb today - don't think he missed one.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Went down to the Vikings V Wests game today - nothing much to report really - Vikings were consistent, structured - most of their points came against the run of play - which I don't know if concerning or not. No real standout's for Vikings - the new 10 played well - Fred - Ah Wong played ok at 13 but I can see why the Brumbies didn't take him to South Africa and can now agree with some of the statements made on here about him looking abit lazy/uninterested - maybe he is over playing in Canberra?

Wests were good - their forward pack was great - if they had a bit more strike power in the backs they would be a really dangers side.

For me 'Man of the Match' was Kaino - the number 8 from Wests (Jerome Kaino's younger brother) - he is a gun - he will have to be in the mix come NRC time.

Vikings were missing Sione and Henry in the front row but if there was anything I could pick up on was the Scrum was a big weakness for the Vikings today and also the lineout - both may be sorted once Sione and Henry are back though.

Looks like Easts stepped up a gear or Uni decided not to show up? Anyone watch this game?

Standard 2017 Royals - racking up the points - their for and against must be great at the moment.

Was Kaino insanely good or is he not in the OJ Noa class yet?

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)

Agree with all re Vikings vs Wests. Scrum was very inconsistent from the Vikings they had periods where the scrum was solid (even forcing a tight head) but then periods where it was very ordinary (losing a couple of feeds). It was a shame as the Vikings scrum was pretty solid last week. Right hand side of Vikings scrum looked to be under a lot of pressure. I think Wagner and Thomas are going to be good players but you have to remember they're only 19 years old and wests probably have one of the best and more experienced front rows in the competition (at least in the 1 and 3 jumpers). I think once Taula and Henry come back it fixes the issues at the scrum and lineout. Taula, Henry and Mcgrath upfront is a fairly formidle front row.

Outside of that it was great to see Jake knight bag a double in his 100th first grade game. Dorro was good at 10 and the O.Hs seem to be starting to find some form.

Was good to see Giltrap get an opportunity but he made some questionable decisions throughout the game which lead to turnovers and probably cost the Vikings some points.

Was interesting to see Leber playing in the Centres. Could this be a directive from Aussie 7s?

Kaino was tireless and got through a tone of work. He just needs some help around him.

All in all though a great game of footy.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was Kaino insanely good or is he not in the OJ Noa class yet?

Hard to say mate - only really seen him play a couple of times - both were really solid performances. He stood out a lot more in the Vikings game and had some great runs, good workload etc. Played really well when I saw him V's Queanbeyan as well.

Oj has been a bit quiet this year compared to last but he has been injured for a chuck of the season - might be back this week, I don't know.

If I was to pick a No.8 out of those 2 for NRC purely based on this year and the games I've seen I'd take Kaino, just.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have been thinking about the perennial problem in Easts.

I had a thought bubble in that there should be a greater alignment with Eddies and maybe Marist.

Almost like an old scholars team. Rename them Easts Brothers and have a similar strip to Brothers in Brisbane.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Righto...continuing on with my terribly inaccurate JID tips;

Royals v Whites . Potentially a really good game depending on how close the Whites have come from their woeful start to the season.Are they near their best? Even if they are, I dont know if that will be good enough to stop a hot Blues side. Royals by 20.

Tuggers should be too good, especially at home. Vikings by 35.

Wests v Eagles will be a cracker and may give us a glimpse of who will make up the top 4 (assuming Royals, Vikings and whites ??? will be there). Ive flipped a coin... Wests by 3-5

Status
Not open for further replies.