• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jonathan Kaplan retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Thing is, he has actually been in pretty good form for the last 12 months. Especially after he announced his retirement, it seems a weight had been lifted and he has been going well.

What, the weight of worrying what a few one eyed Aussies on a sports forum think of him?

Kaplan has been at the leading edge of refereeing for years. His retirement is a massive loss to [quote = Phil Gould] our game [/quote].

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
GGR-ref-waratah-stats2.png

last updated March 2010

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

last updated March 2010

I've held off commenting in the thread up till now as my feeling is one of relief rather than basking in the glow of a referee retiring after a great career. Yes he had some great games but very few of them involved the Waratahs.

For me its just nice to know that when the Tahs games are listed we have at least a 50-50 chance of winning.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
What, the weight of worrying what a few one eyed Aussies on a sports forum think of him?

No, with the selectors. Every referee falls into the trap of worrying about their performances, whilst they are running around, and how it looks to the match reviewers and selectors. Once you stop worrying about that you feel a lot more comfortable and referee better.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jeez the Aussie refs are handing games to the Tahs on a plate. :) Oh to have auld Stu Dicklimpson back. Aeyh, them were the days.

Must admit I will miss reading freds with Tah fans bitching about Kaplan. No fear, I am sure some new ref will take up the mantle.

Can't say I am overly sad about Kaplan hanging up the whistle though.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thing is, he has actually been in pretty good form for the last 12 months. Especially after he announced his retirement, it seems a weight had been lifted and he has been going well.

Nice guy, very intense when he is getting ready for a game but enjoys a joke etc away from it.

What weight?

You mean the weight of Tah fans calling him out? Yeah, that must really have bothered him. :rolleyes:

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Jeez the Aussie refs are handing games to the Tahs on a plate. :) Oh to have auld Stu Dicklimpson back. Aeyh, them were the days.

Must admit I will miss reading freds with Tah fans bitching about Kaplan. No fear, I am sure some new ref will take up the mantle.

Can't say I am overly sad about Kaplan hanging up the whistle though.
I don't think SANZAR would be so inept, to allow this to happen again.
Have a giggle all you like, but the facts are the Tahs had a winning percentage of close enough to 65% ex Kaplan,and a win rate of less than 10% under Kaplan.
I would literally fear for the safety of any ref that had those stats in Pretoria.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With a reasonable sample size, a substantial variance from the norm (in either direction) under any referee is a cause for concern.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
For Kaplan to ref a Tahs game back in the day when he was the top ref running around then most of those games would have been against NZ teams as there were neutral refs in those days. It would be good to look at the Tahs stats against NZ teams in those days (games with and without Kaplan). That might be a reason why the results are skewed.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
For Kaplan to ref a Tahs game back in the day when he was the top ref running around then most of those games would have been against NZ teams as there were neutral refs in those days. It would be good to look at the Tahs stats against NZ teams in those days (games with and without Kaplan). That might be a reason why the results are skewed.
If that was the case you'd expect Jonker and Lawrence to have similar stats.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And how many of those games did Kaplan actually "cost" the Tahs?

BTW, Kaplan reffed the 96 - 19 mauling at the hands of the Crusaders. That one was definitely Kaplan's fault!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If that was the case you'd expect Jonker and Lawrence to have similar stats.

There's other refs missing from that table who the Tahs would likely to have had average stats under, Lyndon Bray was one ref I thought that the Tahs struggled under as well.

Don't forgot that until the mid-2000s the Tahs were a mid-table team, apart from 2002.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Kaplan mysef as I thought he could penalise teams who didn't talk / react to him the right way (especially captains), but overall I thought he was a good ref. One of the better ones, at least.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

last updated March 2010

All-time in Super Rugby the Waratahs are about the 4th best team, for the period to 2010 at any rate.

The data was looked at in 2010 to see if there was a "Kaplan Effect" on Watatahs games over full span of the competition 96-09. i.e. Tests for statistical significance on Waratahs games with and without Kaplan were done for:

(i) average points For - Against; and​
(ii) Matches Won (%).​
Figures-Kaplan-nsw.PNG

1. On analysis of the raw data for all Waratah games (see Fig.1, N = 168 games to 2010) there was:
(i) A nett points degradation of about 17 points on average with Kaplan compared to without, and​
(ii) A win percentage at 6.3% with Kaplan compared to 57.9% without.​
And respective Proportion test and T-test with alpha= 0.01 supports with 1% probability of error (actually much less than 1% error) the hypothesis of a relationship between Kaplan refereeing and the Waratahs losing.​

But to control for strength of schedule, an analysis limited only to matches between comparable teams can be done.

2. On analysis of comparable opposition, i.e. only matches where the Waratahs and their opposition finished the season within 1 win on the ladder (see Fig.2, N = 69 games to 2010) there was still:

(i) A nett points degradation of about 9 points on average with Kaplan compared to without, and​
(ii) A win percentage at 9.1% with Kaplan compared to 51.7% without.​
And respective Proportion test and T-test with alpha= 0.01 still supports with less than 1% probability of error the hypothesis of a relationship between Kaplan refereeing and the Waratahs losing.​

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
All-time in Super Rugby the Waratahs are about the 4th best team, for the period to 2010 at any rate.

snip........

(i) A nett points degradation of about 9 points on average with Kaplan compared to without, and​
(ii) A win percentage at 9.1% with Kaplan compared to 51.7% without.​
And respective Proportion test and T-test with alpha= 0.01 still supports with less than 1% probability of error the hypothesis of a relationship between Kaplan refereeing and the Waratahs losing.​
Can you do the racing form for tomorrow too please Kiap?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Can you do the racing form for tomorrow too please Kiap?
I wish. :( You need the good oil from some Eyes and Ears close to the action (if he is actually close to it). It's fun if you can get some "sugar"!

Used to be a punter but I figured enough not to rely on it much. Stats are useful but you need the right ones (and they're most dependable at showing what's already happened).

Status
Not open for further replies.