• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions vs Brumbies @ Ellispark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight has been in better, more consistent form this year IMO...........

Tomane has been patchy, but has far more tries to his name............

It would be interesting to see how many of the Brumbies' tries have been scored down the left hand side of the field this year.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Slim 293 said:
Speight has been in better, more consistent form this year IMO.....

Tomane has been patchy, but has far more tries to his name....

It would be interesting to see how many of the Brumbies' tries have been scored down the left hand side of the field this year.
Speight always is good, but Joe's had a big season. Too me it looks like Joe has got more ball though.. every team kick off too him has helped..

Sent from my D6503 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tomane's generally looked good in attack, but his defense has been suspect at times...........

He made Naiyaravoro look better than he actually is.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This is the lineout the Lions had that Lealiifano scored off the intercept.

Peyper is standing right in line with the 15m line and he said to the Lions when they questioned it that it gone beyond the 15m. It's close but the jumper jumped before the line and has gone backwards over the 15 in the air.

JP.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Much better attacking mind set by the Brumbies than has been evident in most of their games, exemplified by Moggy's willingness to run the ball back and to join the backline more often than previously this year.

Joe Tomane had a particularly strong game and will again be in contention for a test wing spot. Wasn't Henry pissed when he was replaced late in the game. Looked like he might have picked up a buttock cork just prior, but he was certainly playing strong in defense and pilfering as he always does (he really thinks he's a No 7 playing on the wing).

Ita Vaea and Scott Fardy were again very good. Scott must surely be a lock for the Wallabies' No 6 and Ita would be coming under scrutiny for the No 8 on present form. Jordan Smiler was again excellent when he came on. Pity to see him going o/s next year.

Scott Sio's return can't come soon enough, but to be fair the Lions' props were binding underneath their opposites and pulling the scrum down in the first half. Hopefully, Matt To'omua left the ground as a precaution and that his ankle injury hasn't been aggravated.

Now back in the running for a finals spot, but with the bye next week there is every chance they will be out of the 6 before the last three rounds.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Turner made 7 tackles and missed 1 while Tomane made 2 and missed 2. I'm not trying to diminish his effort or saying that it wasn't necessarily a team of the week performance, I just think it's a bit ridiculous to write off excellent performances from more than a third of the Australian wingers this week when there's clearly room for discussion.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BM - good point about Moggy joining the line..........

When he keeps ball in hand he's such a handy player in attack with his speed and good passing game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Even though Turner and naivalu both scored doubles and cfs had an excellent game?
He's not eligible for ours (yet) - only Wallaby eligible players this year. But he was good. Good to see some options at wing across the board. Exciting.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think it has to be said that Alexander has finally played himself out of any contention for a test position. He was totally dominated the the Lions. Not helped by Alalatoa being taught a lesson as well but his history of scrummaging issues and this performance along with better in form options should see him miss out. I know some will argue that he got the raw end of the calls in some cases, but that is just the sort of thing that will happen against the better test sides with him on the park. He is just far too inconsistent to be considered when there are other options.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Rory Arnold is a real find and I hope his development continues along the lines he has shown this year. It has been a long time since Australia could boast the sort of depth we are now developing in the pack.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Rory Arnold is a real find and I hope his development continues along the lines he has shown this year. It has been a long time since Australia could boast the sort of depth we are now developing in the pack.
Helps having 5 teams to test talent in..

On the game, spanked them.. Lilo's kicking is becoming an issue.. I think Mogg or White would be kicking them better ..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Arnold was apparently included in the Wallabies meet up following the Tahs match a few weeks ago..........

I think Coleman might be ahead of him right now, but give him a year..........

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
I thought Arnold and especially Ita were fantastic. Both are in the great tradition of champions the Brumbies have signed/brought back out of nowhere. Ita brings that South African style brutalness in close contact that makes a real difference. He is always crunching people close to the ruck.

I thought TK looked like more of his old self too, hitting is strides after injury hopefully so should be back to 100% after the bye. Man-Rea has been good off the bench too.

Gee Sio can't come back soon enough. His absense has turned a strength, the scrum, into a big weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.