• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Junior rugby based on weight classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
That's ridiculous. I don't understand why Australia doesn't introduce the same weight rules as NZ. Oh that's right, the show is run by the same people who got us into the current Super Rugby mess. Also, anyone in the public who argues against introducing these weight rules should consider themselves part of the problem that rugby union has in Australia. It's a no brainer - JUST DO IT!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That's just bullshit.

Would like a forensic examination of his Birth Certificate - kid was probably born in the year 2002.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
This is his older brother who is 10 :)

IMG_6832.JPG

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's ridiculous. I don't understand why Australia doesn't introduce the same weight rules as NZ. Oh that's right, the show is run by the same people who got us into the current Super Rugby mess. Also, anyone in the public who argues against introducing these weight rules should consider themselves part of the problem that rugby union has in Australia. It's a no brainer - JUST DO IT!!!!

Couldn't agree more. As a junior I was one of the bigger kids... Terrible for learning correct technique as you get away with muscling through contact, e.g. grabbing players rather than using the shoulder.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's just bullshit.

Would like a forensic examination of his Birth Certificate - kid was probably born in the year 2002.
Mate, they are just bigger and mature quicker.
I heard and embraced the urban myths about many of the islanders using their date of baptism as their birth date (sometimes years apart)

Then I saw babies become toddlers become over sized monsters by 8 or 9.

In 99% of cases!they are the correct age, but safety dictates they should play up a year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That's ridiculous. I don't understand why Australia doesn't introduce the same weight rules as NZ.

Because we simply don't have the numbers in a lot of areas to make this work.

Read the article - junior league is also having issues with numbers.

And, in part, its the whole size/safety factor BUT there are also people who just aren't committed to paying their way.

Speaking to the junior league team who play on a field next to ours, they had to get rid of whole sections of their club who didn't want to pay money. Their entire club is happier because of it, because everyone knows they're on an equal footing.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Because we simply don't have the numbers in a lot of areas to make this work.

Read the article - junior league is also having issues with numbers.

And, in part, its the whole size/safety factor BUT there are also people who just aren't committed to paying their way.

Speaking to the junior league team who play on a field next to ours, they had to get rid of whole sections of their club who didn't want to pay money. Their entire club is happier because of it, because everyone knows they're on an equal footing.
You and people with that view are part of the problem with rugby this country.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm confused how Pfitzy's post had anything to do with junior rugby being done via weight classes.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'm still yet to see anyone lay down how this is going to work? Besides the "nz do it so we can", how do you people that support weight classes envision this working?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm still yet to see anyone lay down how this is going to work? Besides the "nz do it so we can", how do you people that support weight classes envision this working?

I think it is fairly simple. You make all junior rugby up to a certain age based on weight classes (I think in NZ that once you get past under 13s it is open slather).

You have weight bands for each age group and if you are above that weight band at the start of the season when registration takes place you play up a year, and if you are below a certain weight you can play down a year.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The challenge is most kids play sport to be with their friends. It's about fun.
The kids start off in u6s and some of them grow quicker than others. If you move based on weight rather than age you start to split up friends. If that's the reason you're playing it soon loses its fun.
My boys play junior club rugby because their class mates do. One son switched clubs to play with them. My daughters play for other clubs because that's where their friends play.
Often the smaller kids are the better players (fearless tacklers).

It's not a simple process in my view.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
The challenge is most kids play sport to be with their friends. It's about fun.
The kids start off in u6s and some of them grow quicker than others. If you move based on weight rather than age you start to split up friends. If that's the reason you're playing it soon loses its fun.
My boys play junior club rugby because their class mates do. One son switched clubs to play with them. My daughters play for other clubs because that's where their friends play.
Often the smaller kids are the better players (fearless tacklers).

It's not a simple process in my view.

We already have that prob over here and I assume in NSW?
Here we have lost juniors bc they could not play with their school mates.
This is bc the school class group goes from Jul 1 -Jun 30, where as the rugby is divided as to what age you are at Jan 1.
I don't think the size issue is too much of a problem except for the odd extreme example.
Though I still think there should be an option to hold back or put up kids for varying reasons, size, ability etc

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe the stating point is to have a lower weight set for each age group and if the child is lighter than that they have the option to play down an age.

I think most people won't want to play down an age because they will want to stay with their friends but if the option is there it can't be a bad thing.

I find it pretty challenging from an ethical perspective to force big kids to play up an age group.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe the stating point is to have a lower weight set for each age group and if the child is lighter than that they have the option to play down an age.

I think most people won't want to play down an age because they will want to stay with their friends but if the option is there it can't be a bad thing.

I find it pretty challenging from an ethical perspective to force big kids to play up an age group.
This bit about kids wanting to play with their friends is a bit of a furphy.
There are 2 age groups in every year at School.
This argument is seldom raised at cricket or nippers.

There nothing unethical about making a huge kid play up a year.
No one is suggesting that huge 7 yo should be thrown up against 16yo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.