• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jonah Lomu has Died....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Fox showed a documentary during the RWC by Jonah. A revelation and an inspirational story of a man who learnt some hard lessons through his life and came out a much better person.

A great pity he didn't make the goal he had stated in that feature of seeing his kids finish school. I am sure that the Rugby community will offer what support they can to the family when appropriate.

My abiding memory apart from the barnstorming running game is him remaining on the pitch after the 1999 RWC defeat to France and offering genuine congratulations and thanks to the French players. An outstanding role model.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Very sad, one of those few players (like Mohamed Ali) that was a legend not just in his chosen sport, but the transcended that and out into the wider community.

Jerry Collins, Hippy, Jonah, would like the selectors up there to just hold back a bit please!!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone once described Jonah as the first Polynesian superstar, not just in rugby but in anything. That may have been an exaggeration but IMO his greatest legacy will be that he inspired any number of PI kids to believe that they, too, could be as famous as Jonah.

I don't know what the Tongan equivalent of a mighty Totara having fallen in the forest is, but whatever it may be it's more than appropriate in describing what the rugby community has just witnessed.

Fox showed a documentary during the RWC by Jonah. A revelation and an inspirational story of a man who learnt some hard lessons through his life and came out a much better person.

Yeah, as soon as I head the news just about my first thought was "God I hope Foxtel re-screen that doco they showed during the Cup", it was pretty engaging stuff then, would be even more poignant now.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
His high school athletic records still stand.
6b4dba7b9f75cd00261d77a37d8fa42b.jpg

A good mate of mine (who I'm sure some of you may know) played a few tests for Italy and is one of the rare humans to have actually tackled Lomu. (Yes they did make one or two tackles in the 100 point loss) In the 99 World Cup. He said it was like trying to stop a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
Too young. If not for his condition he would still be with us and would maybe have been even more devastating on the field (if that's possible). Matfield just played a WC semi at 38.

As a kid I loved watching him destroy all in front of him. Watching some highlights a while back I was surprised how many guys he beat for pace on the outside. He had the most dismissive fend ever

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
just cant fuckin believe it. He's dead! Jonah Lomu is DEAD?
did anything else even fuckin happen today? did I even go to work?

so Jonah goes to UK to see NZ win the RWC - somethign he himself was so goddamn close to doing, right out of the gate in 95, as an exclamation mark to start his career - but then it was almost as if a vengeful god piped up and said "ok bud, I gave you All That Shit. The pace, the power etc. But there was a catch......."

Then, at 40 yrs old, he's there in the UK to see NZ hoist the trophy, and then the day after he arrives back in New Zealand, he dies.

the worlds gone to hell

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A wonderful rugby player, a skilful winger, a one-man demolition derby, and above all an inspiration to rugby players and supporters the world over. A quiet man who made a massive impact on everyone who met him or watched him. RIP.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
His high school athletic records still stand.
6b4dba7b9f75cd00261d77a37d8fa42b.jpg

A good mate of mine (who I'm sure some of you may know) played a few tests for Italy and is one of the rare humans to have actually tackled Lomu. (Yes they did make one or two tackles in the 100 point loss) In the 99 World Cup. He said it was like trying to stop a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a sneaking suspicion that Jonah was the entire 4 x 100 relay team.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
blindsider;

Yep blindsider, I always remember being with my son and him talking to a mate who had just been up to a North Island College 7s tournament , and him trying to explain how hard it was trying to tackle this kid Jonah Lomu, said it was like getting in the way of a rampaging elephant. It was a Waiopehu college team, and if I recall correctly Carlos Spencer was in that team.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jonah scored 37 Test tries. Here they are:

Thank you oldboy - great memories!
Loved the one where the commentator said "and its the youngster McCaw"!
37 tries at international level and not one ounce of disrespect shown to his opposition. He could run around fast wingers and steamroll good tacklers but I didn't see a single "up yours" to beaten opponents.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Kua hinga te totara i te wao nui a Tane
A large tree has fallen in the forest today.
Shamelessly stolen from a Kiwi mate of mine the most apt phrasing for the sorrow the passing of a legend and gentleman such as this that I have ever read.
Vale Jonah Lomu!

Status
Not open for further replies.