• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There is some talk he can still cop an asada ban for supply as a a result of these admissions. I doubt that'll actually happen, but it's probably the only way this infringement can still lead to a break in his contract.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
There is some talk he can still cop an asada ban for supply as a a result of these admissions. I doubt that'll actually happen, but it's probably the only way this infringement can still lead to a break in his contract.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Amazing circumstances. You do a piss test and they find something you are gone for 2 years. Admit to the police you have done it and get nothing.

T

Train Without a Station

Hunt. The gift that keeps on giving.

He was absolutely an astute recruitment at the time no doubt.

But the Reds handling of this since the drugs charge has been very poor and they are reaping what they sew there. They took the soft approach only thinking of results on the field. It has come back to bite them further and the results suffered anyway.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair, they followed the ARU drugs policy to a tee (and probably under heavy pressure from RUPA to do so).

That's not to say they couldn't have done more but which organisation has handled things like this well?

I look forward to an ASADA investigation and ban sometime in 2019 subsequently overturned on appeal

T

TOCC

I don't have a problem with players doing cocaine in the offseason, but if they do then they must be prepared to reap what they sow. I don't think it should be illegal but it is, thus if you are going to do it then you need to be prepared for the consequences. This stands for all parties involved, including those players that Karmichael named. You don't blame someone else for getting yourself caught for doing an illegal activity.

That's my 2 cents, legality aside I don't see much difference between recreational cocaine user and someone who drinks socially.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't hold any strong ill will towards Hunt over the matter. But I'm disappointed the Reds did not take a strong stand over the matter, irrespective of the player's name and say, "we hold higher standards here". Clearly they don't though due to the performance and dysfunction with in the organisation.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Ohh Karmichael...You can take the boy out of the mungo, but you can't take the mungo out of the boy. Ie mungoball has a disgusting culture, on par with with the AFLs culture.

T

Train Without a Station

Yes. Is it significantly worse than rugby though? Hard to accurately say. Rugby has 1/3 the teams and players. So if rugby is only exposed 1/3 the time compared to the NRL, we're only just on par.

That's before you consider the lower exposure for rugby players, so they probably get away with more also.

Australian rugby has been pretty good in relation to violent crimes and domestic assault compared to NRL and AFL. These are rarities. And most assault cases seem to involve only Kurtley.

But I wouldn't go jumping on our high horse just yet. From my infrequent association with Super Rugby players and people involved in Super Rugby teams I know rugby players aren't completely squeaky clean either.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Yes. It is significantly worse than rugby, no doubt about it.

It's not really close at all, they've had numerous domestic violence incidents, molesting dogs and shitting in hotel corridors. Plus, stupid things like the Todd carney fountain lol and a whole lot of other incindents which would take a year to list. So yeah..the NRL has a pretty shit culture.

T

Train Without a Station

Did you even read my whole post or respond to the first line?

Rugby has now had two cocaine incidents, players molesting quokkas on rotnest island, players assaulting team mates and assaulting members of the public in night clubs.

Between the NRL and the Under 20's there's something like 720 players contracted compared to about 175 rugby players. Of course they will have more incidents. There's significantly more of them. Then you have to consider that due to reach, NRL players are more recognizable. So they are more likely to be spotted during any indiscretions. 95% of Melbourne's population wouldn't recognize any Rebels players walking down the street.

If you think rugby players are walking around with halos above their heads, you are sadly mistaken.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
@TOCC - regardless of your position on decriminalisation the use of such drugs is a serious impediment to high performance.

There was an excellent series narated by the late Robin Williams called your body on Drugs that quite accurately represented the long and short term impacts of drug use, including Cannabis, Cocaine, Heroin, Amphetamines. It should be compulsory viewing in schools IMO.

My point is that Coke use is incompatible with high performance in the sporting arena. This bloke signed a very large contract for an unproven Rugby player at Super level, whilst he had not been professional in his preparations and behaviour. IMO criminality itself is not compatible with a high performance contract simply because it brings the game into disrepute, the performance impeding aspects is just the icing on the cake.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
@TOCC - regardless of your position on decriminalisation the use of such drugs is a serious impediment to high performance.

There was an excellent series narated by the late Robin Williams called your body on Drugs that quite accurately represented the long and short term impacts of drug use, including Cannabis, Cocaine, Heroin, Amphetamines. It should be compulsory viewing in schools IMO.

My point is that Coke use is incompatible with high performance in the sporting arena. This bloke signed a very large contract for an unproven Rugby player at Super level, whilst he had not been professional in his preparations and behaviour. IMO criminality itself is not compatible with a high performance contract simply because it brings the game into disrepute, the performance impeding aspects is just the icing on the cake.

It is also an ethics question, if you do something you know is not allowed by law, what else in your life are you willing to do that does not comply? If you are willing to do something you know is illegal then you deserve a penalty

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It is also an ethics question, if you do something you know is not allowed by law, what else in your life are you willing to do that does not comply? If you are willing to do something you know is illegal then you deserve a penalty

Why should a willingness to act outside the law affect sports selection?

Plenty of us willingly break the law, when there's no chance of detection and prosecution. Maybe all of us do.

Maybe our high-performance athletes should be selcted from outside that group.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hunt. The gift that keeps on giving.

He was absolutely an astute recruitment at the time no doubt.

But the Reds handling of this since the drugs charge has been very poor and they are reaping what they sew there. They took the soft approach only thinking of results on the field. It has come back to bite them further and the results suffered anyway.

I don't agree - I think the Reds and ARU have handled this appropriately.

Professional sports have to also look at drug use as a welfare issue - ie and Hunt has shown genuine remorse over his actions, and undertaking counselling and paid the penalty for his actions. It is not a good look for rugby if they just say not my problem and not look at rehabiliting a player as they have a wider responsibility to assist players with substance abuse problems (noting first offence issues - repeat offences means yep out the door).

The further admissions that have come out was part of the deal with AFP for him to escape further crimminal charges.

Any slip up from Hunt from here - yes out he goes...but for rugby to just immediately can a player on drug use issue prior to them joining them would not be a good look....

T

Train Without a Station

Rugbynutter how can you say a slap on the wrist for admitting to using a substance, which is tested positive for he would be banned 2 years, is appropriate?

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Typically forthright contribution on the whole KH thing from the mighty Peter Fitz:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...nt-to-play-alongside-him-20150703-gi4geb.html

Gotta say I tend to agree with him.

This is certainly interesting ground for a guy who plays a team sport.

I'm not passing judgement on Karmichael or such with this statement, but he has come out and defended himself as not being a 'snitch' or a 'rat' etc. If there was a textbook for criminals, K would be the case study in those things. Gave up others to reduce his own punishment.

Not judging anything as don't know the full picture, but this is a story that gets worse almost daily. Was in the middle of a binge while appearing for reds promo events and training with Bris City last year, now on TV defending himself as not being a snitch etc while wearing Reds and Wallabies gear.

We know the ARU have some pretty low standards, but at what point does the image of the game get impacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.