• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions vs Reds Rd 6 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A lot of them on the weekend in particular were for holding on. I think Coetzee it was in most instances earning the penalty.
Whilst he was quick to the rucks I don't think all of the penalties were consistent with what I've seen in the majority of other S15 games.
Our discipline is bordering on diabolical at times but I do think that the figures from the Sharks game are probably somewhat inflated over the 'norm'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think they have mostly been at the ruck - and normally on defense.

I can't say for certain, but I suspect that a fair percentage are within the reds own 40m zone, as that is the modish operandi for modern defensive patterns. I friggen hate it when the reds do it and hate it when other teams do it.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lions attack isn't much chop, but their goal kicking and ability to earn penalties around the oponents' half is. They've won most of the games they have to date off of kicking their penalties. Not to mention, they will kick them from 60m out.

First round: 6/6 penalties, 1/3 drop goals to win 21 - 20. (No tries.)
Second round: 6/6 penalties, 3/4 drop goals to win 34 - 10. (1 converted try.)
Fifth round: 4/5 penalties, 2/2 drop goals to win 39 - 36. (3 converted tries, one a little controversial.)

You can see how they score most of their points. Give them a shot at goal 60m out, and expect to give away 3 points. Let them into your red zone, and if they get stuck there expect a drop goal attempt and go again.

If the Reds give away 15 penalties again, they will not win this game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Now get this:

Reds vs Brumbies: 14 penalties conceded, Brumbies kicked 4/6 penalties.
Reds vs Tahs: 13 penalties conceded, Tahs kicked 3/4 penalties.
Reds vs Cheetahs: 13 penalties conceded, Cheetahs kicked 4/6 penalties.
Reds vs Sharks: 15 penalties conceded, Sharks kicked 7/7 penalties.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Literally handing out on average 12-15 points a game. :oops:

The big question is though, for what? We have been giving away penalties for some time now so clearly it is part of our game plan. What is the perceived or intended benefit to giving the oppo a 12-15pt start? :confused:

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Lions attack isn't much chop, but their goal kicking and ability to earn penalties around the oponents' half is. They've won most of the games they have to date off of kicking their penalties. Not to mention, they will kick them from 60m out.

First round: 6/6 penalties, 1/3 drop goals to win 21 - 20. (No tries.)
Second round: 6/6 penalties, 3/4 drop goals to win 34 - 10. (1 converted try.)
Fifth round: 4/5 penalties, 2/2 drop goals to win 39 - 36. (3 converted tries, one a little controversial.)

You can see how they score most of their points. Give them a shot at goal 60m out, and expect to give away 3 points. Let them into your red zone, and if they get stuck there expect a drop goal attempt and go again.

If the Reds give away 15 penalties again, they will not win this game.

Win or lose, your core analysis is right and then the exposure for the Reds it creates, and could easily go on creating if not curtailed. The Lions won't be the last time we meet excellent place and distance side line kickers this season.

Again, win or lose, it will be a revealing marker of the Reds' coaches and players' attitude and technical skills as to whether, for such a key game, they can curtail this clearly dangerous penalty-giving trend now evident in most of their games. Let's watch and hope.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not that it will make a difference to the Reds, but I would love to see what those kicking stats are like when they aren't at altitude.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lions and Stormers by 50.

I know where you're coming from Paarl, but if the Stormers can put 50 on the Brumbies team then I want them swabbed. I watched the Brumbies beat the Waratahs last week and they were awesome. If the Stormers can win by 50 then I'll put the house on them winning the comp; I doubt they've scored 50 points in total this year however.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I know where you're coming from Paarl, but if the Stormers can put 50 on the Brumbies team then I want them swabbed. I watched the Brumbies beat the Waratahs last week and they were awesome. If the Stormers can win by 50 then I'll put the house on them winning the comp; I doubt they've scored 50 points in total this year however.

Hook, line and sinker.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reds are not ding too bad, this year to date. This game is super important .

Tahs still questionable over consistency. Robbo dropped - wow Paddy still there - extra wow. Keps deserves to start but I thought Paddy would have been dropped instead of Robbo

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can't see the reds winning this game. Can't catch, can't ball carry and love giving away points. Which there well aware of but nothing has changed.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Biggsy mate, you're being bloody negative. You've also got terrible grammar but now I'm being a chunt.

The reds are definitely capable of winning this game. If they can reduce the penalties by about five and reduce the dropped ball by even 20% they will be hard to beat.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Reds are $1.60 favourites for this one and rightfully so. Plenty of people saying we can't/won't win this one but I suspect if they had to put their money where their mouth was, it would all be going on the Reds.

We should head home 3 from 5 with 4 games away and the Sth African tour done. If someone had offered me that at the start of the season I wouldn't have waited for the thinking music, you'd take that any day of the week.

The Reds train is rumbling along and building up a head of steam. Get on board!

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Reds are $1.60 favourites for this one and rightfully so. Plenty of people saying we can't/won't win this one but I suspect if they had to put their money where their mouth was, it would all be going on the Reds.

We should head home 3 from 5 with 4 games away and the Sth African tour done. If someone had offered me that at the start of the season I wouldn't have waited for the thinking music, you'd take that any day of the week.

The Reds train is rumbling along and building up a head of steam. Get on board!

CHOOO-CHOOO MOTHER FUDGERS!

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hop
Biggsy mate, you're being bloody negative. You've also got terrible grammar but now I'm being a chunt.

The reds are definitely capable of winning this game. If they can reduce the penalties by about five and reduce the dropped ball by even 20% they will be hard to beat.

So that's about on average since the start of this season and most of last season 10 penalties per game. And against the lions ( boshoff)gun kicker there is 30 pretty much guaranteed points, that's not including his long range drop goals. Lions will be kicking for goal from 50m plus, I don't like being negative but I just see things changing around in 1 week, And hearing the same match interviews on where they went wrong.

I hope I'm proven wrong. Won't be a 1st on this forum.

T

tranquility

I hop

So that's about on average since the start of this season and most of last season 10 penalties per game. And against the lions ( boshoff)gun kicker there is 30 pretty much guaranteed points, that's not including his long range drop goals. Lions will be kicking for goal from 50m plus, I don't like being negative but I just see things changing around in 1 week, And hearing the same match interviews on where they went wrong.

I hope I'm proven wrong. Won't be a 1st on this forum.

You think he will kick 10 penalties? He'll have a sore leg on Sunday after a night like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.