• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

June Internationals not involving Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So do I UTG, but actually not sure in that case ,now I have seen replay, the French 9 is pushing the ref before Smith even picks it up from the scrum!! Have a look when you get chance, quite interesting and don't know why the 9 did it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
So do I UTG, but actually not sure in that case ,now I have seen replay, the French 9 is pushing the ref before Smith even picks it up from the scrum!! Have a look when you get chance, quite interesting and don't know why the 9 did it.

Typical 9 always looking to get out of contact.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually that a good tactic, if you can't get to attacker just run into the ref!! As for medics etc the laws do cover them getting in the way, because there are only meant to be 30 players and the ref inside the field of play while the game is live!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Watching the replay and can confirm the he said ‘I just want to check if I stopped the player’.

KOB, did you watch in the replay how early the French 9 ran into the ref? I really thought he did it before Smith had even picked up ball at scrum. Just wondering is all, and wondered why he did it. And would add I don't know how to find it on the net, or I would check it again:(

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KOB, did you watch in the replay how early the French 9 ran into the ref? I really thought he did it before Smith had even picked up ball at scrum. Just wondering is all, and wondered why he did it. And would add I don't know how to find it on the net, or I would check it again:(

Yes on reflection he might have been trying to milk it a bit and maybe that's what the ref determined, but the point was that he said that he wanted to check to see if he 'stopped' the player and it's hard to argue that he didn't.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
I've always thought it's weird that there's no law about the ref obstructing defenders. It's hardly new, most halfbacks at top level are good at exploiting the ref's positioning as a way to put the defence in two minds.

It's a bit rough at times, but on the other hand the ref has to go somewhere and it's also worth noting that if the French HB hadn't been in an offside position, he'd not have run into the ref. He's required to either stay by the scrum or retire 5m until the ball comes out and he was clearly making his way into no man's land before the ball was cleared.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)

He kind of follows the ref, but he's looking at Smith all the time and may not have even known. But he didn't actually run into him till the ball was (just) cleared. Here's how far he got with ball still in scrum.

tumblr_paswm1ABMH1sg3nzko1_540.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Meant to add, you can see the ABs are trying to play to the second line of their attack to avoid rush defence, and this seems to be changes that were talked about. Seems they not quite as keen to take ball to line before offloading as often, but using the players coming in behind from depth.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A halfback has to either stay beside the scrum or retire back with everyone else. They can't crab across like that before the ball is cleared (though they always do).

Fair enough - it's like the calling of a blocker in forming a maul then, or not immediately passing the ball back to the hindmost player in the maul - happens almost every maul, gets called once every few months. As you say, you see 9s in this position all the time. Like many Rugby laws, more honoured in the breach.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Fair enough - it's like the calling of a blocker in forming a maul then, or not immediately passing the ball back to the hindmost player in the maul - happens almost every maul, gets called once every few months. As you say, you see 9s in this position all the time. Like many Rugby laws, more honoured in the breach.

As it turned out, he'd probably have been better off hanging back near the scrum anyway - if he'd been there to pressure Smith immediately, he'd have had to pass earlier and DMac would have received the ball behind the advantage line & the rest of the defence would have had more time to adjust.

That said, it's a nonsense that the law doesn't provide for defenders being clearly disadvantaged by the ref.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Or alternatively the ref could - oh I don't know - step out of the way?

Yep but the ref is watching the ball , was he to step in someone else way? Just remember the 9 ran into him for some reason, the ref didn't move into his way.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Yep but the ref is watching the ball , was he to step in someone else way? Just remember the 9 ran into him for some reason, the ref didn't move into his way.

That’s crazy, the French just had no one marking our 5/8 who was standing at first receiver, which was why he had to join the defensive line. Was their 5/8 on the wrong side of the scrum marking no one?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ha ha. So he checks just to confirm he doesn't care if he did, and apparently cannot do anything about it if he did anyway.

That's the gravy stroke, you can see him holding his earpiece to his ear while he's watching the replay, I reckon someone radioed in (probably Ben Skeen from Sydney!) to tell him he was allowed to impede players as long as they didn't have the ball.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Actually that a good tactic, if you can't get to attacker just run into the ref!! As for medics etc the laws do cover them getting in the way, because there are only meant to be 30 players and the ref inside the field of play while the game is live!!
Please stop, my eyes can only roll so far into the back of my head before i tear off the optic nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.