• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions V Rebels, 5 July @ Ellis Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Surprised Neville is on the bench - I thought he was better than most last week.

IMHO, this is one of the strangest (of a long line of strange) decisions this year. Pyle was benched the minute he announced he was leaving so, unless Neville has an injury, why start him now?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
nothing surprises me anymore about this teams selections

ps woody has been released from NRC duties to go and play with the Wellington Lions in the ITM

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It was obviously going to happen. Rising wouldn't take him because he'll not be here next year, and it's hard to see any other team willing to pick him up either.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

giphy.gif

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree Dumbledore...cant believe TT thinks Debreczni is a stronger option against the Lions than Woody!! Woody is being put in the naughty corner like Pyle for leaving the fold!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree Dumbledore.cant believe TT thinks Debreczni is a stronger option against the Lions than Woody!! Woody is being put in the naughty corner like Pyle for leaving the fold!

Woody was atrocious last week and looked completely disinterested.

I agree that Debreczeni wasn't good but I wouldn't have selected Woodward again either.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Woody was atrocious last week and looked completely disinterested.

I agree that Debreczeni wasn't good but I wouldn't have selected Woodward again either.
It was one of those times where you had to be at the ground to see how badly out of position he was and how poor his option taking was. Woodward wasn't good, but he was also having to do an obscene amount of work off the ball to cover. Telling that as soon as Debreczeni went off we started to look vaguely functional. He might be talented, and he might be a decent flyhalf, but he's miles off the pace for an acceptable Soup fullback at the moment.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i agree DD some of Woodies positional problems came from trying to cover Debreczenis cover. its a bit harsh to drop a bloke when you play him out of position and against a team full of running.

ps have we thought who might actually take the goal kicks (if we assume we get anywhere near enough to have a shot)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Jack's played at five-eighth his whole junior and senior rugby career, and that's where and why the Rebels chose him. Considering his size and kicking ability even I'd be tempted to try him out at fullback but maybe he's still finding his feet in the 15 jumper. He deserves to be cut some slack ATM.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jack's played at five-eighth his whole junior and senior rugby career, and that's where and why the Rebels chose him. Considering his size and kicking ability even I'd be tempted to try him out at fullback but maybe he's still finding his feet in the 15 jumper. He deserves to be cut some slack ATM.

i agree. i am not criticising him just the fact that the young bloke was selected out of position and as a result stuffed up two players. he has only played 5/8 previously at lower levels so to select him for his run on debut at fullback seems a bit of a hard ask imo.

T

Train Without a Station

That's not completely true swingpass. I've in fact seen him play fullback. Against uni specifically in the dewar shield. Not super rugby, but he has played there at lower levels.

T

Train Without a Station

But i agree with your comments about it affecting Woodward.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Depending on whether he or Hegarty stick with us in the NRC, He'll potentially get all 8 starts in the Fly Half Jersey, setting up a good platform for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.