• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Know any fit young women who want to go to the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Out of curiosity Dam0, where was this tournament? I have tried and failed to find any kind of teams for girls once they are older than about 8 or younger than 16..

Intermediate is a term for what we know in NSW as year 6 and 7. I think therefore that Dam0 may be from the Shakey Isles. Over there thay have a school called" Intermediate" between Primary School and High School. In NSW, compared to NZ we do an extra year in Primary School and High School, rather than two years in Intermediate School.

Yes, I am afraid that my refereeing skills have been in aid of preparing the next generation of All Black 7's (as they are now known) and Dainty Darkness (as they will never be known). I was merely illustrating the point that if Australia isn't getting its act together it may be left behind.

Actually its a bit more serious even than that. Last summer I reffed in a North Island Maori Womens 7s tournament and there were a couple of invited teams from China. Although the tournament was won by one of the Kiwi teams the Chinese girls did not disgrace themselves at all, and some of their general ball handling, tackling and breakdown skills were impressive. They might be dark horses for 2020.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Browns Plains, in West Logan, run a Primary Schools 7's comp each year. Currently it is proper 7's for boys and touch for girls. Hopefully as time goes on the girls will play tackle 7's too.

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
Pillaging the LFL ranks is a great idea actually.
Yes, coz from what I've heard it's not being that well run and the first actual games have been postponed for another 6 months. Some of the girls they've attracted may realize they actually enjoy contact sport, not just the image of the LFL.

(If I sound a bit bitter, I've read too many (American) girls who've tried out for the LFL because 'this is the only way for girls to play contact sport! so we just have to put up with being in our undies!' When you point out that's blatantly not true, there are full uniform gridiron and rugby teams available in America, they don't tend to have a response. If you add 'professional' it becomes true, but for paltry amounts of money.)

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
(If I sound a bit bitter, I've read too many (American) girls who've tried out for the LFL because 'this is the only way for girls to play contact sport! so we just have to put up with being in our undies!' When you point out that's blatantly not true, there are full uniform gridiron and rugby teams available in America, they don't tend to have a response. If you add 'professional' it becomes true, but for paltry amounts of money.)

These girls you speak of must be Amish. You'd have to live a pretty sheltered existence not to know women's Rugby or women's proper grid iron is available in the US. USA won the WRWC in the first year it was held & have been involved ever since.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
rugby isnt professional in america is it though? LFL gets shown on espn and is all professional, that is a pretty big draw cardand im sure playing in little clohing is a small sacrifice for most of these girls (in their minds) to play n a pro setup and get paid well

cg26

Stan Wickham (3)
These girls you speak of must be Amish. You'd have to live a pretty sheltered existence not to know women's Rugby or women's proper grid iron is available in the US. USA won the WRWC in the first year it was held & have been involved ever since.

It's hard for us, as involved people, to understand how invisible it can be. People just don't see what they aren't looking for or don't want to see.

rugby isnt professional in america is it though? LFL gets shown on espn and is all professional, that is a pretty big draw cardand im sure playing in little clohing is a small sacrifice for most of these girls (in their minds) to play n a pro setup and get paid well
No doubt, but in reality the money is small and the pro setup is often quite poor, with issues around medical insurance and treatment of players. (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog...layers-quit-comments-show-leag?urn=cfl-wp1621 and other articles).

Meanwhile in rugby: http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/874-eight-usa-women-to-go-pro.html

smithcentral

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes, I am afraid that my refereeing skills have been in aid of preparing the next generation of All Black 7's (as they are now known) and Dainty Darkness (as they will never be known). I was merely illustrating the point that if Australia isn't getting its act together it may be left behind.

Actually its a bit more serious even than that. Last summer I reffed in a North Island Maori Womens 7s tournament and there were a couple of invited teams from China. Although the tournament was won by one of the Kiwi teams the Chinese girls did not disgrace themselves at all, and some of their general ball handling, tackling and breakdown skills were impressive. They might be dark horses for 2020.

smithcentral

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks fellows. My girl is right in that age group initially mentioned by Dam0. Will have to keep my ear to the ground for opportunities.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)

The RFU operate a similar process where athletic prowess and abilty are sought above actual Rugby experience, especially
applicable to 7s I reckon.
(this has been posted elsewhere btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.