• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lessons from round 1 (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As a side note the first round saw 52 penalty goals (and a few droppies) versus 29 tries with only 2 bonus points for 4 tries. Hurricanes scored 9 penalty goals in their win!!
Interesting to see if this trend continues.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
It should be noted, for Bruce of course, that Carter missed the same number of tackles as Cooper did, according to those stats at least.

Do you deliberately post nonsense, Noddy, or just have difficulty reading or comprehending figures?

"According to those stats" Cooper attempted 5 tackles and missed 2. Carter attempted 11 and missed 1. Just to reinforce the point 2 is not the same as 1.

Let's have a look at the 8 Australian centres who played at the weekend and have a look at their number of tackles attempted, number missed and percentage missed:

Carter: 11 1 9.9%
Fainga'a: 9 3 33.3%
Beale: 8 3 37.5%
Tatupu: 8 2 25%
Turunui: 7 1 14.3%
Cross: 6 0 0.0%
Mortlock: 4 1 25.0%
Leilifano: 4 1 25.0%

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the stats I was looking at, the ones fp originally posted, had

Quade Cooper attempting 7 tackles making 5

&

Carter attempting 13 making 11.

7 - 5 = 2

&

13-11 = 2

2=2

Cooper and Carter missed the same number of tackles, according to those stats.

No nonsense spoken.

Noddy villified :angryfire:

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was fatprop's link that I went to, Noddy. They certainly must do some heavy revising of stats on that site.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Noddy said:
the stats I was looking at, the ones fp originally posted, had

Quade Cooper attempting 7 tackles making 5

&

Carter attempting 13 making 11.

7 - 5 = 2

&

13-11 = 2

2=2

Cooper and Carter missed the same number of tackles, according to those stats.

No nonsense spoken.

Noddy villified :angryfire:

cater did in both sets of stats make almost twice as many tackles to miss the same amount as coops meaning he is twice as good a defender.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So now we have established Carter can tackle can we at least agree that he crabbed accross the field , still can't pass, and still talks too much? :fishing

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
So now we have established Carter can tackle can we at least agree that he crabbed accross the field , still can't pass, and still talks too much? :fishing

Haven't we all agreed on those points already? I thought the only point of contention was his speed. :)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
QLD's defence were out-drifted by the Tahs' attack. That was partly responsible for Carter's poor form but once he got the ball he didn't straighten it. Same with Anesi. When you join the line bro, run fucking hard.

Hopefully he was just a bit nervous of injury and will be alright to carve up next week.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Bruce Ross said:
It was fatprop's link that I went to, Noddy. They certainly must do some heavy revising of stats on that site.

Bruce,

You put out an incredibly smart arsed post, which appears to be incorrect, and this is your effort at an apology?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotty said:
Bruce Ross said:

Bruce,

You put out an incredibly smart arsed post, which appears to be incorrect, and this is your effort at an apology?

"Appears to be incorrect". In exactly what way, Scotty? Have you bothered to visit the site fatprop directed us to to see whether I was wrong? I have gone back and checked and every number I used is still there.

Not one of the numbers Noddy quoted are there.

There was no "effort at an apology". I have nothing to apologise for.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Don't mind Scotty, Bruce. He is not troubled by accuracy and prone to use words like bullshit and smart-arse as a matter of course without thinking.

It's best to ignore him.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
Don't mind Scotty, Bruce. He is not troubled by accuracy and prone to use words like bullshit and smart-arse as a matter of course without thinking.

It's best to ignore him.

Scotty was a pedantic Northern Hemisphere referee in a past life.

B

BRIX

Hahaha. You geezers are cut throat!

Loving this forum. Good work boys

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Welcome BRIX, do your mates call you Baumé?

The "geezers" you refer to are two timid old tigers who give us young 'uns the benefit of their many years' experience watching rugby. They're OK.

B

BRIX

Look mate,

Pleasure being onboard with you lot. Hope that I may be able to share a little wisdom with one or two of you in the near future, if not that, then plenty of passion & ignorance is assured.

To all you purists out there, may you live long lives

633722770200626250.jpg

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Biffo said:
Haven't we all agreed on those points already? I thought the only point of contention was his speed. :)

Can we argue about this again please? I wish to contend!

Your Honour, I put forward my argument, one again, that T. Carter has very good top end speed but low acceleration. The antithesis of a M. Rogers, if you will.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ash said:
Biffo said:

Can we argue about this again please? I wish to contend!

Your Honour, I put forward my argument, one again, that T. Carter has very good top end speed but low acceleration. The antithesis of a M. Rogers, if you will.

:)

Scotty

David Codey (61)

It's best to ignore him.

But less prone to being stubborn, condescending and self righteous. We see a different side to Lee Grant when his views are questioned.

The only reason you see me as less 'accurate' than you, is that I am willing to alter my view when presented with different evidence. Where as you find it extremely difficult to concede any point what-so-ever.

You can't expect to contribute questionable material in a long and detailed way (as you have a few times in the last few weeks), and not get questioned on it. Then you clearly get very defensive when you are questioned.

Bruce said:

Do you deliberately post nonsense, Noddy, or just have difficulty reading or comprehending figures?

I just don't understand why the older (and mostly well respected) members of this forum insist on being so condescending to others.

I'm sure that other members of this forum will agree with me when I say that I have never seen Noddy post nonsense (unless in humour), nor inflammatory material, so I believe your response was completely unwarranted.

I'd also like to point out that fp's second link has Coopers stats at 7/1 and Carters at 10/2 for tackles made/missed.

Anyway, Lee, et al - I can see that my use of words such as smart-arse and bullshit is probably inflammatory, so I will refrain from their use, provided condescension in your posts is removed.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe I was a bit tough on Noddy, Scotty, but this thread illustrates well how people can be provoked into intemperate responses. So far in this one thread there have been fifteen separate posts which criticised Tom Carter; four negative posts for both Phil Waugh and Sosene Anesi; two for Berrick Barnes; and one each for Cam Jowitt, Will Caldwell, Luke Burgess and Kurtley Beale. And one criticising Morgan Turinui who marked Carter and had a memorably forgettable game.

I personally find such pack attacks offensive but I try to ignore them as a blemish in what is otherwise a very useful site.

But when Noddy went out of his way to try to provoke me into defending Carter and I found that the statistics that he cited were wrong it is not surprising that I responded forcefully. Noddy has since explained that when he posted the stats site showed different figures.

There is a fundamental dichotomy between those who want to use the site to discuss our sport analytically and those who are blatantly partisan and use it as a vehicle to put the slipper into players they don't like as well as anyone who attempts to argue against the mob view.

Different strokes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.