• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree. Isn't this how the system is supposed to work? Shouldn't he be applauded for being honest with the police and helping them with their enquiries??

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree. Isn't this how the system is supposed to work? Shouldn't he be applauded for being honest with the police and helping them with their enquiries??
That's all well and fine if you agree with what he did , but does he deserve to be associated with good clean athletes that are and have been drug free, does he deserve to have his name on the same team sheet as QC (Quade Cooper) , Will G, Horwill and all the others that have brought respect to the QLD gernsey. A $30k fine and 6 weeks for what he has done is not enough . KHUNT would have spent more than that on drugs over his supposed 6 plus year habit. If this is the standard the rugby code has now set , what message are we giving to young footballers now.

T

TOCC

That's all well and fine if you agree with what he did , but does he deserve to be associated with good clean athletes that are and have been drug free, does he deserve to have his name on the same team sheet as QC (Quade Cooper) , Will G, Horwill and all the others that have brought respect to the QLD gernsey. A $30k fine and 6 weeks for what he has done is not enough . KHUNT would have spent more than that on drugs over his supposed 6 plus year habit. If this is the standard the rugby code has now set , what message are we giving to young footballers now.

Barbarian wasn't really arguing whether Quade should be in the code, he was saying that cooperating with police is something which shouldn't be criticised.

Interesting that you mention QC (Quade Cooper), he was charged with burglary back in 2009, yet was offered a second chance in the code. Is breaking into a property and stealing worse then someone who uses recreational drugs in the off-season?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What message?

That players are employees and have rights based on an agreement between their various employers and their players' association.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barbarian wasn't really arguing whether Quade should be in the code, he was saying that cooperating with police is something which shouldn't be criticised.

Interesting that you mention QC (Quade Cooper), he was charged with burglary back in 2009, yet was offered a second chance in the code. Is breaking into a property and stealing worse then someone who uses recreational drugs in the off-season?
Who said I was arguing with his decision. That is your read not mine. I was discussing the QRU not KHUNT decision. And yes QC (Quade Cooper) did his crime, incidentally where did that end up? Still address the issue , does the fine meet the expectation of the community and the rugby players FOR this time. and yes brave heart , don't tell me that the QRU didn't have the RIGHT to toughen the lesson than what KHUNT received. But you obviously think thats acceptable with the rest of the QRU board. Little wonder the state is In the mess its in.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Call me old-fashioned but unless the 12 other guys made him take the drugs then he should just man up, admit to what he did & take the consequences. I fully understand why he's not doing that, but that doesn't make it right.

image.jpg

T

TOCC

Who said I was arguing with his decision. That is your read not mine. I was discussing the QRU not KHUNT decision. And yes QC (Quade Cooper) did his crime, incidentally where did that end up? Still address the issue , does the fine meet the expectation of the community and the rugby players FOR this time. and yes brave heart , don't tell me that the QRU didn't have the RIGHT to toughen the lesson than what KHUNT received. But you obviously think thats acceptable with the rest of the QRU board. Little wonder the state is In the mess its in.

I think you need to read over what people have said, your taking comments and conversations out of context. As for you questions, I'm sure I've answered them previously in this forum.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Be more careful when stating something as serious as this - that was never tested in open court nor proven - as though now an established fact.

T

TOCC

Be more careful when stating something as serious as this - that was never tested in open court nor proven - as though now an established fact.

I was careful, my only statement was that Quade was charged with burglary, which is a fact.

we digress though..

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think you need to read over what people have said, your taking comments and conversations out of context. As for you questions, I'm sure I've answered them previously in this forum.
Sorry TOCC. What was it that you mentioned previously , save me scrolling back.! also think you have misunderstood me. Happy for barbarians comments That wasn't my issue! And obviously you just may have some of the QC (Quade Cooper) issues that you brought up ,a little bit off the mark and the subject , as REDShappy has identified.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree that co-operating with police is a good thing. I can only assume none of us here are criminals facing jail time, or never had, so it's hard to fathom the mind of those who have.

My issue was Hunt said he was hurt by claims that he was a rat and gave up others for his own self-interest (which is the exact definition of a rat), then he says he had to give up others or he would go to jail. He couldn't be more of a "rat" if he tried.

Just own it. It's this whole philosophy of these players that they don't have any consequences or own any of their actions. This wasn't Hunt's first rodeo.

It's always interesting that Quade quickly comes up as part of these convos as opposed to someone like Cliffy Palu, who has had multiple court appearances, fines and even served time.

Ironically, a major reason that Nathan Brown signed Palu at the Dragons was the fact that he ate the charge and didn't roll on his mates.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Palu is supposedly a legend in his local community because he was staunch.

Whether one agrees with that or not !!!!!!!!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
When you plead guilty,there is nothing to test,nor prove.
For the 100th time,he accepted his guilt and elected to have the matter dealt with under the justice mediation system in Qld.
KHunt couldn't do the same,as his was a 'victimless' crime.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/legal-me...ting-disputes-out-of-court/justice-mediation/

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Funny really. When is any crime "victimless" ??????

The victim's are always either individuals, company entities, governments or society in general

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
When you plead guilty,there is nothing to test,nor prove.
For the 100th time,he accepted his guilt and elected to have the matter dealt with under the justice mediation system in Qld.
KHunt couldn't do the same,as his was a 'victimless' crime.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/legal-me...ting-disputes-out-of-court/justice-mediation/

I really F^%$% hate this characterisation. Tell his parents, his wife and children that it is "victimless". I grew up with drug users in my extended family and there is no such thing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I really F^%$% hate this characterisation. Tell his parents, his wife and children that it is "victimless". I grew up with drug users in my extended family and there is no such thing.

mmmm disagree, there are plenty of social drug users in the wealthiest suburbs of Sydney who lead very responsible lives, who may have a snort or two. Like Hunt, their wealth makes it no worse or better than someone having a drink.

Cocaine is a ''luxury'' product in Australia, with users paying as much as four times for the drug as those in Britain, a global drug survey finds.
The survey, conducted in Australia this year in partnership with Fairfax Media, found that about 20 per cent of the 6600 Australian respondents had used cocaine in the past year, and 45 per cent had taken it in their lifetime.
The respondents were mostly from Sydney and Melbourne, and more than half had tertiary qualifications. About 65 per cent earned above-average incomes, with a quarter earning more than $100,000 a year.
Cocaine was the most popular choice for those trying a drug for the first time, and users paid about $300 a gram.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
mmmm disagree, there are plenty of social drug users in the wealthiest suburbs of Sydney who lead very responsible lives, who may have a snort or two. Like Hunt, their wealth makes it no worse or better than someone having a drink.

All psycoactive substances cause long term chemical changes in the brain and body. That includes cocaine.

Those changes will have great or lesser degrees of impact depending on the individual person's physiology, nutritional state, underlying psychiatric disorders and a myriad of other factors. Even for "functioning" users of substances there are consequences. It is a lottery pure and simple as to what the outcomes of use will be. It is also an area of intense research and more is being discovered about the system consequences and actions of drugs/medications that have been in use for very long times, even in controlled medical situations. I look at it on a risk management matrix and such "recreational" use falls in the upper levels of risk/outcomes.

For every individual who escapes serious long term effects there are plenty who don't. Do we allow people to speed on the roads because some people can do it "safely" at no risk to themselves?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I look at it on a risk management matrix and such "recreational" use falls in the upper levels of risk/outcomes.

For every individual who escapes serious long term effects there are plenty who don't. Do we allow people to speed on the roads because some people can do it "safely" at no risk to themselves?

this I have an issue with, using this logic, alcohol, fatty fast foods, sugary drinks or fast cars would not be allowed "because some people can do it "safely" at no risk to themselves"

something

Jim Clark (26)
It's always interesting that Quade quickly comes up as part of these convos as opposed to someone like Cliffy Palu, who has had multiple court appearances, fines and even served time.

Ironically, a major reason that Nathan Brown signed Palu at the Dragons was the fact that he ate the charge and didn't roll on his mates.

what for? i know he was young. its not on wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.