• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JO'N proposes ANZAC vs LIONS after RWC2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Who would you pick for a current ANZAC team. Only Aussie I can think of making the XV would be Genia, I'd say the current AB's would have the edge for every other position over the current Wobs.

If its "current" then Hooper or Gill would make it above Cane, Latimer, Braid, Hardie, Todd.

Horwill and Whitelock with Retallic on the bench.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Plus even today Folau would probably be too good to leave out of a 22.

NZ has a lot of walking wounded backs currently.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
If its "current" then Hooper or Gill would make it above Cane, Latimer, Braid, Hardie, Todd.

Horwill and Whitelock with Retallic on the bench.

I mean current players - we'll count McCaw as a current player and he picks himself. Second row would be interesting, a lot of evenly matched contenders there.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Owen Franks
4. Sam Whitelock
5. James Horwill
6. Richie McCaw
7. David Pocock
8. Kieran Read
9. Will Genia
10. Dan Carter
11. Julian Savea
12. James O'Connor
13. Conrad Smith
14. Digby Ioane
15. Israel Dagg

How's that?

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm looking for my wallet so I can back them to win whatever game they'd play. There's a bit of talent around.

Makes me wish that O'Connor would play a bit of 12 for the Rebels, but that's another debate entirely.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sounds like another crazy JON brainfart to me, to start with who would coach it, Robbie? Equally pisses people off on both sides of the Tasman!!!

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
We've got to cheer for Bieber, Beale, Cooper. I mean come on, it's not exactly easy on our side either.

Genia will be ok, Stephen Moore palatable, but it wont' be as easy as the days of Mortlock, Sharpe & Smith.
Hadn't thought of Kiwis cheering Quade :)

Don't fear, Carter would be picked ahead of him.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Oh god, I love the idea but can you imagine the vitriol around selections.

I was actually thinking last night how awesome it would be to make a southern lions equivalent out of our Sanzar players. They could go up and play the NH nations once every 4 years, in the middle of the lions 4 year rotation.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oh god, I love the idea but can you imagine the vitriol around selections.

I was actually thinking last night how awesome it would be to make a southern lions equivalent out of our Sanzar players. They could go up and play the NH nations once every 4 years, in the middle of the lions 4 year rotation.

That would be a RWC year. Like hell should we risk injuring our best players in a RWC year, or let the bloody Darkness think that they are our mates. Not for all the Tea in China.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
How would it be run?

Would the ANZAC team spend the first half an hour on the field by themselves getting shot at whilst the Lions drink tea in the dressing room?

After that the match could start. :rolleyes:
After possibly going to the wrong field?

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Looks like Marto and TripleM took this idea and made a bit of headway. They've got Classic Anzacs v Lions Legends in Brisbane on the 21st of June. The Classic Wallabies will be playing the Lions Legends in Sydney and theyve advertised that Gregan and Larkham will be involved. If they can add players like Umaga and Cullen it would still be a pretty fun thing to see

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Who would you pick for a current ANZAC team. Only Aussie I can think of making the XV would be Genia, I'd say the current ABs would have the edge for every other position over the current Wobs.

Yeah? :confused: And Australian teams are, what, 8-4 up over Kiwi sides this year.

That would be a RWC year. Like hell should we risk injuring our best players in a RWC year, or let the bloody Darkness think that they are our mates. Not for all the tea in China.

BB, I must be one of those odd Aussies who always barrack for the men in black, apart from when they're playing us of course. We mustn't forget who our true friends in this world are, and we have no closer friend or ally than New Zealand. And for me it's personal: my great-uncle died at Gallipoli and and I'm named after him. Oh, and he was a Kiwi.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Now I'm just waiting for the follow up piece,where it is revealed that JON will be clipping the ticket on both gate receipts and broadcasting rights.
Could be a nice little earner for him,if slightly less than he is used to gouging out of the joint, for any possible value add that he might have contributed.

I can see it now, as the more precise logistics and organizational fine print emerges in 2015, buried on page 37, section 18(b)(i), 6 point font:

"John O'Neill Media Events Management Limited (registered in the Cayman Islands) will be paid (in advance) a game co-ordination and origination fee of $US990,000 for concept rights, media co-ordination and related logistical services. Mr O'Neill has kindly nominated this company as his favourite charity for 2015."

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I was actually thinking last night how awesome it would be to make a southern lions equivalent out of our Sanzar players. They could go up and play the NH nations once every 4 years, in the middle of the lions 4 year rotation

Could you imagine a Southern Hemisphere side playing lowly Scotland... it would be a blood bath. Kinda like that scene in Braveheart where they get fucked up.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Yeah? :confused: And Australian teams are, what, 8-4 up over Kiwi sides this year.

Picking on the best players from the two countries in each position, I can't think of any Aussies who would clearly be the best apart from Genia. In the forwards there are a few tight ones but I'd say most of the ABs would have the advantage for starting spots, S15 results don't really apply to picking individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.