• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Bang average in an average side? Same with literally every single player in the Wallabies lineup this year (except Bell/Tupou/Skelton).
how can you compare his form in the NRL to the form of the Wallabies? I’m not sure it’s a worthwhile comparison. If we’re going to make a play for leaguies, surely we want to be after those playing good footy.
Clearly he was hampered by his personal issues from the start of the season. It seems he’s yesterdays man at the chooks with the rise of Wong and May. I’m not sure if we’ve signed a player on the up.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
This is the silly thing about rugby atm that every league player is straight in the wallabies? Sua'ali'i won’t make the roosters backline next year but is apparently the next immortal in rugby?
He will
But … If true, Thats more due to the fact he signed with rugby and therefore instantly “overrated” in the league world. He’s being punished

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t a ex-GPS schoolboy win the dally M last night ? …

but league never poaches …. No, never …

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
He will
But … If true, Thats more due to the fact he signed with rugby and therefore instantly “overrated” in the league world. He’s being punished
No more the fact roosters done consider them being up to their $700k pay packets and happy to let them go early
And no they are not in form this year critchon coming off a very average season

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
No more the fact roosters done consider them being up to their $700k pay packets and happy to let them go early
And no they are not in form this year critchon coming off a very average season
Rooster were furious with Joesph leaving … it sent the league world into a meltdown early this year … they had the biggest cry about it …
Now he’s suddenly “overrated” … people have short memories, last year he was their golden child.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Rooster were furious with Joesph leaving … it sent the league world into a meltdown early this year … they had the biggest cry about it …
Now he’s suddenly “overrated” … people have short memories, last year he was their golden child.
I actually buy the Sua'ali'i hype. The transition is easiest in the outside backs. But in the game's current state, the price point is too high.

Crichton is a different prospect. I worry about how his skills will transfer over to 12. That being said, if it does go through, I'm happy that he's not landing at the Tahs. I'd rather him be under Cron's tutelage.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Bang average in an average side? Same with literally every single player in the Wallabies lineup this year (except Bell/Tupou/Skelton).
how can you compare his form in the NRL to the form of the Wallabies? I’m not sure it’s a worthwhile comparison. If we’re going to make a play for leaguies, surely we want to be after those playing good footy.
Clearly he was hampered by his personal issues from the start of the season. It seems he’s yesterdays man at the chooks with the rise of Wong and May. I’m not sure if we’ve signed a player on the up.
I'm not comparing his form to the wallabies. I'm comparing how when you have two under performing sides, more players are going to look average due to the whole teams performance.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I actually buy the Sua'ali'i hype. The transition is easiest in the outside backs. But in the game's current state, the price point is too high.

Crichton is a different prospect. I worry about how his skills will transfer over to 12. That being said, if it does go through, I'm happy that he's not landing at the Tahs. I'd rather him be under Cron's tutelage.
I'd prefer to see him outside Noah (to give him a dish option) and inside Lenny.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
$1.6 million for Angus is tone deaf and a lose-lose scenario for RA.

Had the Wallabies done well, people would ask why don’t we reward those players who performed. Given how abysmally they’ve performed, it’s clear that a couple of NRL converts like Angus isn’t the solution, rather a systematic overhaul of rugby in this country is needed

GPSlads

Chris McKivat (8)
$1.6 million for Angus is tone deaf and a lose-lose scenario for Rugby Australia.

Had the Wallabies done well, people would ask why don’t we reward those players who performed. Given how abysmally they’ve performed, it’s clear that a couple of NRL converts like Angus isn’t the solution, rather a systematic overhaul of rugby in this country is needed
Agreed but that’s long term

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
$1.6 million for Angus is tone deaf and a lose-lose scenario for Rugby Australia.
Once again, its not 1.6 million, its 800k a year. That sounds far more reasonable, so the press don't run with that headline.
A couple of NRL converts like Angus isn’t the solution, rather a systematic overhaul of rugby in this country is needed
I struggle to understand how the two are mutually exclusive, and in fact there's a good argument they might be tied together. If we poured all the limited funds we have into developing junior pathways now, we wouldn't bear the fruits of it till after the Lions and the World Cup. And if we don't perform at those, having great development pathways won't matter because no kids will want to play the game.

The reality of the complete mess we are in is we need to do both. And the strategy is to maximise performance over the next four years to extract as much coin from the World Cup and Lions Series as we possibly can. Angus is an excellent player. He played for NSW when he was 22. I understand it is hard to find a positive spin on anything Aus Rugby related atm. But there are plenty of reasons to suggest this is good news.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Sounds like Gus critchon offered more around $500k with rugby Aus worried about his mental health and poor 2023 form.
This could go either way at 27 has spent a decade out of rugby, big difference between his best and worse and had not improved since his Rabbitohs days, have been a little inconsistent every year for the chooks never playing a full Origen Series
If he gets back to his best he can certainly be a big asset but will be a wait and see
Happy to see Gus back but let’s see his form for the western force before we make assumptions around a wallabies 12 jersey - and if he plays well and deserves it well done

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Once again, its not 1.6 million, its 800k a year. That sounds far more reasonable, so the press don't run with that headline.

I struggle to understand how the two are mutually exclusive, and in fact there's a good argument they might be tied together. If we poured all the limited funds we have into developing junior pathways now, we wouldn't bear the fruits of it till after the Lions and the World Cup. And if we don't perform at those, having great development pathways won't matter because no kids will want to play the game.

The reality of the complete mess we are in is we need to do both. And the strategy is to maximise performance over the next four years to extract as much coin from the World Cup and Lions Series as we possibly can. Angus is an excellent player. He played for NSW when he was 22. I understand it is hard to find a positive spin on anything Aus Rugby related atm. But there are plenty of reasons to suggest this is good news.
Does anyone know how many of the current wallabies are on $800k a year out of interest. Feel for some of the team who have stuck strong to the game

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Can agree in part but also the team is ass and may not deserve that money.

Some will get the shits but others will want the teams to have the best players available. Feel threatened, beat them for the jersey.