• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley in Trouble Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
No real surprises sadly. Did anyone actually think a five week break would cure anything? It is classic behaviour for an alcoholic to re-offend when his stuff ups just get covered up. Nobody has acted in Kurtley's best interests here. They will spin you a pile of bullshit that they are looking out for him but in reality he is just a commodity to them and no use if he isn't playing. I read that he has been stood down so essentially they just keep polishing the turd. Somebody has to have the interests of the man rather than the rugby player at heart. Simply sack him and let him hit rock bottom. Only then will his real issues be realised. In the greater scheme of things it will not be the end but rather the beginning. The beginning of the rest of his life and he is young enough to rebuild his sporting career afterwards.
He has to take ownership of his problem but the problem with an addict is they don't comprehend what they are doing till they actually feel they have lost something.

It think that is one of the worse takes on the matter I have come across - fundamentally wrong in so many many ways...

It is fundamentally wrong to suggest that no-one is acting in his interests - Firstly, you simply don't know that, and secondly, I am damned sure that his Club has been working with him to get the best advice and support they can... There are alot of good people in Rugby - real, solid type of people - and I see absolutely no evidence to suggest ANYONE is treating him as a commodity... Your phrase "...simply no use if he is not playing" seems to speak volumes of your own attitude to the issue...

Secondly, no-one I know has said that 5 weeks would cure a single thing... If you are working in a Bank, or on a Garbage Truck, a return to work after a weekend bender, or a bad display at the office party does not signal a Cure - it signals a return to work.

Finally, a stroll thru the role call of Australian Sportsmen - both Aboriginal and Non-Aboriginal who have been simply 'cut-off' by their sports community when they hit trouble is a harrowing journey through alcoholism, sometimes poverty, homelessness and downward spiral. The stories are there to be learnt - in Rugby League, in Cricket, Union, Boxing and I am sure, AFL...

Yes the answer lies with him, and yes he has to recognise and take ownership of his actions (this latest incident suggest he has not yet done so) - but to advocate casting him aside, as some dramatic sign of 'tough love' or whatever nonsense it supposedly relates to) is simply rubbish. As is the idea that the actions of a Club in not 'indulging' or 'enabling' his behaviour, are the same as 'punishing' him...

For you to criticise the actions of those within the Club as essentially being unfeeling Exploitation, and then to advocate Sacking Him so that the has even less support structure around him is both ingenuine, and distasteful...

We might also do well to remember that while on one hand, this all may be an indicator of potentially serious problems for KB (Kurtley Beale) over his long-term future, it may also come down to something as simple as common-or-garden-variety Immaturity. We don't know.

And that is really the crux - We don't know.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, I have actually addressed the root of the issue in my posts. I disagree, as some are positing here, that he is a helpless victim and has no control over his actions in a substantial way. I have known alcoholics, and people who are damned unpleasant when they're drunk, and they are not the same thing. I was not trivialising his problem at all - both need help and support to get past it.

Just what I consider an important factual item btw to supplement your point above Cyclo: according to multiple reports, this latest KB (Kurtley Beale) transgression was not solely regarding alcohol. Additionally, KB (Kurtley Beale) 'didn't wake up in time' and knowingly missed a pre-booked appointment with the counsellor that was retained as a part of an agreed program to assist him. Alcoholic or not, KB (Kurtley Beale) surely understands the importance of these types of commitments and what they solemnly mean to his employers. Not fronting for such an appointment likely has little to do with alcohol, but has much to do with properly respecting other people and the generous support of his employers over what they deem a very serious requirement on KB (Kurtley Beale)'s part after he committed assaults upon his teammates.

That seemingly he could not bother or have the willpower to make such an important scheduled appointment may in fact be far more concerning and illustrative of his real attitudinal problems than having a few VBs at a Storm game.

For data re this aspect of the matter, see W Smith's first paragraph here:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...eaking-booze-ban/story-e6frg7o6-1226638250105

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
By the way... Has it ever actually emerged what really went on between Lote Turquiri and John O'Neil... that started out as a stoush about discipline issues, and ended with Oneil having to put his hand DEEPLY into ARU Pockets... I always wondered what really went on there...

T

TOCC

Well, I have actually addressed the root of the issue in my posts. I disagree, as some are positing here, that he is a helpless victim and has no control over his actions in a substantial way. I have known alcoholics, and people who are damned unpleasant when they're drunk, and they are not the same thing. I was not trivialising his problem at all - both need help and support to get past it.

Sorry I must have misinterpreted your comment, I thought you were suggesting that potentially he was just a bad drunk and thus was in control of his choice to drink...

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Still.. It still seems odd that the ARU would have to pay out his contract - and plus-plus from what I heard.

Nothing is impossible i guess

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
This is a shame, but not particularly surprising. Beale is going through a difficult time in his life and he clearly finds some comfort in alcohol. Problems with substance abuse are hard to overcome and the journey is not without its hurdles.

This incident needs to be considered in the context of Beale's personal battles, which are clearly very serious. In that respect, its minor and I think the clubs response is fair.

It is a shame for his team mates, but im sure if you asked them, theyd all be very supportive of him....

except maybe Vuna :D

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
As one who has suffered depression it is unbelievable to read the majority (99%) of the comments on this thread.

What a bunch of deluded wankers. And I mean that most sincerely.

ANYONE that uses the word 'alcoholic' get a grip. If you cannot differentiate between cause and effect then you are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are.

Unless you have suffered depression you are either guessing or moralising, either way you cannot possibly conceive what is going on in KC's mind.

The degree of addiction - to alcohol, drugs etc etc - is in direct proportion to your level of despair. And your level of despair (lack of self esteem) has got nothing to do with the alcohol or drugs.

CAUSE - major trauma in your life (usually childhood abuse - physical, mental, sexual)
EFFECT - the need to run away from the pain and shame and self doubt manifested in using drugs and alcohol and anything else to dull these feelings

As a child I grew up with the expression "it takes one to know one" and believe me in this case it is true. KC's problems are not going to go away overnight, and his need for a drink will not diminish until he has faced the true reasons for his current actions. And that my friends could take years.

So please get off your high horses and take a good hard look at yourselves, because at the moment you are just goddamn embarrassing.

D

daz

Methinks this thread is getting close to running its course.

Very little to be gained here except a bit of to-ing and fro-ing and a downhill run. Shall we lock the gate?

D

daz

Sorry I must have misinterpreted your comment, I thought you were suggesting that potentially he was just a bad drunk and thus was in control of his choice to drink.

And who says he isn't? Is he a certified and confirmed alcoholic?

I can't recall any such condition being confirmed.

He really could just be a bloke who likes getting on the turps and being a dickhead. Maybe he acts all remorseful (when he is caught) but deep down knows that he is a required player and can get away with constant shit like this.

Is this a possible scenario?

Not everyone who acts like a fucktard after a few ales is an alcoholic. Fuck, otherwise 50% of the male adult population between 18-25 actually have a medical excuse for binge drinking and mooning a cop. Wish I had known!

Reactions: BPC
D

daz

As one who has suffered depression it is unbelievable to read the majority (99%) of the comments on this thread.

What a bunch of deluded wankers. And I mean that most sincerely.

Ok, deep breath now. Relax.

We will get off our high horses if you do the same. Deal?

Not every post here is a direct attack on you, in fact none of them are, so no personal attacks please.

Status
Not open for further replies.