• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions vs Reds Rd 6 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tip

Big game for the Reds here. A win and you'd call it it a successful tour of SA. Without it and their chances of finishing top of the conference are dented severely.

Will ultimately come down to whether the Reds can score enough tries to negate Boshoff's boot.

Reds will be forced to make changes after the hot&humid Sharks game with Shatz reportedly losing 6 kilo's during the match. It's doubtful that other players faired any better.

As long as RG benches Toua and plays either Harris or Lachie Turner at fullback I'll be a happy man.

Personally, I'd be tempted to revert to Quade defending at Fullback and FTA or Taps coming in to replace Toua in the 15.

T

tranquility

Respectfully, I think playing either Turner or Harris at fullback is a step backwards. If Turner plays 15, and Toua 11 they are both playing out of position and this our backline will be weaker, despite maybe being "safer." If Harris plays 15, and Taps plays 12, Toua moves to the bench. This is a better option than the first, but it's a considerable move towards a conservative approach - which is not really our go.

Considering the size of our touring squad the only real changes could be Anae or Mcduling to the bench.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Will be disappointing if the Reds can't get the 4 points this week. I am so confident I will tip them to get 5.

Reactions: BDA

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Lions look a good side this year and will trouble plenty of sides. I expect them to trouble us as well but I am confident that we can beat them this weekend. A BP would be a great result. We showed against the sharks that we have 4 tries in us against good opposition as along as we execute well. Go well lads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wouldn't be that surprised if Ben Lucas got a shot on the bench this week. Covers a lot of positions and must be almost back to fitness.

This is a massive game for the Reds now. Must win it and Lions are no way the easybeats many expected them to be.

T

tranquility

We would be absolute fucking idiots to underestimate what is a quality Lions side. They may not have big names but shit they play like a tight unit and look to be bloody well coached.

Undoubtedly true. However if we are a team that wants to play for sheep-stations, it is a game that we can't afford to lose. Lions are a strong unit, but we should be going there to take the choccies and then get back to Suncorp to mount our challenge.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds need to improve their discipline. The Lions have shown this year that they can keep the scoreboard ticking over from penalties and win games despite scoring less tries than their opposition.
They need to improve this out of sight. I detest the fact that we are the most penalised team in the comp.
It's just plain stupid and, not that it was needed, last weekend was evidence of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ash

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Something about being the 4th Aussie team in the competition just brings back flashbacks to 2009.

And in 2009 we got touched up by the Lions at Suncorp in one of the most depressing Reds performances of a bad era.

If there's any complacency appearing heading in to this weekend's match, Richard Graham needs to smack it out of them. We need a win in SA. It's becoming an unwanted hoodoo.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Reports this morning McDuling is going to get a chance off the bench to cover 6. This may create an interesting selection issue as Beau has been handy and injected enthusiasm late in the game. It is possible that McDuling will cover lock/6 with Robinson on the bench and O'Donoghue will miss out. Or maybe Lucas will get a chance with his versatility allowing the bench to be a 6/2 split. The forwards will be tired backing up from last week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Every time I see this thread, it reminds me of...

lion-red.jpg

Hopefully the game is better than the beer.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Same team, save for changes necessary due to fatigue/injury. No one was shocking, everyone tried to follow the game plan - I wouldn't reassess a line-up while on the road unless one of the above pressing problems was present.

I don't understand how the Reds give away so many penalties - anyone got a breakdown of where we are giving them away?

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ha!

Although, to continue to smart arse theme - which rectangular box? In goals, try line to 22... etc.

Because they are going to be punished this week if they infringe in any of the rectangles in their half (and 10m beyond that).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looking through the stats, Rob Simmons, James Horwill, Mike Harris and Saia Fainga'a have all given away a fair few penalties.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Saia is a penalty magnet - I feel like most times there is a penalty involving a ruck or maul I see his mug with that hair-do come flopping out of the breakdown doing a very poor impression of Richie McCaw's "what-sir!?"

Status
Not open for further replies.