• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions v Waratahs - Round 16, 30 May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Based on the cases for Latu and Skelton, and the citing of Horne, as well as the Lions hooker who got done for three weeks, its a simple question:

Should Fruean be cited?

I don't know.
But I sure won't be bitching about it for days on end if he is.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've promised myself I get today to bitch, and will cease tomorrow. I've already promised to stop over at the Fern, and despite goading, have done so.

If its only worth a yellow card to dump a player on his shoulder and/or head, using a one-armed, late, lifting throw tackle, past horizontal, because of "momentum", then we've put on the chainmail glove and given the concept of Player Safety a dry fisting, while telling it to eat the shit sandwich we threw up on not a few minutes before.

And I don't give a fuck which jumper you're wearing.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
a dry fisting, while telling it to eat the shit sandwich we threw up on not a few minutes before.
Well, this is a first.

Someone has managed to finally COMPLETELY stump my ENTIRE MS Paint Screenshotting Team.

They are just looking at me.

12angry.jpg

"No way, boss..... we've never seen anything like this."

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I've promised myself I get today to bitch, and will cease tomorrow. I've already promised to stop over at the Fern, and despite goading, have done so.

If its only worth a yellow card to dump a player on his shoulder and/or head, using a one-armed, late, lifting throw tackle, past horizontal, because of "momentum", then we've put on the chainmail glove and given the concept of Player Safety a dry fisting, while telling it to eat the shit sandwich we threw up on not a few minutes before.

OK folks in case you missed it it's probably worth having a look at the clip of Horne's tackle on the previous page and comparing it with this. Regardless of your jersey Pfitzy has a valid (unusually phrased!) point. Probably best to turn the volume down so you aren't influenced by the commentators.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Watching the game live, I thought Fruen would be cited and probably spend a week or two on the sideline. I also have no problem with Horne being cited for his tackle, and he just might get a bit of a rest.

The two tackles were somewhat different, in that Fruen's hit seemed to cause Milner-Skudder to elevate but when Fruen regained his feet he didn't really ensure that M-S was returned to ground safely, in fact he tended to drive M-S shoulder first into the ground.

Horne, on the other hand, actually lifted and turned the tackled player and then seemed just to drop him on his back. Different circumstances, but neither ensured the tackled player returned to ground safely. Therefore, I think they both should be cited and probably receive the same sanction.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think that's the point - if Latu, Skelton and Horne have all been cited, so should Fruean..Nehe clearly goes beyond the horizontal and lands on his head/shoulders. It may not have been intentional but neither were the others.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)

You - "Nah he's safe: no prominent All Blacks playing for the Lions."

You - "Neither does Fruean's on Nehe Milner-Skudder, but hey he's a Crusaders player so a yellow card is punishment enough."

:D:D:D

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know he got carded for a tackle but wow Horne is some defender, just watch him work and communicate in defence off the ball and then eventually make the hit. Brilliant. I don't think I've ever seen him miss a tackle.

How fucking shit was Folau? Easily the worst game I've ever seen him play, looked really disinterested and casual out there. Concerning.

I think Roach did well, was really mobile around the park and made a great pilfer. His size gets him shown up in the scrums a lot however.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know he got carded for a tackle but wow Horne is some defender, just watch him work and communicate in defence off the ball and then eventually make the hit. Brilliant. I don't think I've ever seen him miss a tackle.

How fucking shit was Folau? Easily the worst game I've ever seen him play, looked really disinterested and casual out there. Concerning.

I think Roach did well, was really mobile around the park and made a great pilfer. His size gets him shown up in the scrums a lot however.
Well, that and the fact that Chapman is no Skelton when it comes to holding a scrum.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
How did you think mumm went?
The bit i watched, he seemed the mumm of old, running pretty slowly into the opposition and they nearly held him up a couple of times.
Can't see why he was part of the team of the year?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
May 31, 2015

Rob Horne banned for three weeks
ROB HORNE BANNED FOR THREE WEEKS
Duty Judicial Officer: Adam Casselden
Player: Rob Horne
Team: Waratahs
Position: Winger
Date of Incident: 30 May 2015
Nature of Offence: Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 27th minute

SANZAR NEWS RELEASE

The SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden has accepted a guilty plea from Rob Horne of the Waratahs for contravening Law 10.4 (j) Lifting Tackle, after he was cited following a Super Rugby match at the weekend.

Horne has been suspended from all forms of the game for three weeks up to and including Saturday 20 June 2015.

The incident occurred in the 27th minute of the Super Rugby match between the Lions and Waratahs at Emirates Airlines Park in Johannesburg on 30 May 2015.

SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden assessed the case.

In his finding, Mr Casselden ruled the following:

"After initially reviewing the video footage, Citing Commissioner's report and other relevant materials, I heard submissions from the player and his representatives, including his counsel Mr Anthony Black SC, and obtained their views of the incident. I then proceeded by establishing that the player accepted a breach for the cited offence and then identified the various factors involved in the incident.

"I considered the incident had an entry point in the low end range which starts at a four-week suspension for lifting tackles. I then added two weeks as a deterrent to send a further message that this type of tackle cannot be tolerated in the game due to the risk it poses to players.

"Mitigating factors included the player admitting guilt for the offence and demonstrating remorse for his actions. This, among other factors, entitles the player to a 50 per cent reduction, which results in a three-week sanction.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A the pointy end of the season ...the appeal during the week for Will and Latu was a distraction no one needed ... taking Will across to SA in a sense condoned his actions . One can ponder if a more contrite Waratah's camp may have brought a more measured performance than we were to experience . We are not talking about Skelton ... we are talking about 4 leading players from the squad in the space of 2 games jeopardizing the renaissance of Tah's Rugby in its quest for the back to back title chase . The refs didn't lift the players .... and come to think of it the brain snap in the Rebels match cost them the game as well ....With the RWC looming how about amplifying the term "SMARTER" and maybe rope in some NH refs for the upcoming tests so the players/coaches/tacticians get a feel for their interpretations .

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The game is fucked. Can we separate from world Rugby or something?both tackles are fine and deserve nothing. Especially fruens. I think some ppl Who are in high places that love the game Are going to start complaining and get shit changed for the good

Status
Not open for further replies.