• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Once again, its not 1.6 million, its 800k a year. That sounds far more reasonable, so the press don't run with that headline.

I struggle to understand how the two are mutually exclusive, and in fact there's a good argument they might be tied together. If we poured all the limited funds we have into developing junior pathways now, we wouldn't bear the fruits of it till after the Lions and the World Cup. And if we don't perform at those, having great development pathways won't matter because no kids will want to play the game.

The reality of the complete mess we are in is we need to do both. And the strategy is to maximise performance over the next four years to extract as much coin from the World Cup and Lions Series as we possibly can. Angus is an excellent player. He played for NSW when he was 22. I understand it is hard to find a positive spin on anything Aus Rugby related atm. But there are plenty of reasons to suggest this is good news.

The Wallabies have become a total diversion of rational funding when the code is in survival mode. Sharp decisions should have been made back when we were closer to the top five, wherein you would hope we would not have dropped out the top 10 through the rebuild. At this point kicking the can down the road with more top-down idiocy is not just an irreverent waste but fails any values-based policy when the code is in jeopardy.

It is time for the Wallabies to take a break on our funding priorities. Commercial opportunity lies within the the RWC and the BIL either way. A target needs to be simply getting out of the pool, but this must be achieved without unaffordable sugar hits. It is irrational to suggest that we can afford to "do both".

Even if this were not true, right now media coverage chasing league targets is simply offensive to many in the actual grass roots. There is no game without that foundation.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Wallabies have become a total diversion of rational funding when the code is in survival mode. Sharp decisions should have been made back when we were closer to the top five, wherein you would hope we would not have dropped out the top 10 through the rebuild. At this point kicking the can down the road with more top-down idiocy is not just an irreverent waste but fails any values-based policy when the code is in jeopardy.

It is time for the Wallabies to take a break on our funding priorities. Commercial opportunity lies within the the RWC and the BIL either way. A target needs to be simply getting out of the pool, but this must be achieved without unaffordable sugar hits. It is irrational to suggest that we can afford to "do both".

Even if this were not true, right now media coverage chasing league targets is simply offensive to many in the actual grass roots. There is no game without that foundation.
Look, I take your points. Regarding the media coverage and the way Sua'ali'i was marketed + the timing of Crichton, I agree it is offensive. And shows how out of touch McLennan in particular is. The point I'm making is that I think it is a coherent strategy to pursue a few top tier league talents whilst also making systematic changes at the same time. It does feel like a lot of money, but expressed as a % of the actual money we need to spend it is not a huge amount.

But:
1. That doesn't mean its the best strategy, and I am more than open to discussion about alternative routes.
2. Having a strategy is one thing, having the capacity to execute it is another. And I am in agreement with you and many others in that I don't have faith in Rugby AU to execute it properly.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Angus Crichton makes an incredible amount of sense if you can move past the price tag and the notion of whether it’s fair for our current roster of players.

Firstly, I want to touch on the case of his mental health. I have family members with schizophrenia and bipolar, and a few friends with bipolar as well. To be able to play a season of professional football after starting it in a psych ward is reflective of his immense mental strength, not of any supposed weakness. If people haven’t been exposed to these conditions, they often come across incredibly naive in the way they talk about them. Bipolar doesn’t discriminate and it is as tough as it gets. He’s bounced back with a commitment that is incredible, and it’s not like the condition emerged due to Angus being weak or broken. I dare say I haven’t seen any of our current centres show the same level of resilience or fortitude as Angus has shown in the last twelve months.

Secondly, people need to get comfortable with the fact that with Crichton and Suallii that were not buying players, but media space. There’s a reason that there were rumours about Payne Haas as well: all three players have dominated headlines in the last twelve months for reasons outside of their ability on the field. This is what McLennan wants: clicks and eyeballs.

The reality is that Crichton has already paid off a significant chunk of his first years salary with the headlines and digital real estate that the story has generated so far. His involvement in rugby will bring NRL fans to Super Rugby, if only to see how he performs. Personally, when RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) was playing for the Blues, I watched more of their games than I ever have prior to that. It’s an interesting narrative to follow, and Crichton undoubtedly captures more interest than we could ever rationally expect from Walton (Tahs) or Stewart (Force) etc to provide.

It’s a play for drumming up interest in the code ahead of the BILs and the home RWC. He won’t be the last NRL signing with this strategy in mind either.

Finally, he is a very talented player. He dominated in the GPS competition in Year 10 (and beyond), he’s represented NSW in Rugby League and he’s expressed an interest in rugby literally since signing with the Rabbitohs.

He will throw everything he has at his transition, and that’s more than can be said about many other NRL converts. If anyone questions his character and commitment, please reference the fact that he literally amputated one of his fingers in his early career to ensure his ability to take the field. I’m not sure how many of our Super Rugby crop would’ve run headfirst into the same decision.

I don’t necessarily expect him to dominate, but I hope he has all the success in the world. God knows we need it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The reality is that Crichton has already paid off a significant chunk of his first years salary with the headlines and digital real estate that the story has generated so far.
thats not the reality at all. No way in hell has Angus Crichton generated $800k(or even $500k) In positive publicity already.

If the intent was to capture headlines, they couldn’t have timed it any worse then NRL/AFL grand final week and following the RWC failure where the rugby media coverage is still focussed on the abysmal Wallabies effort.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
If the intent was to capture headlines, they couldn’t have timed it any worse then NRL/AFL grand final week and following the RWC failure where the rugby media coverage is still focussed on the abysmal Wallabies effort.
You're not entirely wrong but at the same time, a headline is a headline. I reckon we will see an influx of viewers for the wallabies test matches next year as people will likely be interested in how they go, even if they don't like the sport. Besides, everyone loves a good comeback story.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
You're not entirely wrong but at the same time, a headline is a headline. I reckon we will see an influx of viewers for the wallabies test matches next year as people will likely be interested in how they go, even if they don't like the sport. Besides, everyone loves a good comeback story.
Ahh the proper long game.
The under dog in their own world cup. A real Bradbury experience. Really pulling at the heartstrings of all Australians!

Maybe RA have outsmarted all of us.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think the timing might have had something to do with the fact he was on a plane to France to watch his friends play in the RWC (assuming Kellaway and Dempsey). Presumably he will discuss further with the powers that be while over there.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Agree he hasn’t been the same since. But, we had him at 12 in 2022. And he was almost unstoppable, and we didn’t win anything. And Angus isn’t as good as 2022 Kerevi.
The Rennie's team with Kerevi overperformanced was a more competitive team than this Eddie's version. They fought until the very end against France in Paris and lost by 1 point. That team whould have rechaed the quarter finals easily in this RWC

From that team I miss: Tupou, Ikitau, Mike Hooper, Hollaway, Neville, Foley, Skelton, Pete Samu

DevilDog

Banned
Fucking delusional

Do you ever go out to schools and talk to kids?

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Fucking delusional

Do you ever go out to schools and talk to kids?
Let me guess, you're going to unveil the secret that kids don't care about rugby union!! Please tell me more.

You've made about 5 comments about Sua'ali'i's signing yet most kids know his name over any current super rugby/wallaby player. Besides, the money for Sua'ali'i was private money. But continue on with your meth-induced rage as it's really going to help the forum out!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
But we were talking about Angus Chrichton, people act like he is a super star who has already paid for his first years salary himself in headlines. This and suggestion that we are going to see a massive influx off people to watch him is delusional, especially if is playing in WA where the NRL media is non-existent and doesn’t have the same existing NRL fan base.

I can respect and appreciate the marketing value that Sua'ali'i bring Sydney, but Angus in Perth is a different kettle of fish all together.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
$1.6 million for Angus is tone deaf and a lose-lose scenario for Rugby Australia.

Had the Wallabies done well, people would ask why don’t we reward those players who performed. Given how abysmally they’ve performed, it’s clear that a couple of NRL converts like Angus isn’t the solution, rather a systematic overhaul of rugby in this country is needed

Absolutely agree it’s a ridiculous contract for Crichton.

But in terms of getting some immediate success, doesn’t an influx of established footy players fix the situation enough in the short term to win some games?

A systematic overhaul is 100% needed, but it won’t yield results fast enough.

No use investing for 10 years time and future proofing our game if the viewership numbers can’t support a professional product in this country.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Absolutely agree it’s a ridiculous contract for Crichton.

But in terms of getting some immediate success, doesn’t an influx of established footy players fix the situation enough in the short term to win some games?

A systematic overhaul is 100% needed, but it won’t yield results fast enough.

No use investing for 10 years time and future proofing our game if the viewership numbers can’t support a professional product in this country.
Sure….but we’ve now been using this same excuse for 20 years now to justify recruiting big names over investing in actual pathways.

It’s a tone deaf move by RA given the current public sentiment; rugby fans are looking for a reason to support the game and find hope in its future, offering a contract to an NRL convert like Angus Crichton isn’t the news rugby fans in this country were looking for.

Reactions: dru

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sure….but we’ve now been using this same excuse for 20 years now to justify recruiting big names over investing in actual pathways.
We can do both. Given the lacklustre performance of some of our best players, who can really say that we don't need a transfusion of talent. If Crichton turns out to be a top notch 12, I for one will be very happy. No doubt Twiggy will, too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We can do both. Given the lacklustre performance of some of our best players, who can really say that we don't need a transfusion of talent. If Crichton turns out to be a top notch 12, I for one will be very happy.
‘Can do both’ and ‘will do both’ aren’t the same thing.

20 years of ‘not doing both’ is what got us to this position.