• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions vs Reds Rd 6 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I really don't think you can claim that there was anything particularly wrong with the refereeing in the Sharks game. The two points of contention seem to be that Coetzee was allowed too much leeway at the breakdown which happens regularly (not in terms of Coetzee but in terms of a flanker, mostly from the home team getting away with more than they should) and the interaction between Jannie du Plessis and the referee which seems a total storm in a teacup.

I 100% agree that Berry had a shocker two weeks in a row and cost both the Blues and Reds the respective games but I really don't feel like this is an issue with South African referees overall.

It is an issue with Stuart Berry.

Lourens has been stood down from this weekends Blues match. If memory serves he reffed The Force v Chiefs game last weekend. You don't get stood down for one bad game. We'd have no refs left, everyone has an off day!

T

tranquility

Not sure how serious he has taken Berry's performance. Simply resting him rather than cutting him alltogether.

The performance was abysmal - does he think that Berry will magically get better in a few weeks time?

I think he was saved purely because of all the conjecture, ie not to be a sacrificial lamb. The fact is, that they do not by the sounds of things have enough refs to be sacking too many blokes. Berry is clearly being reprimanded, if he had been straight sacked I think it would have led to more "cheat" claims etc which would have intensified the whole drama. However, I suppose he made his own bed.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I really don't think you can claim that there was anything particularly wrong with the refereeing in the Sharks game. The two points of contention seem to be that Coetzee was allowed too much leeway at the breakdown which happens regularly (not in terms of Coetzee but in terms of a flanker, mostly from the home team getting away with more than they should) and the interaction between Jannie du Plessis and the referee which seems a total storm in a teacup.

I 100% agree that Berry had a shocker two weeks in a row and cost both the Blues and Reds the respective games but I really don't feel like this is an issue with South African referees overall.

It is an issue with Stuart Berry.

Braveheart, I'm not sure Berry 'cost' the Blues. The Blues were opened up by some pretty good attack by the Lions.

On the try, in my view it was Greeff that made the biggest error. Sure Berry made a poor judgement in his read of the incident, but he did the right thing by going upstairs. It was Greeff that should've said knock on so Berry could make the call based on the 2nd viewing. Other than that I thought Berry managed the game well and commented so during it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
So much for Berry being dropped for two weeks. He's running the line in the Bulls vs Chiefs game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They said he wouldn't be selected for any games until round 9 or 10.

Considering the appointments for rounds 7 & 8 had already been released and Berry wasn't the main referee in either week, it was a bit of a non announcement.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ash

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep fair enough. Prob more of a case of QLD media writing it up to sound more than it was.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
SANZAR made it clear he was stood down for a few weeks as ref, but as you said @Scoey, it was a bit of a non-announcement as he wasn't scheduled anyway.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting, it appears that the original press release has been modified to just say the other four have no scheduled main ref appointments.

Here's a link as to how it originally went:
http://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/super-rugby-referees-stood-down-by-sanzar/129608

Then follow the link and the story has been changed to say the other three have been stood down instead of dropped, and the other four mentioned simply have no games in the next two weeks.

Wonder why they changed the press release.

Status
Not open for further replies.